Overall Satisfaction with Zabbix
The company was using a very old version of Nagios at the time. I created a pro/con list for my manager on which monitoring application to switch to. Zabbix ended up being the winner based on features. It is specifically used to monitor EMR servers to ensure they are readily available for Office use at all times. We also used the software to notify support staff if there is an issue. The on-call person will receive the alarm and solve it as needed.
- Nice graphing for non-technical personnel
- Good monitoring system
- Versatile for custom scripts
- Nice options for notification if problems arise
- There was a bit of a learning curve for creating custom scripts, if my script returns a 1 or 0, Zabbix should accept it no matter what and be able to work with it for an alarm
- Before, customers might have to call in if there was an issue. With Zabbix, we had the ability to act before customers noticed in most cases
- Once we had everything set up, we cut down on 40% of calls/tickets
- Nagios and PandoraFMS
Nagios will always be at or near the top, but I really like how sleek Zabbix is. Also, once it's up and running its really helps keep things in order for you and your customers. As for PandoraFMS, it would have beat out Zabbix, but the documentation on PandoraFMS is really lacking.
I think it will work well in just about any environment where monitoring is necessary