Based on 229 reviews and ratings
FortiGate, from Fortinet, and SonicWall TZ are next-gen firewalls (NGFWs). They are competing solutions, however SonicWall TZ aims more at smaller companies as an entry level NGFW, while FortiGate customers include large enterprises. Both vendors are network security specialists and provide related products and services besides their firewalls; see the respective SonicWall and Fortinet vendor pages. Fortinet will tend to be deployed at larger companies and enterprise vis-a-vis SonicWall, with a correspondingly higher price tag.
Both FortiGate and SonicWall TZ present certain advantages that might make them the correct solution for some networks.
FortiGate is an established vendor and the product receives frequent feedback and across the board high ratings. For a few standout features, FortiGate users say its VPN is high performing, its GUI and administrative setup are fluid and easy to understand. Users will get great results when the firewalls are properly configured, which most users say is not hard to do with proper training. Additionally, and unusually for many appliances that can be deployed in enterprise environments, users praise FortiGate for clear and straightforward pricing.
SonicWall TZ is just as highly rated for its market. Reviewers single out its excellent traffic inspection and geolocation based traffic filtering, and highly configurable network access rules controlling who and cannot access network resources. Its antivirus is also highly praised, and users point out that the SonicWall TZ appliance cost is low.
Though these are high rated next-gen firewalls, there are a few considerations that buyers should keep in mind before deploying either solution.
A number of users say the FortiGate GUI, while excellent, takes time getting used to. Training should help get new users up to speed and may be a necessity for many users. Also, firmware upgrades for FortiGate seem to produce an unusually high number of annoying bugs. Opposite SonicWall TZ, FortiGate users find its traffic shaping rules and setup to be less intuitive. This appears to be users’ least favorite feature.
SonicWall TZ’s weak spot appears to be its logs, alerts, and reporting. Particularly the reporting is said to be lacking in detail. And while the appliances are not terribly expensive, users find the subscription cost to be surprisingly complex. Specifically, they complain that the association of the firewall’s various potential functions to separate licenses means licenses can proliferate. The end result is that costs balloon surprisingly as each and every thing the user wants is gated behind its own little recurring fee. This a la carte approach may keep overall cost down, however. SonicWall TZ is also not liked for its interface and admin controls, which are comparatively basic.
SonicWall’s TZ series appliances are available from the company’s former parent company Dell Technologies, among other third-party vendors. The series starts with the lower end TZ350 (available now for around $400) and rise to the TZ600 series for about $1600. To load the firewall with SonicWall Antivirus and Intrusion Prevention comes in at about $300 per year. Advanced Gateway Security, a subscription-based combo of services that adds application control & intelligence as well as content filtering among other features comes in at about $1500 yearly. Its SSL VPN license costs $375 to add.
Lower level Fortinet FortiGate firewalls come in at a meager $280 – $500 per appliance approximately, while the top of the line rack-mountable, unified threat management solution FortiGate 6500F can come in at about 250k to 1mil depending on service bundle features and duration (1-3 years). The Fortigate 2000 – 3400 series of appliances range from about 150k to half a million fully featured, with services bundled.
Provided by the TrustRadius Research Team
Published on October 13, 2020
Likelihood to Recommend
Feature Rating Comparison
Active Directory and LDAP
Firewall Management Console
Reporting and Logging
- It is the most reliable NGFW that we have ever been touch with it.
- You can easily upgrade the firewall cluster firmware without user attention!!!
- User IDentity based feature is fantastic and intrusion prevention just works with least false-positive possible.
- Very reachfull and intuitive GUI, just love it
- If you have multiple sites and you want the connect the sites through secure medium this is best firewall for you.
- There are very advanced features helps you to connect the device easily and securely.
- Easy to connect the sites through advanced routing protocols.
- When we switched to Fortinet Fortigate, it took some time getting used to and become familiar with the new interface. Being used to strictly command-line interfaces, a full GUI-based firewall was something brand new. Careful planning had to be done when creating rules to ensure we didn't miss anything. However, once we got used to the new GUI interface, going from one Fortinet product to another was simple, as Fortinet used the same interface for all of its devices.
- management is confusing has many items that could be improved to facilitate the work to the network administrator
- in the diagnostic tool I would improve the response times, that is, if a ping test is required, it should be quick, since in cases of failures it is sought to minimize the impact as much as possible.
- each function has a different license item, I would place a single license package for all team functions
Likelihood to Renew
Reliability and Availability
Return on Investment
- Fortigates have an interesting bundle model for support and subscription services that make it an attractive option to deploy Firewall, IDS, Ant-virus, anti-SPAM in a single device. The cost of the bundle is pretty much what you pay for the device, not requiring huge expenditures on it's time to renew the hardware.
- VPN access allowed employees to be more flexible and being able to get internal resources from anywhere.
- Lower licensing price compared to competitors saved some money.
- Protecting from unnecessary connections increased performance and uptime.
- One of the firmware versions caused CPU performance degradation that slowed down the Internet speed which caused issues in the call center.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
FortiGate Editions & Modules
Additional Pricing DetailsFortiGate pricing starts at $250 for home office use, up to $300,000 for large enterprise appliances. Must contact sales team for pricing.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
SonicWall TZ Editions & Modules
|SonicWall TZ270 (hardware only)||$414.04|
|SonicWall TZ270 TotalSecure - Essential Edition (1 Year)||$689.16|
|SonicWall TZ270 Wireless-AC (hardware only)||$502.57|
|SonicWall TZ270 Wireless-AC TotalSecure - Essential Edition (1 Year)||$796.76|
|SonicWall TZ270 Wireless-AC TotalSecure - Advanced Edition (1 Year)||$930.24|
|SonicWall TZ370 (hardware only)||$618.34|
|SonicWall TZ370 TotalSecure - Essential Edition (1 Year)||$973.82|
|SonicWall TZ370 TotalSecure - Advanced Edition (1 Year)||$1085.50|
|SonicWall TZ370 High Availability||$493.04|
|SonicWall TZ370 Wireless-AC (hardware only)||$708.23|
|SonicWall TZ370 Wireless-AC TotalSecure - Essential Edition (1 Year)||$1107.29|
|SonicWall TZ370 Wireless-AC TotalSecure - Advanced Edition (1 Year)||$1232.60|
|SonicWall TZ470 (hardware only)||$973.82|
|SonicWall TZ470 TotalSecure - Essential Edition (1 Year)||$1596.25|
|SonicWall TZ470 TotalSecure - Advanced Edition (1 Year)||$1805.99|
|SonicWall TZ470 High Availability||$776.33|
|SonicWall TZ470 Wireless-AC (hardware only)||$1063.71|
|SonicWall TZ470 Wireless-AC TotalSecure - Essential Edition (1 Year)||$1729.72|
|SonicWall TZ470 Wireless-AC TotalSecure - Advanced Edition (1 Year)||$1876.82|
|SonicWall TZ570 with 8x5 Support (1 Year)||$1450.51|
|SonicWall TZ570 TotalSecure - Essential Edition (1 Year)||$2006.20|
|SonicWall TZ570 TotalSecure - Advanced Edition (1 Year)||$2200.97|
|SonicWall TZ570 High Availability (HA) Unit||$988.80|
|SonicWall TZ570 Wireless-AC||$1356.54|
|SonicWall TZ570 Wireless-AC with 8x5 Support (1 Year)||$1588.07|
|SonicWall TZ570 Wireless-AC TotalSecure - Essential Edition (1 Year)||$2192.80|
|SonicWall TZ570 Wireless-AC TotalSecure - Advanced Edition (1 Year)||$2442.04|
|SonicWall TZ270 TotalSecure - Advanced Edition (1 Year)||$769.52|
|SonicWall TZ270 High Availability||$329.60|
|SonicWall TZ670 with 8x5 Support (1 Year)||$1867.28|
|SonicWall TZ670 TotalSecure - Essential Edition (1 Year)||$2574.15|
|SonicWall TZ670 TotalSecure - Advanced Edition (1 Year)||$2868.34|
|SonicWall TZ670 High Availability (HA) Unit||$1273.46|