<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring#question3' target='_blank' rel='nofollow noopener noreferrer'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow noopener noreferrer'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>Score 8.6 out of 100
Based on 175 reviews and ratings
Likelihood to Recommend
Hotjar is suitable for tracking data. If you know a certain page isn't being visited on a site, Hotjar may provide extra insight into how many users are clicking CTAs to that page for instance. So Hotjar is a good tool to know the 'why' if something is going wrong on your website.Hotjar is less appropriate for use on its own; it should be used in conjunction with other data. This is because it can be unreliable. For instance, a heatmap may be unreliable if it hasn't rendered correctly.
Free services provide a wonderful resource for people on tight budgets. If willing to put forth work in data managing/analysis and If basic high traffic information or drilling down specific users in low traffic situations is needed, then StatCounter may fit your needs. If automation and low overhead are a high priority then some more expensive packages can provide the same and more information with less hassle. Because StatCounter is free, there is low risk to see if StatCounter works in your specific usage scenario.
- User session video capture - HotJar allows us to conduct usability testing as if we were sitting behind a user, interacting with our web software. Although we don't get audio, we can see exactly how a user interacts and moves around our software. We can see clicks, mouse movements, time spent during any given activity, and more. And best of all, the video timeline gives us timestamps/markers where major interactions happened, allowing us to find those interactions quickly.
- Hot spot heat maps - Just like any good analytics tool, HotJar provides great colored heat maps of how frequently users clicked/interacted on different parts of our web page. This gives us a quick, at-a-glance idea of what our users are focusing on.
- Dynamic user surveys - Sometimes pure interaction data is not enough to get the info we need. Luckily, HotJar gives us the ability to create dynamically-driven surveys on our web app. These surveys can be change without needing to re-deploy our entire application - they can be updated through the HotJar tool.
Employee in OtherComputer Software Company, 201-500 employees
- I can visit my site in real time showing pages visited and the duration of the visit.
- It shows very detailed data on where visitors came from.
- I could monitor the performance of campaigns in real-time as visitors came to my site from a promotion.
- The video recording feature is very slow to use. I know there is a very powerful process going on (saving your CSS and the DOM movements you make) but anyway it's slow to use.
- Hotjar itself is heavy and has effects on your load times. This is a very important issue and I hope they're working on that.
- Adding more segmentation would be nice. For example, being able to connect your API or more information to show relevant polls or feedback buttons to certain users. Aggregated info is hard to process.
- I would like to see our referral traffic ranked in order of most to least. I'm not sure if this function exists already, but if it does, I do not know how to do it.
- Maybe put the average time on site on the same chart as the visitors and page views graphs.
- I feel as though some tasks can be streamlined, but this is not just unique to statcounter but to other analytics sites I've used. But people like digging really deep into the data, but for people like me who use it for one purpose, a shorter one-stop-shop version would be nice. Like one page where everything can be seen.
Likelihood to Renew
Based on 2 answers
Even though the heat maps and user recordings were useful, our website was significantly slowed down after we installed Hotjar, so much so, that it took over a minute for our blog to load. The data that we gathered was not worth the length that it took our website to load.
Based on 7 answers
I have not had any issues with malfunctions when using statcounter, so that would lead me to continue using the program. I would like to see more social media measuring tools, but again, we don't use the program to dig really deep. We're just looking to figure out who is reading what articles on our website are the most liked. And it helps lead our editorial team in the right direction.
Based on 2 answers
It has never taken me more than a few seconds to figure out how to do what I want to do. I hope the Hotjar team remains committed to keeping the software intuitive to use as they continue to add more capabilities!
Vice-President in CorporateInternet Company, 1-10 employees
Based on 1 answer
No other solution offers the full suite of visitor recording, heatmapping and scroll mapping, polls, surveys, and funnel tracking at such a reasonable price point. Every other solution compromises either on features or price, with many sacrificing on both - fewer features and higher cost. Additionally, Hotjar's support is exceptional in comparison to alternatives, ferreting out bugs and recommending solutions for specific isolated issues on live chat or within 24 hours via email.
Wish StatCounter had a more comprehensive report feature comparable to Google Analytics. I feel StatCounter is easier to use and to understand when compared to Google. Some people prefer Google Analytics, but it provides so much more information that the average person really needs. It meets basic needs. If you are looking for something more robust and high level of detail, I would recommend Google Analytics instead
Engineer in EngineeringBuilding Materials Company, 1001-5000 employees
Return on Investment
- User Testing Alternative - Instead of hiring UX testers, we can leverage our actual customers to determine how they use our website. This has helped frame website redesign discussions on several occasions.
- Landing Page Design - We've designed our landing pages based on user feedback from heatmaps we've gathered from Hotjar. Understanding where to place CTAs and other pieces based on user interaction has helped us streamline our landing page design.
- Device Usage - Part of the data provided by Hotjar includes which device a user is visiting from. This helps us understand how mobile users work differently than desktop users.
- StatCounter enabled us to track what works and doesn't work with regards to driving web traffic. On a personal use level, StatCounter enabled me to gauge how much additional effort I needed to make to reach the traffic levels needed on my website.
Manager in MarketingMarketing and Advertising Company, 51-200 employees
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Hotjar Editions & Modules
- 2k pageviews per day
- per month; 10k pageviews per day
- per month; 20k pageviews per day
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?—
StatCounter Editions & Modules