Based on 267 reviews and ratings
Both XMind and MindManager are mind mapping tools, a type of diagramming software. Each tool includes concept ideation features that aim to help users create topics and visualize relationships between them. MindManager and XMind are both preferred by enterprise businesses on TrustRadius, though XMind offers a forever free version for personal use while MindManager does not.
Each product includes a range of mind mapping and productivity features, including:
- Various types of mindmap templates (radial map, fishbone, treemap, matrix, timeline, org charts, free-form, concept, flow-chart, etc.)
- Ability to export maps as PNG, SVG, PDF, and markdown files
- Map customization using colors, fonts, stickers, bubbles, themes, boundaries, shapes, etc.
- Ability to link to other files or webpages within maps
- Ability to add notes to specific topics or relationships within the map
Both products have a few unique features as well. For example, XMind allows users to view a written map outline, insert chemical and mathematical equations, and directly share their map via email, on social media platforms, and through note-taking applications. The platform also offers mobile and desktop applications and allows users to log into up to five devices with one subscription.
MindManager has a winder variety of mindmap templates than XMind, including templates for ven diagrams, funnels, onion charts, and Kanban-style charts. It also has a set of project planning and management features such as adding resources and priority markers to topics, Gantt charts, topics task tags, start & end dates, task duration and effort levels, and the ability to assign tasks to other users.
When compared with MindManager, XMind’s biggest limitation is the lack of robust project management features, including Gantt charts and task creation and assignment.
On the other hand, MindManager’s main limitation is that it does not have a flexible pricing model and does not have a forever free version, while XMind does. MindManager also does not offer mobile applications.
Both products have a one-time license fee, however, XMind also offers biannual and annual subscription pricing options as well.
XMind offers a basic version of its software for free and has subscription-based pricing that starts at $40 per 6 months or $60 per year. Users can also pay a one-time license fee of $129 for access to XMind Pro 8.x. XMind offers a special discount for students, teachers, and education institutions.
While MindManager doesn’t have a forever free version, it does offer a 30-day free trial. After that, it has a one-time license fee of $349 for Windows and Mac desktop applications. It also has a ‘special licensing program’ for enterprise and government users, though prices for these plans are not disclosed on MindManager’s website.
Which Is Right For You?
Both products provide users with robust mind mapping features, but each has different ideal use cases.
XMind is a great option for individuals looking for easy to use mind mapping software for personal use. It’s a good fit for concept ideation and workflow mapping. However, it may not be the right solution for large organizations looking for diagramming software with built-in project management features.
MindManager is better suited for teams that need software to help them ideate, manage, track, and execute projects. It can also handle complex topics mapping and visualize relationships between topics, tasks, and processes. However, MindManager is not ideal for users looking for a free mind mapping software for personal use.
Provided by the TrustRadius Research Team
Published on July 8, 2020
Likelihood to Recommend
- Organizing information.
- Doing research.
- Organizing goals.
- Planning tasks.
- Planning meetings.
- Structure for writing documents.
- Sharing documents among the teams/multiple users.
- General-purpose infographics.
- Writing longer paragraphs in the note field is very limited.
- Integration with GitHub.
- Integration with Confluence.
- XMind uses a proprietary document format which is not indexed by search programs on a PC or a Mac. This means that one cannot search in the content of the XMind documents.
- Workshop capture and management: a fluid data capture tool that is unsurpassed for planning and recording information captured on the fly.
- Content planning and organisation: the ability to develop large and complex output documents by beginning with an unstructured set of ideas that gradually take on shape and structure as you progress because of the ease in which you can reorganise your thoughts and information.
- Ability to generate output in multiple formats: being able to generate output of maps in a range of formats including Word documents, drilldown maps, table-like structures, etc. means that there is always a way of disseminating the content of maps to any audience.
- I find formatting a challenge. Example, make all the boxes the same format and fonts so when you add a box, it understands the format of the top level box.
- I have played around with some of the templates but find creating my own each time is better route. The project plan template is very good but I find myself deleting boxes and again, takes more time than creating a new map every time.
- I try to get colleagues to use MM but they are intimidated by the UI. I am really comfortable with it but to them it can look more complex than it really is.
- Actually nothing but for more freedom on worksheet it would be better if I can move main topics freely.
Likelihood to Renew
Corel purchase. With the huge advance of sharing via browser HTML even 1
user can affect many. And, actually, using MM kind of forced my rigid
brain to rethink how I categorize and classify information/projects.
idea of paying $69USD for an annual cost is more than fair and a great
model for Corel/Mindjet to keep rolling out improvements!
Reliability and Availability
Return on Investment
- Productivity - Shortening my thinking time to an outcome - when I have a problem to think through, my first choice is MindManager. It gives me the space to simply get everything down on the page and then sort it all out.
- Quality - The quality of our thinking is improved when we think together using MindManager - we never stop at first answers and MindManager allows us to think deeper and find connections that were not previously considered.
- Control - Often we will use MindManager to maintain a list of client requirements and success factors in a single place. This has helped us out many times from an engagement management and control standpoint.
- You can see big picture and in a faster way can drill down ideas. It makes it easier to dominate states, ideas, analysis, etc. So it make you learn faster and respond faster and smarter.
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
MindManager Editions & Modules
|Organizations||Contact sales team|
- per perpetual license
- per year