Descript

Descript Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Ratings and Reviews

Beau Roberts | TrustRadius Reviewer
Descript is currently being used by the Marketing department for developing videos & podcasts, and transcribing audio and video files for developing blog posts and training materials.
  • Document-style editing of video and audio. This is really a game changer, enabling people with no traditional video or editing skills to record, edit, and publish video and audio projects without help. And the overdub feature really saves time and effort by removing the need to re-record small audio changes during the editing process.
  • Automated Transcription. Like all machine-based transcription, I wish that it was more accurate sometimes, but it is very competitive with other solutions I've used and it's very nicely integrated into product and workflow.
  • Automatic identification and removal of filler words, repeated words, etc. Again this is really a game changer for me in terms of being able to quickly improve the quality of recorded audio without needing to do manual editing.
  • Integrated one-click publishing. Being able to publish with one click to multiple formats or their cloud-based hosting is very convenient.
  • UX Performance. Because it's synced to the cloud, there can be some delay or lag in the UX when editing.
  • Editing Transcriptions. Machine-based transcriptions always need some post-editing. While Descript makes it pretty easy, I still think there is some room for improvement. For instance, I would like to be able to automatically update for all occurrences of a word after fixing it in the transcript.
  • Automatic importing of YouTube and hosted video files. I often have to download a video from YouTube to be able to import it into Descript. Would be nice to be able to just paste in the URL to the video and have Descript automatically import it.
  • Transcription of internal presentations and web conferences. It's great for capturing and transcribing the audio from presentations, demos, etc. which can then be used to develop training materials, blog posts, etc.
  • Podcasts. Makes it really easy to record, edit, and publish video or audio podcasts.
  • Promotional videos. Streamlines and accelerates the process for developing videos.
Samantha Bennett | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Descript to create scripts for webinars and podcasts. I find the system very easy to use, and I like the ability to share, comment, and edit. I can see that Descript has a lot more functionality than I am currently using, and I look forward to exploring those new features. But for now, the plain old visible transcription service works well for me.
  • I like the sidebar - breaking my scripts up into different "chapters" makes it easier to create quickly.
  • I like that it auto-corrects punctuation, capitalization, etc. as I polish the scripts.
  • It's easy for my team and my collaborators to read/listen, remark, and create useable transcripts.
  • I sometimes wish I could "block and move" or delete bigger blocks of text all at once.
For creating scripts, transcripts, and podcast outlines, Descript can't be beaten. It's robust, reliable, and easy to operate. As I mentioned, I understand they have a bunch of new capabilities around video editing, but I haven't had a reason to try that yet.
I use it for editing my live show and podcast. It's a fantastic tool that makes editing much faster. Also creating support content like quotes, clips, and audiograms is simpler. I don't have to listen through everything; I can simply edit the transcript. I'd highly recommend the tool to anyone seeking to edit audio files or create small sound bites of contents from their recordings.
  • Audio file editing via transcript
  • Creating audiograms
  • Subtitles
  • I would like to see direct publishing of content to SM
  • Send highlighted text (i.e., a quote) to Canva automatically to create post artwork
  • After highlighting quote passages, send all those highlighted in one color to a text file with the name of the speaker, like a list of quotes.
  • Be able to set a series of tags and from that, Descript should create a list of highlights with the time stamps. Maybe the tags can have a title that goes with the time stamp.
For audio editing, I find it most suitable. For video editing, less so because if you edit by the transcript, the video can get jumpy.
Melissa Kwan | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Descript to edit all of our customer interviews and videos to be hosted inside eWebinar. We used to spend hours and hours on another video editing software and not only was it hard to learn, I could never get it to export in the same high resolution that I was editing in. Descript has saved us at least 10 hours of time per week. Taking editing time from an hour on something small to a few seconds.
  • Automatically generates a transcript.
  • Export snippets by highlighting text on the transcript.
  • Exports in the same hi-res quality.
  • Free recorder
  • Responsive support
  • Easily add pictures, shapes, etc. into the video.
  • Editing video elements by editing the transcript.
  • Easy to learn.
  • Doesn't have editing features that pros might require.
For any startup that uses video in their business, Descript is a great way for anyone in the organization to use without bothering their team or hiring a contractor. It's great for demos, instructional videos, eWebinars, anything that doesn't require production-level editing. It's not going to be great for people who need video production and a lot of the other deep features that 20-year-old solutions may have. But it's also not made for that.
Jürgen Strauss | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Descript for a range of uses - recording audio, transcribing audio and video content, editing audio and video content, captioning videos and also for repurposing existing video and audio content by transcribing and using the text content.

Descript is a tool that is easy to use and makes video and audio editing so simple - just like editing a word document!
  • Audio Editing
  • Video Editing
  • Video Captions
  • Navigating multiple projects and files
  • Ability to duplicate image and text overlays
  • Ability to apply custom templated branding to text overlays
Brecht Palombo | TrustRadius Reviewer
We're a small company I use it to create unique content for my team then turn into videos audio and articles. I also use it to create pre-recorded webinars and training videos as well as a weekly Members only content video
  • Pre-record a webinar
  • Create exclusive member video content
  • Record a sales video and edit it
  • Create a combination sales video in sales page
  • Podcast production with multimodal
  • Would prefer a completely separate recording in full size for screen and web cam
  • Files aren't the earliest to manage can't always get them where I want them when I have multiple files
  • Adding multiple recordings to a single composition could be better
Super easy for production but sure done reason the export doesn't seem high quality so I'm not sure it's a great solution where quality is Paramount. So far it's best for how-to articles, sales videos as Newberry only content
I have been using Descript to transcribe a number of User Interviews and Focus Groups.
  • Transcription
  • Generous free tier
  • Great desktop app
  • Ability to remove filler words and record directly within the app
  • When editing a transcript it can get a little cumbersome, as a double click doesn't always do what you think it will
  • Some features aren't that intuitive (what is resize word gap) for beginners
  • A tutorial/wizard as soon as you sign up would be very useful
Great for transcribing User Interviews, Focus Groups etc. If you need to heavily edit the text of the transcription (formatting or foreign words, etc) it's not that intuitive
Descript is used for our podcast recordings and the making of youtube videos. It is used to help with our editing process and making. The problem it solves is editing podcasts and videos without needing to listen to every clip. Descript is able to transcribe our content and edit based on the transcription.
  • Editing video content with a lot of speaking
  • Transcribing video and podcast content
  • Makes editing content with a lot of speaking really easy
  • Descript can do better at actual video editing
  • I wish there were more coloring features
  • There could be more features when it comes to sound editing
If you are starting podcasting for the first time and need an easy editor that will save you tons of time, I highly recommend Descript. Rather than needing to listen to every audio clip, Descript makes it super easy because it transcribes everything. Descript can also take out filler words super easy too!
I currently use Descript as a radio journalist to organize my audio clips, highlight important soundbites, lightly edit them, and batch-export certain audio selections. It helps me hit my daily filing deadlines as a reporter and it serves as a backup and library for all of the audio files I capture in the field.
  • Transcribing audio into text
  • Detailed and selective batch exports of audio clips
  • Project organization and file access
  • Doesn't produce a formal invoice that I can submit for reimbursement
  • Still not sure how I would use this to produce an entire story with narration
Descript is fantastic when you have collected a lot of audio (or video) for a story or project and you need to scrub through it to look for the best, most salient things people say. Then you can color-code and export your selections. This helped me immensely when I was working on a radio series with multiple stories and five to six voices per story. I have not yet used it for start-to-finish editing--typically I use it in conjunction with a multitrack editor like Hindenburg or Acoustica.
It is used by people who are working with creating content. I am using it very often for two main purposes: to create short video clips out of longer video recordings and to use it as a transcription tool. It is very helpful to all people who are looking for an easy and intuitive tool to help them with basic video editing and transcription.
Also, in Corona times, when everything is in Zoom this is even more important.
  • Super easy video editing.
  • Transcription is more accurate than other services.
  • Nice catalogued library of your videos.
  • Subtitling options could be more customized.
  • Accuracy in transcription can always be improved.
  • Name of some operations is nonsensical.
It is very much suited to extract and create any content out of long, recorded content (I use videos most often). Transcription is really decent and that is a big bonus. For people who want advanced editing, this is a too rudimentary tool.
Descript is used by [the] research analysts to transcribe and clean up interview recording transcripts. It is fast, and effective, and saves us a lot of money over paying for humans to transcribe calls. It automatically takes out filler words and is easy to import and export different kinds of files.
  • Transcribe audio interviews to text.
  • Identifies filler words, cleans them up to make the conversation smoother and easier to read.
  • Integrates with Zoom and other recording tools.
  • The product is updated almost every day. I would rather do updates not so often.
  • Sometimes (rarely) it doesn't see a new Zoom recording, and I have to manually upload it.
  • It still gets some words wrong, but it is improving.
Transcribing audio phone calls for sales or research. It can get you a transcript for a 45-minute call in less than five minutes, and let you export it to Word or some other format easily. I am sure I am not using all the features Descript has, but it is a valuable tool I use every day.

Descript Scorecard Summary

What is Descript?

Descript is a collaborative audio/video editor, from the company of the same name in San Francisco, that works like a doc. It includes transcription, a screen recorder, publishing, full multitrack editing, and AI tools.

Descript Pricing