Druva Phoenix Reviews

TrustRadius TRUE BadgeTrustRadius Top Rated for 2020

Marty Vijverberg | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 28, 2020

Reliable, easy to access and secure backups with great support

We use Druva Phoenix to create backups of our onsite data and cloud based applications like Office 365 for our entire organisation. It solved our requirements for an offsite backup and cloud data backup in one go.
  • Backup speed.
  • Knowledgeable support.
  • Easy to use interface.
  • Some features are a bit more difficult to find and take some clicks to get to.
Organisations with onsite (virtual or physical) and cloud based applications can benefit from Druva Phoenix as it offers backups functionality for both. Smaller offices can easily create safe offsite backups for relatively low costs.
We use Druva Phaonios to backup our onsite virtual server running on VmWare, physical servers and cloud based application and data such as Exchange online, SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams (Office 365), etc... Backups are created quick, reliable and without any user interaction after configuring the backup jobs.
The user interface is very user friendly but some features may need some work so they are easier to access.
The few occasions we contacted support their help was very useful and we got the issue solved quickly.
Read Marty Vijverberg's full review
Vince Terry | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 22, 2020

Druva - It just works!!!

We use Druva Phoenix to backup our VMware datacenter nightly to an offsite cloud storage repository. The entire organization uses the prouduct. We solved slow on-prem backups that had random periodic issues.
  • Just runs...and runs successfully!
  • Dedupe and compression.
  • Reporting.
  • Integration to vCenter.
  • DR needs to be brought into the portal and not outsourced entirely through AWS' portal.
Druva works well in an environment where you need backups and specifically some sort of cloud based retention. It might not be best for organization with sensitive or classified data.
We use Druva for VMware Datacenter backups as well as file server and database backups. The solution works great for all!
Easy to use and just works!
Support respond very quickly to questions and has very knowledgeable staff assisting.
Read Vince Terry's full review
Paul Sevick | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 02, 2020

Druva Phoenix...The perfect server backup solution.

We are current Druva inSync users, and were invited by Druva to try a trial of Phoenix, which we did in the past year. We fully implemented Phoenix to back up our collection of 25 VMware servers, as well as 4 physical servers located in our branch offices. We were using CommVault at the time, and were looking for a cloud-based solution to shore up our disaster recovery efforts.
  • It's easy to implement and manage.
  • Versioning.
  • Very small overhead, just a simple agent install.
  • Data transfer speed.
  • Minor administration flaws.
  • VMware thick thin disk space is unclear in the admin console.
Druva Phoenix is an excellent cloud-based product that extremely is well suited for virtual and physical environments. Due to pricing structures, it would probably be more suited for medium to large data environments to realize a positive return on investment. In our case, we were backing up 25 virtual servers and 4 physical servers. When comparing costs against our current CommVault solution, it was substantially more expensive.
We were backing up virtual servers in vSphere and all the associated virtual drives. We also had several SQL databases scattered around that we were backing up. In addition, we had 4 branch office servers as well. In total we had approximately 22TB of data. The initial backup of this data did take quite some to sync out to the cloud. Once complete, everything ran very smoothly.
It's just a great easy to use, easy to administer product. Cloud-based and available co-located data gives great peace of mind. You can pretty much eliminate all backup hardware, software, tapes, and tape drives, etc... Once implemented, Phoenix will take care of everything with nothing more than a small agent installed on each server.
We did run into some issues with our virtual environment. There was a discrepancy between the data sizes we were calculating vs. what the Phoenix cloud console was reporting. This was important, since costs are determined by how much cloud storage you consume. We contacted support, and it turned into an issue with thick/thin disk provisioning within VMware. Their support was completely on top of the problem the minute we reported it and very responsive.
Read Paul Sevick's full review
Ratnodeep Roy | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 30, 2020

Druva Phoenix Review

We are managing a US client who has Druva Phoenix configured for VM's, and physical and MS-SQL servers. We are able to backup the complete VM in a much shorter time. the one standout feature is restoring to a different vcenter, restoring vmdk is also a good option. it can handle the small physical machines pretty well
  • Handling of snapshots using hot snapshot method.
  • Support for backups and restores of MS-SQL servers.
  • Logs can be downloaded at will for details troubleshoot purpose.
  • Reports configuration.
  • Alerting.
  • Access management for non-admin users.
  • Support for exchange.
  • Support for other DB's.
  • Extended support for Linux based servers/VM's.
Druva is well suited for smaller environments. It is not for those who have huge servers as the entire process depends upon the proxy pool. it is also dependent upon the amount of proxies configured and one proxy can handle only 3 simultaneous vm's and also if any user snapshot is present , the cbt will be reset and the next backup will be a full backup , heavily depend upon usn journal of physical machines.
Virtual machines, MS-SQL servers, and file systems. it actually handles VM and SQL servers pretty well. Virtual machines backup are pretty fast but if added up as hotadd to proxy only ,so placing proxy on all the esxi host cluster is a good idea . SQL backup has an option to take the transaction logs , however if backup fails , we cannot run the transactional backups again , need to wait for next backup.
Druva is useful in managing virtual machine workloads as well as databases.
It is alright. They have resource crunch and the responses are always a bit too late.
Read Ratnodeep Roy's full review
July 23, 2020

Easy to Deploy, Great Support

We use Druva Phoenix for our server and database backup of all of our important applications. We had a previous data backup provider, but the cost was more than we thought was worth it. Now, we do not need an appliance on site, and our data is backed up in the cloud at very affordable pricing.
  • Druva Phoenix is easy to set up for our environment.
  • Support was immediately helpful for me.
  • The tutorials provided are very informative.
  • It would be nice to have more control over levels if different users - specifically in controlling what email notifications the second admin receives.
  • While the tutorials give great instructions, perhaps setting up some jobs could be a little more intuitive.
Based on my experience with Druva Phoenix, in our relatively small environment, it is a perfect Cloud backup solution. It may be well suited for all sizes of companies, but with our few servers and databases, it works perfect.
We use Phoenix to backup our Windows Virtual Machines, a File Server and a MS SQL Database. They were all very easy to set up, reports are emailed weekly and upon any problem, and the restore process is simple. Very effective solution.
Our system is a pretty simple system and so for us the usability is pretty easy. It does seem to have lots of more complex configurations possible to make it more powerful, and I feel that they could get overwhelming and require a bit more admin time than I have to give it. So, I rate it very high but not a 10 as I'd be worried about being too complex in a more complex environment.
I had to call twice for support for something that I was not figuring out, and both times they guided me through it to resolution right away.
March 06, 2020

Finally: A cloud-based backup solution! Goodbye Windows Server Backup.

Druva Phoenix is a relative newcomer to our administrative arsenal. Until recently, we only backed up user and server data to local NAS devices (a mixture of Netgear and Synology), but the drive towards the cybernetic clouds has seen us consider alternative arrangements. Before Druva, we used a combination of Windows Server Backup for our Hyper-V VMs and sync for our Unix-based Samba file servers, we've grown up a lot since those dark days. Finally, our backups are all in one place (from an admin point of view, at least), and our status visibility and awareness is top-notch.
  • Recoverability: The speed with which backups can be located and restored is the best I've ever seen.
  • Visibility: it's easy to keep an eye on what's successfully backing up and, more importantly, what's not.
  • Availability: Anywhere, anytime; if you need to recover data in a jiffy you're not tied to a specific local server interface - the web console is easily accessible from anywhere.
  • Simplicity: Configuration of backup jobs is straightforward and guides easily followable.
  • I'd like to see a mobile app.
  • The main (default) dashboard is a tinsy bit cluttered. By default, there are irrelevant entries for inSync and CloudRanger alongside Phoenix. I just want Phoenix, nothing else. I guess it's just their way of exposing their other products to unsuspecting users. A really minor niggle.
  • I can't see how to enable MFA; it's certainly an option for Druva's CloudRanger product. This might just be me being dim/blind.
  • It's always difficult to come up with negatives when you've only had great experiences with a product.
We'd always felt a little uncomfortable about our backup routines. Sync'd copies of our Unix file servers on NAS boxes didn't feel like best practice, and the less said about Windows Server Backup the better. When Druva came along it made us all sit up, think and then issue an intrigued "hmmmmm" sound. Off-site backup without the hassle of stuffing pockets with DAT tapes? "Hmmmmm... this could work". Right now, all of our major systems are still on-premises based—two server rooms separated by 200m of single-mode fibre. Backing up each location to the other room worked OK, but we never really felt truly safe from a major disaster. Druva Phoenix simplifies things considerably, whilst seriously increasing our business continuity prospects. Obviously our original approach to backups was, given that the NAS devices had been bought some years ago, largely free. The systems involved were rather too bespoke and, quite frankly, fragile. Using this Enterprise-class solution has brought in additional costs, but you largely get what you pay for; simplicity and reliability.
We back up all of our data to Druva Phoenix these days - 49 Hyper-V VMs at the last count - and our local Synology NAS HA pair's file system (which hosts our users shared and personal network drives) is backed up into a separate job. Backup and restore have worked flawlessly during testing (I've been mightily impressed by restoration times of entire VMs) and the file system backup has saved one or two of our users' bacon a couple of times now. I have been pleasantly surprised by file transfer times; it actually makes our gigabit leased line work for its money.
I'm a sucker for software that does exactly what it says it will do, especially if said task is carried out with a minimum of fuss. Initial setup time for Druva Phoenix was minimal, job creation a cinch and monitoring of successful and unsuccessful backups as easy as you like. What's not to love about that?
I can't downvote this facet on account of my never having to call upon Druva's Tech Support. Self-help is always my first port of call and the documentation provided by Druva has allowed me to proceed to a point where I can confidently use the system. Even without support, I trust the system implicitly. That said, I'm pretty sure if and when I need it, it'll be awesome.
ERIC TYLER HICKES | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 24, 2020

Working with Druva has been a great experience!

We currently use the Druva Phoenix platform for our entire data center infrastructure. This includes bare metal, Hyperv as well as VMWare. They have a solid product that just does not come close to any other cloud back-up solutions we have used in the past. As with any product there is the occasional bump in the road, but what truly sets Druva apart from the competition - their support staff. From their response time on a case to the adept knowledge of the support team. We look forward to many more years of a great product and an excellent support staff.
  • Ease of use
  • Support staff
  • Honestly no cons
Druva Phoenix is a perfect fit for our data center infrastructure.
We are utilizing Phoenix for bare metal blade servers, HyperV as well as VMware. We seem to have more issue with VMWare - but I think it is more of a VMWare shortcoming than Phoenix itself. Phoenix handles our BM and HV infrastructure consistently without issue.
- Ease of use
- Versatility
I just can't say it enough - their support site and their support staff is the best!
Read ERIC TYLER HICKES's full review
Ben Coppard | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 19, 2019

Excellent backup and deduplication software!

It's being utilized across our whole organization and is a key part of our BCP. Having a cloud-based backup is essential to our risk management and information security. Our IT infrastructure is completely backed up and ready to restore at a moments notice, and Druva Phoenix's exceptional uptime means access to files we'd rather store in a cloud backup is quick and simple.
  • Quick and efficient backup restores
  • Simple and easy to use interface
  • Virtual machine backup and restoration
  • Disaster recovery/cloud based serverhosting is an additional cost, would like to see this feature included at a basic level
  • More dashboard options
  • Less client updates
Very well suited for a small company looking to host their backups off-site and have instant restores available. Sites with branch sites would also be a good fit.

Big companies requiring a more robust backup and disaster recovery solution (cloud-based server hosting in disaster situations) may find cheaper options elsewhere, as the disaster recovery options add on a significant price.
We are using virtualised hyper-v's and physical servers which it manages very effectively and without issue. We've only had to test restores on our Hyper V's but they've worked perfectly when carrying these out, and the physical server file backups are always handled easily and effectively.
I've had no issues with it at all since implementation, and it has served us extremely well as a backup product. We have saved over 3k since its implementation and our backup service has improved dramatically.
Excellent support when required. Implementation support when initially setting Druva Phoenix up was excellent. It meant I was up and running with the product quickly and knew how to set up my own backup schedules and restores without issue.
Read Ben Coppard's full review
Tyler Cook | TrustRadius Reviewer

Direct to Cloud Backups without the headache

We are currently using Druva Phoenix as our on prem backup solution. The IT Infrastructure team is the primary users of this software. We use this as our file level and VM Level backup and recovery tool.
  • Cloud Storage On Prem Backups
  • Recovery
  • Ease of use
  • Limited in some advanced features like pre and post scripting
Druva is an awesome product for your on prem backups. We currently backup 250 systems with a mix of physical (less than 15) and virtual. We've used this in both VMware and HyperV environments. We're able to acquire new companies and add them into our backup environment without needing to purchase new hardware. Some locations we can simple install the backup agent on the Windows hosts and get file level backups. Other companies if they have a virtualized environment we're able to deploy a new backup proxy and have backups running in less than a day.
We primarily use Druva Phoenix for our VMware environment. We're able to deploy backup proxies and get a site up and running in as little as an hour. Once we add the servers to a backup policy, we very rarely have to do much with the software afterwards. The backups just run.

For the few physical backups we have, we simply installed the agents and selected the files we needed. The backups just run.

We may have a failed backup once or twice a week.
Certain backup solutions can be cumbersome on how they actually work. Where that's properly deploying hardware or software that will house the backups. Druva is different where the software and infrastructure is completely managed. All we needed to do is deploy agents and proxies and point the backups to Druva Phoenix.
Most issues I have can be solved without opening a ticket. But if I need to get in touch with a support agent, I can open a chat request and within minutes have a tech on the end assisting me. The few tickets I had to open were resolved on the first call.
Read Tyler Cook's full review
Ross Parrent | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 22, 2019

Phoenix keeps our call center running!

Phoenix is being used in my department for VM backups. We have a few dozen VMs and a SQL Server. These are business-critical servers.
  • Scheduling is quite functional.
  • Restoration is simple and easy.
  • The support team is always available and quite knowledgable.
  • Sometimes I find it hard to locate specific functionality. It's often that I know how to traverse many objects to find what I'm looking for, but I'm always able to get to it. I'm thinking of attempting to edit a specific backup policy for a specific server. That was a few weeks ago, so it's not really fresh in my mind.
  • I've never received a response on the web chat with support.
Druva works well for VMs and SQL Server. I have occassionally sought to backup a VMware Host, but it won't support that scenario. Also, Avaya has a native version of vCenter called Avaya Virtualization Platform, but Druva can't work with it, so I don't use my Avaya product because I can't use Druva to back up the VMs.
VMware and MS SQL Server. Very effective.
It's easy, once you work with it and surmount the mild learning curve. Documentation is concise and answers questions readily and completely.
I always get a response within a few hours, usually less than an hour. The only thing that never works for me is the online chat.
Read Ross Parrent's full review
Willard Stark | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 24, 2019

Druva Phoenix, A Price to Pay to Not Worry About Back-ups

Druva Phoenix is currently being used to back-up all of our company's servers and important information. I work for a holdings company that shares IT assets between 5 affiliated companies. All of the companies are able to benefit from our server back-ups. It solves our need to constantly maintain an off-site backup as well as gives us additional options and peace of mine in case of a disaster. Having Druva Phoenix means I know our data is backed up and safe, and we no longer have to worry about data loss.
  • Back-up policies with complete clarity of what is being backed up and how often.
  • File-level restores.
  • Deduplication of data to provide fair and effective usage of Druva's credit-based billing system.
  • Support. Once when I had an open case during set-up, I heard more from the support team than I did their salesmen which really shows their dedication to solving issues.
  • Their pricing and credit usage structure can use some refinement. We had a hard time knowing and learning how much space our data was going to take up which made billing/pricing a hard question.
  • More Hyper-V support, particularly with their Disaster Recovery options which is still currently VMWare only.
  • There error self-help page. Some times a back-up for a day will fail. Most of the time they will have an error attached explaining why. I have noticed sometimes not only will it not show an error at all, but not all of their errors are also documented.
Druva Phoenix is a well-suited cloud back-up application that provides a lot of mental security knowing that back-ups are not an issue. Their solution is easy to set-up and use. I would say they are a great solution for a medium-large company that needs a large scale back-up solution. Just make sure to check on your back-ups status every day.
We currently back everything up at both the host and VM level using Hyper-V. We have a NAS and SAN in our environment. They are just attached storage for virtualization so backing up at the VM level is enough for our needs.
It is easy to set-up and use for basic set-ups. However, some self-help and troubleshooting is not as easy and even some small issues can require contacting support. However, support is very easy to work with and helpful.
Druva has one of the best support teams I have worked with. Once you get in contact with someone and a ticket is open, they are very helpful and quick to solve any issues.
Read Willard Stark's full review
James Carberry | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 19, 2019

Migrate on-premise backup to the cloud with a click with Druva Phoenix

Druva Phoenix helped us phase out our on-premise backup infrastructure and facilitate a migration away from our legacy on-premise backup software.
  • Eliminates on-premise backup infrastructure
  • Increases restore resiliency
  • Incredibly easy to implement and use
  • Would be helpful if custom roles could be built with a least user privilege model (zero trust) and ability to granularly select every access permission, instead of based on an immutable template
  • Would be good if option to feed logs directly to our enterprise Splunk (or a Splunk app that we could load into our Splunk to fetch the data from Phoenix)
Optimal if your organization has significant internet bandwidth
File system for Windows and Linux, SQL Server
Up and running in minutes. Druva offers installation assistance, but is really so easy to implement, you can do it yourself.
Timely tier 1 support access and response.
Read James Carberry's full review
Naoto Asai | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 19, 2019

Let's use Druva Phoenix!!

We use Druva Phoenix across the whole organization. The scope of application is 3 of our file servers. It has been operating without any major problems so far, and backup and restore can be operated without any problems.

We operated many servers on-premises. The backup also used on-premises storage and backup tape. By changing to Druva Phoenix, our work cost for backup and restore can be reduced.
  • Everything is completed in the cloud. I can operate all the things from my desk, and I don't need to go to the server room anymore. I can do it even I go outside or at home if needed.
  • Operation is very simple, both the setup agent and backup schedule and restore.
  • Admin console is only in English, and I'd like to use my local language (Japanese).
  • We need to purchase backup storage in advance, but it is little complicated currently around how many volumes we used before and how many we can use in the future.
If cloud backup is acceptable per corporate IT policy, I think it is the best solution for backup and restore.
We are using cloud-to-cloud backup. Our file servers are in the AWS, and we set up all servers and back up to Druva Phoenix. We have never encountered any problems so far.
I am satisfied with Druva Phoenix solutions, but there are some improvements as I've mentioned.
In Japan, a support company is operating for solution support. I sometimes ask them and they always reply with an exact answer.
Read Naoto Asai's full review
Leon Cuevas | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 26, 2019

Druva Phoenix Rising

[It's being used for] backing up VMs and NetApp shares.
  • Easy to set up
  • Logs need to be more transparent
  • There should be an option to see ALL backup jobs
It's well suited for almost everything you want to backup. I wish it could do bare metal backups.
I just love it! I've used other backup software and nothing compares to Druva.
Support has been positive
Read Leon Cuevas's full review
Carlos Eduardo Barbosa | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 23, 2019

Druva is worth having

Druva is actually being used for key associates such as managers and directors.
  • Fast backup data.
  • Daily backup data.
  • Fast and easy restores based on domain user accounts.
  • None that I can think of.
Druva substantially improves end-user data backup and allows the IT team to be involved with other decisions and tasks. With Druva PC Backup, restoring and backing up data is made easy!
We only use end-user PC backup.
It is always available, and works great.
I have never had to use support!
Read Carlos Eduardo Barbosa's full review
Teik Leng Ang | TrustRadius Reviewer

My Druva Phoenix Review

Druva Phoenix DR is recommended by InfoFabrica, who we've had a very bad experience with on implementation. Due to their poor knowledge and skills, the project has been dragging for more than half a year due to errors and issues. We had a very bad experience, which was very painful, and we feel we want to drop the project. After we use and figure Druva Phoenix out, we'll have a solution for backups to cloud and do DR when needed.
  • Dedupe of data. Pending to double confirm.
  • Technical support is very poor, especially with a recent case we logged. No one seems able to check and they need us to troubleshoot and report back to them. Not very helpful.
On and off, we are facing some errors with backups to the cloud. Most of the time, we troubleshoot and get the thing done instead of logging a case with tech support since sometimes they have not been helpful at all.
We use VMware virtualized for backup VMs to cloud.
The usability is on and off. We are still facing some errors with VM backup.
The technical support team needs to be more knowledgeable to know what issues the customer is facing instead of asking the customer to troubleshoot. Time it takes to get back to the customer on a case needs to improve. It takes too long to rectify the issue and they don't solve the issue completely.
Read Teik Leng Ang's full review
Amin Ansari | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 18, 2019

Awesome

Phoenix agents are installed on servers, and backup server data according to the schedule defined in the backup policy. At the scheduled time, Phoenix Cloud initiates backups from servers on which Phoenix agents are installed.
  • If you or another administrator initiates the first backup, Phoenix performs a full backup. All subsequent backups triggered by administrators are incremental backups.
  • Druva Cloud Platform Console is the starting point from where you administer data backed up from the configured data sources. It is the first page you see when you log in.
The Druva Cloud Platform Console displays the services, summary, and utilization only applicable to the product which you selected at the time of login.
The storage consumed by file servers is equal to the total storage consumed by registered Windows servers, Linux servers, and NAS shares.
Read Amin Ansari's full review
Jagdish Joshi | TrustRadius Reviewer

How to keep the Data safe with DRUVA

It is used for senior management Data Security
  • Bachup of end user devices
  • Data security
  • Very easy to access
  • We have been using it for the last 7 years for senior management data backup
  • It is safe to use
  • Cost is high
  • Integration with more applications
When it comes to data safety it is very useful and go to software

cloud model is not suitable because of GDPR
We are using senior managements data backup
Because it is very effective
Because we have dedicated support
Read Jagdish Joshi's full review
TJ Hurt | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 17, 2019

The most comprehensive and easiest cloud backup soltuion

We are using it as our exclusive DR and cloud based recovery solution with AWS
  • Web Mangement
  • Faster Recovery Times
  • Security and Compliance
  • Firewall integration
If you are looking to sunset your off-site physical DR, this is the solution. Faster recovery time, less overall cost and upkeep
This is almost single click deployment to the virtual server environment. It just does not get much easier
There is not an easier solution for management and deployment. Also scalability all happens through one pane of glass.
They have been very helpful in responding to issues and optimizing our solution with Druva
Read TJ Hurt's full review
September 28, 2019

Druva Phoenix Review

Druva Phoenix is used across the whole organization. Currently, it addresses the business problems related to Backups across the following categories:

• VM Backups [VMWARE].
  • SQL Database Backups.
  • File Server Backups.
  • Cloud-based, easy to set up, configure backup policies, and administer.
  • Upgrade Backup Proxies on the fly from the Cloud as soon as a new agent version is available.
  • It's easy to scale by installing additional backup proxies when there is an increase in workloads.
  • Optimal use of Internet Bandwidth.
  • It needs functionality related to popular use case scenarios, such as application-aware backups related to SharePoint Backups and SAP HANA backups.
It's well suited for backups of VMs hosted on VMWARE and Hyper-V, SQL Database Backups, and File System Backups.

We use Druva Phoenix for backups of the following:

1. VM's hosted on the VMWARE Hypervisor.
  2. File Systems.
  3. SQL Databases.

Our experience has been good.

It's very easy to use with a web-based management interface. It does not require any skills associated with prior backup administration, and it supports single sign-on with Okta IDaaS.
We have always received great support with Druva's Technical support. The support team is dedicated and very committed to the customer.
September 28, 2019

Druva

We use it for backing up users' info, desktops, and documents for safekeeping. The issue that we have seen come up in a few instances is that some of the computers with a lot of information constantly freezes and causes the computer to not back up. This program fixes that issue for us, and it makes the customers happy.
  • Backups.
  • Restore.
  • Refresh.
  • They could make the program run a bit faster.
  • Make the program a bit easier for customers to use.
  • Work better with smartphones.
Druva works well when you are in a large company and have a fear of computers crashing. Using it has saved a lot of people at my place of employment whenever they run into a blue screen issue or something has been deleted. It has saved all of the work and documentation needed.
A lot of people who aren't tech-savvy love this product and love to use it, and it makes their workflow easier.
Support is easy to work with, and very helpful.
September 27, 2019

Druva Phoenix POC

During a proof of concept (POC) evaluation, we found Druva Phoenix to possibly be a usable candidate for backing up the guests in our VMware infrastructure that uses a stretched vSAN cluster as storage over 2+1 data centers and segregate multiple departments by VM folders (multi-tenancy with daily automatic detection of new guests).
  • Cloud-based solution for off-site storage with possible local (cloud) cache to increase performance.
  • Easy to use interface, Active Directory Single Sign-On (AD SSO) for authentication and relatively simple deployment of virtual proxy servers.
  • Good support structure. We had an issue where our third data center with just vSAN witness hosts that have no storage attached prevented automatic discovery. After increasing the logging level with support, engineering was quick to find the problem and provide a patch that could be installed on the proxy servers.
  • The reports and analytics are rather primitive and bare, and cannot sort columns. New data/duration (throughput) would be nice for instance. CSV exports combine date and time (harder to use in a spreadsheet).
  • Cannot create an API token within just the Druva Phoenix (as Phoenix Cloud Administrator, let alone multi-tenancy scope).
Possibly good for a relatively small environment with a large backup window. More is needed in a larger environment. Especially the reporting is very basic, and better insight is needed in performance metrics and potential bottlenecks. Multi-tenancy can probably be improved (though we did not explore this completely during the POC).
We only looked into Druva Phoenix for protecting VMware infrastructure.
Easy to use interface but the reporting and analytics have room for improvement.
The people assisting us with the Druva Phoenix PoC (pre-sales) and the issues we were having (support and engineering) were very professional, responsive, knowledgeable and pleasant to work with. After increasing the logging level, the cause of the issue was found and a patch was created and installed in a short amount of time.
September 20, 2019

Best product on the market.

We use Druva Phoenix to backup our entire VMWare environment, NAS, some physical servers and SQL DBs.
  • VMware backups - no client needed, just needs to be able to take a snapshot
  • NAS backups, ease of configuring files/folder to exclude.
  • Full system restores take just seconds to set up
  • Cloud cache is not the easiest to set up
  • Does not dedup SQL data very well
  • Random failures when Druva is doing maintenance
Any production environment where you want to trust your data is safe
VMWare, NAS, physical windows systems, SQL DBs
By far the best backup product I have used. Not having tapes etc., to rely on means we can restore what we want, anytime, and to any location.
Druva support is always fast to respond and 90% of the time can resolve the issue in one call.
September 19, 2019

Druva Phoenix your one place backup disaster recovery system. A basket you can trust to store your eggs in !!!

We currently have 13 servers backing up our servers as we add more servers we add more licenses. This is a great product that is easy to set up and use. And the reports work great giving me the details I need for our backups. The fast restore even on a single file is great when end-users accidentally delete files. This software is used as a backup and part of disaster recovery across our whole organization.
  • Easy to configure an update. As an network system Administrator the faster and easier it is on this the more time we have for taking care of other issues. Set it an forget it .... well besides the getting detailed notifications.
  • great simple email notifications about the backup jobs. Simple but if more details are needed they re there.
  • Updates to system client are a breeze!!! just select the servers that show they need update and BAM ITS DONE!!!!
  • No complaints so far
I just think it is great even for standard non tech end users. Even if you've never used the software before, I believe it is straightforward on the menu selections which makes it really easy to navigate through and get what you need backed up or restored. I just like that it's easy to use and I don't have to over train the end user.
We are currently using VM servers, file servers, and physical and database servers. The setup and configuration have all been a breeze. This helps me sleep better at night knowing we have a solid backup across all platforms. This just makes backups much easier being able to go to one central place to manage them all for all platforms.
I give Druva Phoenix this high rating because of its simplicity to use.
Whenever I had any issues with Druva Phoenix just a quick call to tech support fixed any issue. The quick responce and knowledge of the product helped us to fix the issue fast allowing me not to worry about our backups.
September 19, 2019

Get your data and VMs backed up into the cloud without much hassle.

We are using Phoenix across 20 different sites (remote offices with datacenters). The goal was to get rid of tape backups, leverage the cloud, and use global deduplication to control cost.
  • Deduplication.
  • Customer support.
  • Enterprise-scale management interface (no patch/update management, alerting is per site, no global control options).
  • Long term backup imports (what do we do with our 10 years of data we have on tape?).
  • Vcenter migrations.
Great tool if you're on standard virtualization technology (Vmware or HyperV) or use Bare Metal Intel servers. Good global dedupe and good management interface

If you are not in the Intel world (AIX / Iseries etc.), this is not going to work for you.

The biggest downside is that migrating to Druva Phoenix will not allow you to totally get rid of your tapes, tape drive, tape-library, offsite tape storage provider, backup software if you have long term retention requirements.
We are using Druva Phoenix on VMware and the windows agent on fileservers and SQL servers.
Druva Phoenix is a great tool, not missing too many features.
Very fast support and very open to feature requests.

Universal recovery (20)
Live recovery (21)
Recovery verification (19)
Business application protection (15)
Multiple backup destinations (20)
Incremental backup identification (31)
Backup to the cloud (33)
9.5
Deduplication and file compression (30)
Snapshots (22)
9.2
Flexible deployment (23)
Management dashboard (32)
Platform support (25)
Retention options (30)
Encryption (26)

About Druva Phoenix

As businesses are adopting a “cloud-first” strategy, data protection is one of the first IT functions to migrate to the cloud. However, it can lead to a number of challenges. With a thoughtful cloud strategy, businesses can achieve the best results.

According to the vendor, with Druva PhoenixTM, businesses can achieve data protection and management for their data center workloads with a unique cloud-native approach. Delivered as-a-service, Druva Phoenix combines scalable all-in-one backup, disaster recovery (DR), archival. and analytics to simplify data protection. Druva PhoenixTM is also designed to support keeping up with business continuity SLAs (RTO and RPO), and reducing TCO . The software requires no hardware and no additional software. The vendor's value proposition is that this helps to reduce costs associated with data protection, and improve data visibility for today’s complex information environments.

Druva Phoenix Features

Data Center Backup Features
Does not have featureUniversal recovery
Does not have featureLive recovery
Does not have featureRecovery verification
Does not have featureBusiness application protection
Does not have featureMultiple backup destinations
Has featureIncremental backup identification
Has featureBackup to the cloud
Has featureDeduplication and file compression
Does not have featureSnapshots
Does not have featureFlexible deployment
Has featureManagement dashboard
Does not have featurePlatform support
Has featureRetention options
Has featureEncryption

Druva Phoenix Screenshots

Druva Phoenix Videos (3)

Watch Learn more about Build Group's journey to the cloud.

Watch Meet Druva - Data Protection for the Cloud Era

Watch Moving to SaaS - Better Data Protection at 50% of the TCO

Druva Phoenix Downloadables

Druva Phoenix Integrations

Hyper-V, Microsoft Teams, Slack, AWS, VMware, NAS, Linux, MS-SQL, Oracle, Windows, Splunk, Okta, Service Now

Druva Phoenix Competitors