Reviews (1-7 of 7)
January 09, 2020
Score 8 out of 10
Colleague tracks students across departments around the university. My institution uses it as a comprehensive student tracking tool, monitoring everything from housing assignments, billing, class scheduling, student discipline, and chapel attendance. It keeps all relevant student data in a single, secure source, and it ensures that professionals across campus are aware of student needs and status. In Student Development I primarily use it for student housing. Once I make a housing assignment, accounting has instant access to it for student billing without my sending a roster to them.
- Colleague offers a single reference point for all student data, which creates consistency and unity across campus and ensures students hear the same information from every source.
- Colleague recently updated its interface to be more accessible to all people. Previously, it was not accessible through any browser aside from Internet Explorer.
- Colleague provide helpful user restrictions that prevent departments from altering or erasing data they do not typically use. For example, I cannot change student billing and accidentally wreak havoc for the cashier's office.
- Although user restrictions are helpful, they require intense forethought and preparation. Prior to use on campus, system administrators must carefully consider user permissions to decrease the likelihood of information sharing disasters.
- Accessibility also has some challenges. The new interface opens on all browsers, but the software does not contain all of the functions of the previous version. Users must choose accessibility or information; they cannot have both.
- Colleague's operating system does not mirror common systems, so learning it can be a long, slow process.
Read Alicia Meyer's full review
Colleague ensures all campus officials have access to the same information in a central location. It ensures students are scheduled for courses and automatically matches the registered courses with fees for student billing. Similarly, it automatically syncs housing assignments with the proper billing amount and updates as students pay tuition and fees. It is least helpful in student conduct, and my institution recently adopted a new, comprehensive software to fill the gap. Colleague tracks student data, not student interactions.
November 30, 2018
Colleague Student is used across the university to hold our students' academic records and to provide registration as well as other functions, like student accounts, financial aid, etc. This system was chosen to replace our legacy system because it was much more user friendly and allowed us to offer our students a seamless experience across the university with their information and records.
- Colleague Student allows us to integrate services across the university for students with staff in various departments able to see the information about a student that they need to serve the student well.
- Colleague Student makes it easy to see our students current academic record as well as transfer courses (and information) and their past records here at the university. Our old system required a lot of homegrown connection points to be able to see all of this information. It was neither quick nor easy.
- Colleague Student makes the registration process for our students much easier. Our old system was clunky and would often prevent students from registering for a class but not provide information for them about why. Colleague Student makes it easy for students to see if they are missing a pre-requisite, have a hold, etc., so they can know how to get their registration back on track.
- For our purposes, it would help us if Colleague Student was more flexible in crossing academic terms so students who are taking classes in various entities of our university could more easily register for those courses.
- Waitlisting is still difficult for students to understand, so easier functionality in this area would help our students tremendously.
- The process of building class sections would be easier if we could import information from a spreadsheet. Right now, all the information has to be keyed in manually.
Read Becky Lambert's full review
Colleague Student is a great solution for smaller schools. I'm not sure it would work well at a large university (10,000 plus students) -- I'm not sure it has capacity to handle that. It is also well suited for universities where departments communicate well with each other. There is so much cross functionality, that if departments don't communicate well, issues could arise if one department makes changes without notifying or talking with other departments about the change.
November 28, 2018
Score 4 out of 10
Ellucian Colleague is the main student system used by Elon University. The system is connected to a host of disparate systems across campus. The enterprise wide system is used to track the life-cycle of the student.
- The system retains comprehensive baseline modules covering majority of challenges an institution would face.
- Flexible enough to customize to meet the needs of the institution.
- System flexibility to connect to "other" systems preferred by the institution.
- Develop API's that are vendor agnostic rather than selecting specific vendors (Clearinghouse, ImageNow).
- Colleague tends to be to reactionary to the changing needs in higher education rather than developing the future.
- Hound clients to pay extra for consulting (consultants are usually bad), rather than helping institutions to use the product. Seems to be the first thing help line personnel jump to rather than working with clients to figure out creative solutions.
Read Rodney Parks's full review
Colleague works well for small schools with a VERY simple curriculum. It is not designed for bigger schools that need flexibility. For years the system has put Registrars in a bad place by saying "this can't be done in our current student system," giving Registrars the image of being barriers to progress.
November 21, 2018
We currently use Colleague Student to store and track all of the student's demographic information which includes current and former contact information as well as relatives and their current and former demographics. We also manage academic records from creating a course to when students register and enroll for courses. All of their transcript information is kept by Colleague, too. We receive payments on their student accounts and track their financial aid. We also store and track campus organizations with their membership as well.
- Colleague Student does a good job of creating a core of data that can be accessed across multiple Colleague applications from HR to managing alumni once the students graduate.
- We customize Colleague Student by creating computed fields that are accessible on screens as well as reports. We also customize delivered screens as well as create our own custom screens.
- We are able to easily give users permission to only what they need to see and keep them from accessing areas outside their purview.
- Ellucian had made good progress with its UI, but it still could be a much better experience.
- The programming language used to create screens and computed columns was created by the company, then Datatel, now Ellucian. It is a bit of a learning curve.
Read Jamie Scott's full review
Colleague can work very well straight out of the box with very little or no customization. There is some thoughtful setup required, though. Even though it works fine as a vanilla flavored application, it can be customized to accommodate most situations. We used it for two physically separated campuses and colleges as part of the same university out of the same database. We were able to use delivered functionality to keep the colleges separate when appropriate. When we needed to see the colleges as one university that was also delivered functionality.
January 30, 2019
Score 6 out of 10
Colleague is used as a resource/archive system information. Users of Colleague at my company are able to pull student records such as addresses, class schedule, phone numbers, and other pieces of vital information. Colleague addresses the problem of record keeping at my institution; being able to store information for a large population enables better utilization of space since paper records do not need to be kept.
- Colleague is able to provide a large database which can hold a large amount of information for companies who may need to store student, client and/or patient data.
- Utilization can be easy once trained on how to use it.
- The user interface is engaging and captivating especially since the update. It makes utilization easier.
- Colleague only seems to work when logged in on a specific browser.
- Using Colleague can be confusing to navigate unless trained on how to use it.
- The user interface can be intimidating and confusing to use.
Read MaryAnn Jackson, MA's full review
Colleague Student is a lifesaver in situations where I need to get in contact with students in situations of high importance. I can figure out when they will be in their class which makes it easier to have the professor connect with a student of concern or I can look up a phone number to give the student a call. Colleague also helps in the housing department to charge students for any damage fees resident may incur while staying in the residence halls.
November 18, 2018
Colleague Student is being used across the university as a whole by all students, traditional, adult and online. The software can do many different features including budget management, and keeping up with student data and course data. After you have mastered certain features, it is very easy to input data and have it available for everyone who needs it in the organization.
- User experience is common-sense.
- I can look up a student and their academics, level, degree, and current coursework.
- Students can access their financial aid information in a user friendly environment.
- Students have the ability to allow parents full or limited access to the student account.
- The lack of an easily accessible list of forms in the program
- Step by step tutorials would be great if available
- You have to hop between multiple screens sometimes to find the right information
Read this authenticated review
It has made tracking duplicate records a breeze. We're able to keep applicants assigned to one specific ID which we can then use to track them across other platforms that we've linked into Colleague.
Easy, multi-purpose system for student data and program tracking, and it can communicate with other software for connected solutions.
Colleague Student is being used across various departments (Enrollment Services, Admissions, International Student Office, etc). It helps provide an overall scope of student that includes his/her educational background, demographics, history, and so forth.
- Gives me overall academic history of a student.
- Has a note section that I often read regarding a particular student.
- Has the immediate contact of student when pulling information from the record.
- Sometimes it gets confusing on which buttons to click on to exit and go back to the previous page.
- Too many buttons to click on, sometimes it gets annoying.
- Doesn't always register certain data (aka nicknames of student).
- I prefer the old version of Colleague; seems more intuitive and user-friendly.
Read this authenticated review
Colleague Student helps to check on the academic history of students immediately and their hiatus which I find useful. I just get frustrated with the number of buttons and associated buttons that make it annoying to find which way to go back to a current page I am looking at.
Ellucian Colleague Scorecard Summary
About Ellucian Colleague
Ellucian offers Colleague educational ERP, including a student information system supporting higher education institutions with student admissions and registration, academics, curriculum management, and other aspects of student management.
Categories: Student Management
Ellucian Colleague Technical Details