The only firewalls you will need
February 04, 2020
The only firewalls you will need
Score 10 out of 10
Barracuda CloudGen Firewall F380
Overall Satisfaction with Barracuda CloudGen Firewall (formerly NG Firewalls)
We are a regional mental healthcare provider. As such, we have members of our staff that are mobile a good bit of their day. To that end, in addition to the standard firewall features that we utilize, this also serves as a VPN endpoint for our mobile staff. In addition to the C2S VPN, we also use the S2S VPN for smaller facilities that need access but we can't really justify anything more than an internet connection for. As an added bonus, we do utilize the advanced threat features to give us the first layer for virus/malware detection and prevention before the traffic ever gets to the AV software that is used on each workstation. Finally, we leverage the NGs IDS/IPS to make sure the only traffic that is on the network is what is supposed to be here.
- It is just a dang good firewall. It does things some of the more expensive firewalls (not going to call out ASA) cannot do at a fraction of the cost.
- Barracuda's support is second to none.
- I can't really think of any. I am sure there are some areas it could improve on, but right now I have 0 complaints about anything on them.
- Really neutral given we came from the x series. The move to the x series was a huge positive in terms of time spent managing and the ability to get what needed to be done, well done. The move to the NG was just the next step.
- I will say the one thing, in terms of value, that is given is the firewall admin application. This one program saves a ton of time in configuration versus using the web-based configuration. You can only pick one, and for me, it's a no brainer - turn the web-based config off and use the app.
There really is no comparison. Juniper and Sonicwall are the closest competitors, however, in terms of features versus price Barracuda wins every time. Cisco does not allow the ASA to do certain things it should be allowed to do, it is design flaws but they have no intention of changing it. Fortinet - I don't even know where to start - the hardware is slow and pretty much does what it wants too, and the support has to be about the worst I have had the misfortune to have to deal with. All of these items are just not issues with Barracuda. It does a good job of doing what it is supposed too and the support is awesome.
I could go on and on about how good Barracuda's support really is. I have yet to have a problem they didn't help me fix and I always learn something when talking with them. The story that best describes my overall experience with Barracuda's support is this: When I first put in the xSeries they had a problem with a policy route. There was a bug in the code and in the one situation I was it, it just would not work. I went up the levels of support and they couldn't fix it. Well, next thing I know I am on the phone with 2 of the guys that programmed the thing and they work out the solution in no time and get me going. That is support. That is what I have come to expect from Barracuda. If the tech on the phone doesn't know the answer, they do not stop until they find it. Grant it, I also have to admit I do not call support with every problem, I try to work it out on my own first as that is how I learn best, so when I do call support it is going to be complicated.
Do you think Barracuda CloudGen Firewall (formerly NG Firewalls) delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Barracuda CloudGen Firewall (formerly NG Firewalls)'s feature set?
Did Barracuda CloudGen Firewall (formerly NG Firewalls) live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Barracuda CloudGen Firewall (formerly NG Firewalls) go as expected?
Would you buy Barracuda CloudGen Firewall (formerly NG Firewalls) again?
It is a good general-purpose firewall. We use it as a firewall, a VPN concentrator, and for intrusion prevention. It does a wonderful job with each of these tasks. In terms of the F380 itself, I would not be well suited to a small office purely based on cost, but the F12 does a good job for those areas.