PRTG Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Dan Reynolds | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are a small, mid-sized firm and many of the network monitoring systems are just too big, too complicated and too expensive to meet our needs. I wouldn't say our needs are simple or simplistic but we don't have a large IT department (1-me) to handle that. I guess you could say we have enterprise needs on a shoestring size firm! We need to monitor servers, switches, storage, essential services almost 7x24. Most of the employees work at least part time remotely and our systems have to be up to support that. It has become part of the business model. PRTG effectively monitors and alerts when things are wrong. It has been a crucial part of our infrastructure.
  • Very, very configurable. You can create all kinds of monitors for all kinds of things. Plus it has loads of suggestions out of the box. It can get complicated but monitoring is complicated. Pretty decent interface and good support - active community.
  • I really liked how easy it was to add alerts by SMS. So easy to setup.
  • I like their sizing models (for purchase). We're actually small enough that we are free. But it's not free as in stripped down - it's free because we don't use many "sensors" and don't honestly have the need.
  • Although I like their sizing model for pricing they do need an intermediate level at the lower end. The first jump in the pricing model is too big.
  • Because of the complexity of setting up sensors I do have some difficulty understanding what exactly I'm monitoring or what I could monitor. I figure it's there but I just don't have the time or motivation to figure it out. Not entirely sure how to solve that other than educating me...
I guess I would have to say for small environments like ours it's perfect and you can't complain about the price - FREE. I have also heard of lots of enterprise situations where it has performed well. As I mentioned before I think one area they miss out on is have a few more intermediate levels on the lower end. For example I have thought that perhaps I could implement more VMware monitoring functions with PRTG but the price of entry point is just too high for us. If there was an intermediate level there maybe it would be more attractive.
But even with that said I LOVE PRTG. It gives me a level of confidence that things are being "watched" that I hadn't had before. In a small firm with very limited staff that is very important.
Read Dan Reynolds's full review
Eric Engardio | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use PRTG Network Monitor as a central monitoring platform for our 4 corporate sites (including Amazon AWS) as well as all of our customer locations (around 10 sites) that are spread across the USA. It's our primary monitoring tool for our entire organization. It does SNMP monitoring well and it makes remote support (an essential part of our business model) of all of our sites possible will alerts that get sent to whoever needs to be notified when something happens.
  • Consistent, real-time alerts.
  • A decent repository of MIB's and OID's for quick auto-discovery.
  • User-friendly interface.
  • Its MIB library could be expanded by quite a lot, I have to spend a lot of time with device manufacturer support when I need to monitor something specific (fan speed, firmware version, etc).
  • It's really not that scaleable beyond 10,000 sensors.
Our organization is quickly outgrowing PRTG as an SNMP network monitoring tool. We have around 20 total sites we monitor and we're pushing over 16,000 sensors. For a small organization, it's really great and affordable. Once you grow beyond the 10,000 sensor mark, however, it starts to get very pricey and not very efficient.
Read Eric Engardio's full review
Shawn Gifford | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use PRTG Network Monitor in the Infrastructure Department to monitor our network gear, as well as view Netflow information from switches. It also is used for out-of-band monitoring of externally-available applications and websites.
  • Great for inexpensive monitoring of devices
  • There is a lot of customization options available
  • Integrates with Netflow information for detailed views
  • Dashboards integrate with other APM's and NOC views as well
  • Could use abilities for synthetic transactions
  • GUI is simplistic
Great for an NPM software to supplement your existing APM solutions. It is very easy to implement and control. PRTG Network Monitor integrates well with ticketing and APM systems for detailed monitors. It also works very well as a pipe for your Netflow data from your switches for a comprehensive view of network flows.
Read Shawn Gifford's full review
Alessio Andriolo | TrustRadius Reviewer
PRTG is a very useful monitoring tool, special for windows systems that are used for our internal infrastructure (also Unix Systems). You can use easy pre configured sensors or create your own sensor. In the beginning the creation of own sensor is a little bit tricky. You have to understand it first completely before you can create one. But the standard sensor cover already a lot. You can find a lot of useful things in the kb from paessler.
  • Very powerful sensors
  • Create custom sensors (SQL, Powershell etc.)
  • Good support from paessler
  • A lot of KB articles
  • In some points limitated (You cannot change a sensor, you have to delete them)
  • Create a SQL sensor is not that easy
  • You have to search in your system language (Example. In German RAM is called "Arbeitsspeicher" so when you search for RAM he will not find the sensor)
First you have to create a tree with all the servers and services. Here i would recommend to create a plan before, else you do this step twice. The thing that you have to decide a few things when you create a sensor and after this is not changeable. When you want to change this, you have to delete the sensor and create a new one.
Read Alessio Andriolo's full review
We use PRTG to monitor a fairly large, complex and multi-site network. Monitoring in the region of 4000 sensors over a few hundred servers, network devices, printers, CCTV, Wi-Fi APs, web hosts, etc.
The biggest problem we used to have was that we had several monitoring systems managed by different departments around the business. With the introduction of PRTG, we have been able to consolidate these systems into PRTG and manage it centrally.
PRTG gives us a really good visual overview of all the relevant things we need to monitor to meet customer SLA's and we find that with the help of the email alerts and a visual map on a large screen in the office, we can keep on top of any issues.
  • Visual overview of the whole network making it easy to spot any issues straightaway.
  • Email alerting that is fully customizable.
  • Proactive monitoring using hundreds of different types of sensors giving the ability to actively troubleshoot issues before customers are affected.
  • The probe service can be quite resource-intensive. This can cause false-positive readings from some sensors sometimes.
  • The software gets updated very regularly. Whilst this is usually a good thing to fix bugs etc, it does meantime downtime of the monitoring quite often while they are installed.
  • The ability to create Maps from Libraries. Very specific issue but a lot of people have been asking for it for years and it is still not available.
PRTG is well suited to any organization that needs to monitor devices and systems on their network. Compared to other products on the market, it is is easy to set up, manage and use on a day-to-day basis.
The only place where it would be less appropriate would possibly be an environment where multiple probes were required for geographic purposes and a probe device (ie, a PC) isn't available in each location. This is fairly unlikely, however, but would depend on the network infrastructure.
We use PRTG Network Monitor across our IT infrastructure to monitor uptime, availability, Windows service status, and various other relevant items. PRTG Network Monitor gives us the ability to tailor monitoring to the individual system and offers a lot of flexibility in configuration. It has a Maps feature that enabled us to design a custom four-display NOC that IT technicians can use to monitor infrastructure health at a glance. One great use case is for player kiosks on the casino game floor. With PRTG Network Monitor, we can get down to the kiosk and have it running long before guests encounter it, report it to staff, and it makes its way to IT for resolution. The same applies to other task-based machines and endpoints that are customer-facing. With configurable email alerts and a heads-up display, IT staff can be far more proactive in our ability to provide a best in class guest experience. This is critical because you only get one chance to make an excellent first impression.
  • Huge array of sensors to allow detailed monitoring of varied systems.
  • Extremely configurable and tuneable to meet custom environmental needs.
  • Active Directory/LDAP integration is rudimentary and needs improvement.
  • Easy to introduce a lot of network noise and load with default sensor recommendations - care is required to avoid causing load problems on endpoints.
  • We've found that PRTG Network Monitor is excellent for monitoring critical endpoints, VMware health, Microsoft Exchange, and other essential items of infrastructure. PRTG Network Monitor licensing is based on the number of sensors deployed, so it's wise not to accept all of the default recommendations. Spend some time thinking about what matters. For example, there's no need for a Ping sensor on a system where you are also monitoring service states - if the service is up, pinging it is unnecessary, and if the service is down. Still, the system is up; the fact that it responds to pings is not very useful. We've found that a good approach is to let PRTG Network Monitor recommend sensors and then remove those that are not relevant to our monitoring needs.
  • Paessler support is also excellent. They've been very responsive and worked with us to enhance the value of the product.
January 23, 2020

Dive into the Traffic

Current use is within our infrastructure group. I am a networking engineer and am always looking for a better way to monitor net-flow, SLA and SNMP information. Current use has been net-flow traffic out of several of our locations where we have had bandwidth issues. We've been able to tell who the big users are, times, etc., basically what you get from net-flow. The benefit has been the graphical interface that PRTG presents the information.
  • The graphical interface has been excellent in determining bandwidth issues.
  • The ease of setup between Cisco equipment and the PRTG.
  • Setup itself was particularly easy, I believe I had everything up and running within 10 minutes.
  • Granular formatting would be nice. Though I can narrow down several layers, it doesn't allow me to get to the nitty-gritty.
  • Security accessing the interface needs to be better. Able to limit access via certain users.
  • Template changing.
Ease of implementation when you are needing a quick and dirty. I mentioned earlier I had it up and running within 10 minutes and was able to narrow down bandwidth usage at multiple locations. Though I could do this manually at each location, having a single window to view and compare the data made it easy to fix. Only con I really have is the lack of AD integration to create security roles in PRTG since we would like to leave this up as a first look window when issues occur.
PRTG Network Monitor is primarily being used by the IT department, however, the electrical department will also receive notifications for some device down notifications. We primarily use it for the notification functionality but also use the dashboard for some things. We work on a large construction site and have multiple locations - it's critical to respond to outages ASAP as they will have a negative effect on the business.
  • Prompt notifications when a device goes down.
  • Beautiful history graph showing you uptime/statuses
  • Interface is a little difficult to navigate if you aren't tech savvy.
  • Configuration of hierarchy can take a bit of time to set-up.
Particularly if you are a shop that has a lot of devices but not a ton of manpower to manage those devices, this software is a huge benefit. It's inexpensive compared to the big enterprise solutions and far easier to set-up than the open-source alternatives like Nagios. It's the right size for most groups. Node/monitor based licensing allows me to be flexible with what I need. Most devices are just up/down notifications, some have SNTP, etc. It's great!
PRTG is our primary monitoring application for our internal and external networks and servers. We use PTRG internally by our ITops and DevOps departments to improve reliability.
  • PTRG allows us the customization of alerts from very basic to very granular.
  • It's very simple to get PTRG up and running and you can use PTRG to monitor 100 endpoints free of charge.
  • PTRG is cheaper than most competitors.
  • The mobile app needs work. You're not able to add sensors from the mobile app.
  • I wish PTRG was cross-platform for those running Linux Servers.
  • Being able to geo-tag locations.
PTRG is great at monitoring your critical IT infrastructure. The alerts can go from basic to granular. The reporting is great during quarterly meetings with management. Being able to show management within 1-2 minutes how reliability has gone up with new equipment investment is a great selling point to PTRG and justifying your yearly IT budgeting to management.
I use PRTG to monitor all infrastructure equipment and servers in our environment. Previously I had multiple products to monitor specific types of systems. I was able to combine these systems into one by implementing PRTG. I have much more flexibility now by using the PRTG mobile app. I can acknowledge alerts when not in the office and check the performance of different sensors.
  • PRTG's mobile app is great for me. Previously I would need to be at my computer to acknowledge or pause an alert. I am not able to do that from anywhere.
  • I am able to very easily purchase new licenses or renew my licenses through PRTG's website without needing to get a sales pitch. The website also offers upfront pricing. You can see right away what licenses will cost you.
  • PRTG's user interface is very intuitive. I am able to even create dashboards to show non-technical admins the current health of our environment. Showing an administrator a red gauge easily gets the point across that something is wrong.
  • I moved to PRTG from SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor. I was able to save a great deal of money moving to PRTG while still gaining functionality and ease of use.
  • I wish the mobile app would allow me to add sensors and devices. I am only able to manage existing sensors.
  • Moving from Solarwinds I lost the ability to backup switch configurations. This is the only feature I miss and causes me to utilize other methods.
PRTG is very easy to get up and running. In less than an hour, I had a fully functioning monitor. PRTG is very scalable and works for small to very large environments through simple licensing and the availability of remote sensors. I am able to set up automatic discovery jobs which can scan networks and automatically add newly detected systems based on a template.
It is used mainly by the network team but is also known to be used by a certain server team, to monitor up/down status of various network devices as well as circuit utilization and other vital stats on the devices.
  • Monitor up/down status.
  • Provides historical and current data of utilization of circuits.
  • Has numerous sensors of different variables to monitor.
  • Would like to see a more intuitive user interface.
  • Provide backup configs where necessary.
  • Update MIBs for more compatibility.
If you are looking for a quick solution to deploy to pull vital stats via SNMP and monitor network and/or server devices, PRTG Network Monitor is very useful.
Robert Paul | TrustRadius Reviewer
PRTG Network Monitor is one of our primary monitoring applications for our network and servers. It is used internally by the IT department only since no one else needs to see the status of these systems. From a business standpoint, it allows us to monitor many systems all at once, with a quick overview, which saves us from having to receive alerts from multiple places or watch several different screens.
  • Monitoring: PRTG does more than just periodic pings to see if a system is up, it has all sorts of sensors to monitor CPU usage, memory, hard drive space, specific processes, &c. It's very granular and quite robust in its capabilities. But it isn't overwhelming, as you can set up which sensors you want or don't want.
  • Ease of Setup: PRTG can discover new systems, and automatically apply templates to their profile. This means, for example, a new server on the network will always get a CPU, RAM, Hard Disk, and Network sensor if you set it up that way. Even the default templates are pretty great, not a lot of extraneous sensors that clutter everything up.
  • Dashboard: One of the best things about PRTG is that all this information is in one place. The dashboard view shows everything in a color-coded way, so everything is green, no worries! Yellows and reds, they stand out. From there, you can drill down and find out which specific things are in alarm without necessarily having to log in to the system.
  • Alerts: PRTG also sends out e-mail alerts based on whatever parameters you configure. A hard drive is 90% full? Email the infrastructure team!
  • Historical Data: Because PRTG monitors all of these systems in real time, all the time, it maintains a database of historical performance data. You can check to see which servers need more resources, or even if it's just a specific time (e.g., development always runs a database query at 2:30 pm, and you can see what that does to the CPU). It's extremely helpful for analysis.
  • Horizontal Dashboard: The dashboard page is responsive, which is a good thing generally, but it works much better on a vertical monitor, especially if you have a lot of systems to monitor. If you have a horizontal layout, you have to scroll often to keep track of things (although the alerts do help). It would be nice to have an option to force a specific scale and layout.
  • Database: The database PRTG uses is an internal black box. It would be nice if it were something more standard, MySQL, Microsoft SQL, &c. That way it could be tied into other things more easily, or we could write our own SQL queries against it.
  • E-Mail: The internal SMTP server of the application is not always reliable. It took a lot of tweaking to get it to send alerts correctly.
PRTG is fantastic for a medium or large business with many servers, switches, firewalls, and other systems. Having all of these monitored in one space is a lifesaver, and it helps analyze where an outage might actually be ("13 servers are offline, and so is this switch right where those servers happen to be"). It can be pricey, depending on the model, but it's worth it for the efficiency and ease of use.

That said, a small business, especially one with one or two servers and a couple of switches, probably won't find it cost effective. There would be less value in that kind of small shop to monitor everything this way, and one of the free solutions out there would probably be fine.
Read Robert Paul's full review
Jeffrey Thoenen | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use PRTG Network Monitor for monitoring, alerting, and troubleshooting circuit utilization within our WAN and LAN environments.
  • Gives a graphical output of circuit utilization.
  • Gives a home screen that alerts to possible problem areas in our environment.
  • Gives a historical overview of utilization over various periods of time.
  • Allows the installation of applications to monitor the circuits.
  • Needs to have an easier way of adding devices to the application.
  • Have seen interface instance numbers change, which results in the renaming of the interface in the application.
PRTG helps to quickly identify circuit congestion proactively. It also helps to point you in the right direction after reports of internet slowness.
Read Jeffrey Thoenen's full review
August 14, 2019

PRTG Monitoring System

PRTG was used to monitor small to medium environments. It is being used by a department to monitor segregated instances which we do not monitor in our main monitoring tool. It enables us to quickly and easily add devices to monitoring and receive email alerts for availability and performance issue.
  • Simple and Intuitive: PRTG is very easy to use and get into. Its interface is highly intuitive and allows you to very quickly set up credentials and add devices to monitoring.
  • Low customization effort required: immediately out of the box, PRTG can provide very good detail monitoring without having to customize or add packages or plugins. It can automatically discover and model many types of device and monitor that device in great details without much tinkering.
  • The vendor provides 100 free sensors which make it very easy for you to start using the product without requiring a license and get a very good understanding of the tool before making a purchase decision. The tool allows you to continue to use it for free permanently for the first 100 sensors.
  • If you already have a bigger and more powerful tool, PRTG can be very good as a secondary monitoring tool which some times can help you troubleshoot, validate, and compare with your main tool.
  • Windows Only: PRTG does not support any other platform. Personally, I do not like tools that run on Windows because Windows requires a frequent update, which means downtime. You want your monitoring tool to be as highly available and low maintenance as possible. That and you also require a server license and Windows consume more hardware resource than other platforms. PRTG needs to add support for Linux.
  • Limited ability to do things in bulk. There is no way I know of to mass onboard devices or to mass edit devices. So you will by modifying 1 device at a time. For instance, it would be useful to modify the name or company of 200 devices in one shot.
  • Somewhat weak widgets and dashboard. If you put a lot of effort into it, you can probably come out with a very useful dashboard to keep an eye on key systems/devices. However, some widgets can look nice at first but they are not so useful or easy to understand. Again, it can be done, but a lot of effort is needed to get it right.
  • White interface only. This might not seem like a big deal, but if you have people who use the tool all the time to keep an eye on the system, it can strain your eyes. Need a dark theme.
If you want to setup a tool to quickly monitor a group of device or do troubleshoot/validate then PRTG is a very suitable tool as you can get setup and going very very quickly.

If you have a smaller environment, PRTG is a very suitable tool as it is easy to use and low cost.
We are a very small I.T. department so we're stretched thin on a good day. PRTG saves us significant time and trouble through its monitoring capabilities. We currently use PRTG to monitor all our I.T. systems, minus a couple SaaS applications. This allows us to generally stay one step ahead of our users, so when they come in to inform us of a paper jam we can inform them we are already working on it. It also gives us insights into how our systems are performing.
  • General monitoring.
  • Real-time operations map/dashboard.
  • Network traffic monitoring.
  • Weak with monitoring SaaS applications.
  • Print monitoring could be better.
  • Maps need an interface update.
PRTG is great for our small team, it provides the higher-level insights we need. We do not need much depth at this point, so we disable those sensors. Having a couple maps up on a screen in our office is also great eye-candy for our users when they walk in, it always impresses the head of our institution.

Getting more in-depth monitoring and general analytics will require significantly more work. Sensors will need to be adjusted and added, and there are no pre-built maps of any kind. It just seems to lack some serious built-in "power tools."
PRTG is an excellent tool for monitoring bandwidth utilization in our organization. It gives us complete real-time data on bandwidth utilization of all our external and internal connections.
  • Bandwidth utilization.
  • Historic data of circuit health.
  • Monitors device health.
  • Addition of new Sensors to accommodate new networking vendors.
  • Support of Google Maps for geographical mapping.
  • Support of new APIs on the PRTG.
PRTG is well suited for real-time bandwidth utilization. You can also view traffic based on specific segmentation and VLANs. PRTG, however, is less robust when it comes to SNMP monitoring of devices. Device hardware details and monitoring can be improved. It does provide sensors to monitor Virtual machines and their health. It is great if only bandwidth, CPU load, disk space, and memory need to be monitored.
We use PRTG for almost all of our systems monitoring, i.e., your normal expected web servers, file servers, etc. that we use for Linux and Windows.

We also use it to keep an eye on the random network devices - building automation systems, etc. Like any monitoring system, it's useful for keeping an eye on everything and providing some historical data.
  • Allows multiple sensors - we watch disk space, memory, and services on most servers.
  • Alerting works well. We are notified when security cameras and badging systems go offline just as quickly as when the file server is filling up.
  • Custom sensors are possible, such as monitoring inodes or web page loading time.
  • Like many products, PRTG seems to like Windows better than Linux. As a mostly Linux-based shop, this can be annoying.
  • I wish it could run on a Linux server.
  • The dashboard isn't as useful or customizable as some products.
For a small to medium shop with a variety of assets, PRTG is a great monitoring solution, especially if you run on mostly Windows servers.
Graham Murison | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Paessler's PRTG Network Monitor IT operation monitoring. This is used throughout the organization.

We needed a more robust monitoring tool that was capable of delivering more in-depth monitoring of our network devices and other end-user nodes as needed. We had previously set up SNMP on most devices, but the previous free tool had limited reporting.

I was also looking for per-interface traffic stats on my Cisco inventory.
  • Setup was easy.
  • Adding devices/sensor is so easy.
  • Support is great.
  • Cost is reasonable.
  • Updates are automatic.
  • A more built-in dashboard would be nice.
  • Licensing can be tricky since it is not device based. Currently, each sensor (IE interface) counts as a sensor license
We are using PRTG to monitor our NetApp storage device and Cisco switch network activity. It also has uptime and ping sensors to help notify us when network nodes are down or unavailable i.e. we are using it to monitor our information displays (tv's) to make sure we are notified when they go down. All monitoring is done using SNMP.
Read Graham Murison's full review
Ricardo Melo | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use PRTG to monitor the performance, availability, and latency of the links used by our customers. We generate reports that are used to be able to identify problems in these [links] and correct eventual declines in performance and availability.
  • Generate reports
  • Monitor network assets.
  • View real-time link performance
  • Improved web browser access performance
  • Generation of reports in pdf
  • More intuitive interface
PRTG is useful in a scenario where it is necessary to have data regarding network assets and data circuits (performance, processing, availability) in order to generate reports and be aware of any possible problems that are occurring.
Read Ricardo Melo's full review
Jason Shaw | TrustRadius Reviewer
We utilize PRTG for the internal monitoring of all network infrastructure including firewalls, switches, servers, and IP phones. PRTG is a one-stop shop for our monitoring and alerting needs as a small business with limited infrastructure.
  • PRTG is extremely useful in reporting the basics.
  • Simple interface.
  • A number of sensors available to monitor.
  • It can be overwhelming for the first-time user. I would like to see additional basic setup features.
PRTG works great for monitoring/alerting on events inside your corporate network. I find it limited when troubleshooting IP phone issues but that is not really our focus.
Read Jason Shaw's full review
Michael Metalios | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 24, 2018

PRTG Makes IT Easy

PRTG is used across the entire organization. We are a small IT department of 3 people, and have 16 remote sites. PRTG keeps tabs on those sites' connections and servers. We always have up to date information on uptime, status, bandwidth utilization, and protocol usage. PRTG makes it easy to have a one stop shop for site status.
  • PRTG performs an intial search of your network and automatically adds devices it finds, creating sensors on the fly. This is great for new users.
  • PRTG has a free version which offers 100 free sensors. I highly recommend this for anyone looking to use PRTG. It offers a free, non-limited trial of the software for an indefinite time. Giving people the chance to play, and tweak - really getting to know the ins and outs.
  • Email alerts are great for those of us on the road. We can get up to the minute notifications if a site is down or having potential issues.
  • The Android app works very well. Keeping me in the know while on the go.
  • PRTG updates a LOT. When the server updates, the client needs to update. It's not a huge inconvenience but certainly puts a quick stop to the day when the notification takes focus.
  • It's hard to gauge what resources PRTG needs sometimes. Looking at the system requirements and giving said requirements to the VM running PRTG doesn't always solve the problem. Many times, PRTG will report that the probe is using all resources allocated and having problems because there is nothing more to give. Adding more RAM or CPUs to the VM doesn't always fix the problem. It can be perplexing at times.
Small IT departments without a lot of money and resources can greatly benefit from PRTG. It's not just used for communication monitoring, but devices as well. We monitor server status with it. It pings each of our DCs every now and then, and reports if a unit doesn't reply. It helps us get a jump on impending issues.
Read Michael Metalios's full review
PRTG is used by the university IT staff to monitor the network equipment and server across the entire enterprise. We have multiple probes configured to monitor server health and network performance, as well as basic up/down status. This allows us to have insight into possible issues that might arise before they have a chance to be a real issue. PRTG also gives us the alerts we need when equipment does fail or go offline.
  • There are many preconfigured probes to use for all types of network equipment and servers
  • Alerts can be customized and configured to alert the right staff for the specific alert
  • Graphs make it easy to spot trends for all probes
  • Auto-discovery makes adding devices easy
  • The mobile app gives you access to the system from anywhere
  • Alerts configuration is a little tricky to fine tune and could be easier. It can be very granular(good), but that adds to the complexity.
  • Mobile app could be a little better laid out
PRTG makes it easy to monitor the health of your servers and the status of your network equipment both from your office and while away. It will alert the staff when issues arise so that repairs can be implemented quickly.
Carlos Daniel Casañas Bertolo ஃ | TrustRadius Reviewer
Monitoring multiple network devices and servers all over the country. Have used multiple monitoring tools in the past 15 years and this is the best.
  • Monitors huge range of systems
  • Hierarchical device view summarizes performance data and alerts at every level.
  • QR codes corresponding to a particular device or sensor can be printed out and attached to physical hardware for quick monitoring from a mobile app while in the data center.
  • Reporting capabilities are a highlight, both in terms of canned reports and the ability to customize to your individual needs
  • Some functionality in Enterprise Console redirects you to the web console.
PRTG can monitor anything from servers, switches, routers and NAS appliances to Hyper-V and VMware hosts plus a vast array of popular cloud services, apps and storage providers. Big or small enterprises can benefit from it. The PRTG web console keeps your systems neatly organized with hierarchical groupings.
Read Carlos Daniel Casañas Bertolo ஃ's full review
Jon Stephenson | TrustRadius Reviewer
PRTG was used for infrastructure monitoring, system availability, and proactive monitoring. We relied on PRTG for our out of hours alerting. It allowed us to easily deploy and use a powerful and simple, yet cost-effective monitoring tool that suited our business needs.

Pricing was important to us but more important was ease of use, and although perhaps not as powerful as some of its competitors, PRTG handles large infrastructures well, and is particularly quick and easy to deploy, without the need for complex client installations.
  • Rapid real time monitoring
  • Great price performance
  • Ease of implementation and deployment
  • Very easy to configure and add / amend / remove nodes and alerts.
  • Good level of support from the vendor.
  • Highly customisable.
  • Ease of deploy,ent to different skill sets - i.e. HD usage, etc.
  • More refined SNMP support - Little bit too technical and hands on to use as fully as you want to.
  • Built in native support of more manufacturers
  • Ability to run the console on a MAC, without using a browser.
  • Small and medium to medium large enterprises.
  • Organisations with highly mixed environments.
  • Those looking for great value.
Read Jon Stephenson's full review
Brian Munn | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our IT department has been using PRTG for the past two years. We use it as a way to be proactive to network communication and server issues. PRTG sends us notifications based on deployed sensors to infrastructure devices and server services. PRTG has helped us react quicker to resolve potential issues before being notified by users of the problem.
  • PRTG has many built in network sensors for most brands of infrastructure equipment and network servers. Very easy to setup a sensor for a device or service.
  • Customizing sensors for specific thresholds or items to monitor is easy and quick.
  • PRTG has very good network reports and maps built into the system to give you a dashboard like look for quick access.
  • I would like to see integration with existing ticketing systems. PRTG should be able to create trouble tickets in thrid party applications.
  • Device layout is not very friendly. Layout should be geared more toward sites and subnets
I think PRTG is well suited for any IT shop from large to small. PRTG has developed a licensing model that is very easy to understand, has great price points and is easy to upgrade as needed. PRTG is easy to setup and a system admin can get up and running in minutes not days.
Read Brian Munn's full review

Automated network device discovery (33)
Network monitoring (36)
9.2
Baseline threshold calculation (32)
Alerts (37)
Network capacity planning (24)
Packet capture analysis (17)
Network mapping (23)
Customizable reports (32)
Wireless infrastructure monitoring (24)
Hardware health monitoring (35)

About PRTG

PRTG Network Monitor is the flagship offering from German software company Paessler, for monitoring local and wide area networks (LANs & WANs), servers, websites, apps, and more. It also includes free VoIP monitoring software.

PRTG Technical Details