Bomgar in Higher Ed
Updated June 03, 2015
Bomgar in Higher Ed
Systems Integration and Support Specialist
University of Mary WashingtonHigher Education, 201-500 employees
Score 8 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Bomgar Remote Support Software
As a University, we support faculty, staff, and students with a variety of systems and devices. Our Bomgar appliance allows us to assist remotely with issues such as VPN connectivity, settings in software, and troubleshooting error messages without having to dispatch a desk side technician. While the primary use is at the Help Desk, other areas within IT occasionally employ their access to the utility. We have also had a couple of inquiries from functional trainers with interest in using the appliance for remote instruction.
- The streamlined user experience allows support personnel to quickly and easily assist our users remotely with whatever issues they may encounter.
- The granular permissions allow us to authorize technicians with various levels of access.
- The reporting and auditing allow for easy review and extraction of data for analysis with our ticketing system.
- Delivered examples of permission sets and how they could apply would be helpful with initial setup.
- We are resolving more issues at lower tiers of support, reducing escalations to desk side support.
- We are able to resolve issues remotely, such as an employee in another state requiring assistance with the VPN connection.
We like the ability to authenticate to the application with LDAP. We like the detailed logs available for auditing and reporting. We like the central management and remote accessibility of the application. We like the variety of platforms supported for both technicians and customers. We also like the concurrent licensing model, as we have many more named users with access to the tool than we have need for simultaneous use.
Key questions to ask are:
- How many named accounts are required? How many of those will be using the tool at any given time? As Bomgar uses a concurrent use license, this would help weigh the decision.
- Do you have the infrastructure/server space/virtual space for an appliance? While we have and like the physical appliance on premises, this may not be a viable option for others.
Using Bomgar Remote Support Software
25 - The named users are members of the IT Support Services group (Help Desk, Desktop Support, Classrooms and Labs support), the programming and database group, the network and infrastructure group. Other areas have access to the tool but have not yet had a need to use it. The heaviest usage is by the Help Desk staff.
1 - For the basic installation, just some understanding of SSL certificates and networking should get you started. Reviewing the documentation should explain the various features and options available. For specific options, such as authentication through LDAP, some knowledge on the those technologies would be helpful. Barring manual account management, support of the appliance is a bullet item in a list of duties and not a full time position.
- quickly resolve issues where seeing the screen clarifies possible miscommunication
- easily assist users in remote locations
- quickly install one-off software requiring administrative access
- We can provide support from tablets and smartphones, so we aren't tied to a specific computer or location.
- We have used the Rep Invite feature to allow short-term vendor access to selected systems.
- We have not yet used the presentation feature, but are looking forward to that opportunity.
- We would like to expand use to other service departments who assist with various processes, procedures, and programs.
We are extremely happy with our experiences, both with the application and the vendor support. The applications functionality and feature set are great. The vendor support has been excellent, far beyond many of the other vendors we engage. We also like the future flexibility by many of the features that we have not yet implemented.