Sturdy and Reliable
December 13, 2017
Sturdy and Reliable
Score 9 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with CodeIgniter
We have used CodeIgniter as the mainstay in company intranets for multiple clients. This has allowed us to quickly create and deploy customized intranet/portals for companies to use and manage. CodeIgniter allows us to make specific changes to meet a client's needs and allows us to use the built in features and framework to not have to recreate things for each client.
- Great for quick deployment of structured web applilcations.
- Easy to maintain and make changes on existing web applications.
- Great knowledge base and community to allow quick and accurate answers when having trouble.
- Could be easier to create applications from scratch.
- PHP framework isn't for everyone.
- Because of quick turnaround on portals/intranets, it was easy to offer this as an option to clients.
- As there is no cost associated with this framework, it was great not having to worry about purchasing or licensing. (MIT License).
- Community support helps in that there are no ongoing support contracts or costs.
- No direct representative for one-on-one support, if needed. This can cut into time used on projects.
Similar to the other frameworks, CodeIgniter was chosen due to its community and popularity. It has much of the same aspects of the other frameworks we evaluated, except .Net which obviously doesn't use PHP. CakePHP has a CakeBake function that we wish we had with CodeIgniter, but it was a small price to pay for the amount of help we received in the CodeIgniter community and by searching online for help.
This is a great framework for people with knowledge of MVC frameworks and PHP experience. We have used it for maintaining web portals/intranets for clients, and it has exceeded our expectations. This might not be the right tool for people looking for a CMS or more complicated applications. But, because of its open platform and resources, I am sure it could work for many more applications.