Smartsheet Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Jesse Bickel profile photo
Currently, Smartsheet is being as an alternative to Microsoft Project. We use this as a simple tool to create workflows and timelines. We often find that this product is easier to teach and share across the organization then MS Project. We use this across the whole organization but its deployment is limited to those who are task managers. This fills the gap between Excel spreadsheets and MS Project.
  • Smartsheet is simple to use! The learning curve is small.
  • Smartsheet is cloud-based so the flexibility is very suitable for mobile management.
  • Add to its toolset and take a few more features from MS Project to help with making dependencies more formula driven.
  • Smoother import and export to and from MS Excel.
If you live in project management every day I still believe MS Project is the proper tool that gives you the most options. However, if you are team lead and lead smaller projects and project management is just one of many functions of your job, this tool is for you. It far and away surpasses MS Planner but is not as complex as MS Project.
Read Jesse Bickel's full review
Parker O'Very profile photo
We currently use Smartsheet in most departments. We use it for project management, scheduling, list management, and for some minor spreadsheet work. Sometimes we use it as a replacement for tools like Google Sheets, though it is not meant to be just a spreadsheet tool and does not work perfectly that way. It is much better described as a spreadsheet or data table version of Trello, JIRA, Asana, monday.com, etc.It is one of the most versatile and useful tools we have.
  • Formulas. While not as robust as Excel, the formulas offered in Smartsheet are quite good.
  • Team collaboration. Multiple teammates can access and work on the same sheet at once.
  • Templates. The standard templates meet all my needs, and are a great guide for what Smartsheet is intended for and the problems it is best suited for solving.
  • Project management. It is great for creating, assigning, monitoring, and tracking tasks and projects.
  • Project management. I wish you could assign multiple teammates to the same task/row.
  • It is much like a database. Columns are fields, rows are records. This is why formula capabilities are lacking.
The best uses I have found for Smartsheet have involved project management and content indexing. If you are looking to replace Google Sheets or Excel, this is not the right tool.
Read Parker O'Very's full review
Ann M. Frank profile photo
We use Smartsheet for project management, but also for tracking various processes internally, like equipment rental and use. It is used departmentally but any time we introduce it to another employee or team they end up adopting it for their own use. It allows us to stay organized and communicate effectively. We especially like the ability to set updates for changes as needed. It then eliminates the need for futher emails and other communication - it's all done via Smartsheet.
  • Project management
  • Process management
  • Communication right from within the product
  • It can take a bit of time to set it up
  • It can take a bit of time to learn
  • Would be great if it had a user guide of some sort for training additional staff

Great for project management. Love it for process management and internal tracking. Easy to communicate with teammates

Less appropriate when you need a more visual/graphics based approach

Read Ann M. Frank's full review
Garry Adams profile photo
SmartSheet is used in several different aspects of project management. We track financial status as well as operational status in separate sheets, and use reports and dashboards to mash-up and report on the data in a consolidated view. It is used in a variety of departments, but not across the entire organization. Use is mostly centralized within project managers, account managers, and service directors. It primarily solves client-facing collaboration issues in project management. We have internal tools for tracking our projects, but SmartSheet gives us a simple, concise way to share and collaborate with our clients using data from our other internal systems.
  • Cross-team collaboration - Sharing with internal resources and external contacts is easy and permissions are clear.
  • Live on-demand reporting - If your data lives in SmartSheet, or in a location that is accessible from SmartSheet, your dashboards are always available.
  • Dashboard widgets are somewhat limited. There are enough options to be functional, but it is not an exhaustive list of widgets available for use.
  • Workspaces and individual files can't be used in tandem. You must choose one or the other for the storage of your sheet.
I often recommend SmartSheet to other colleagues. Its dynamic nature makes it very easy to adapt to your particular needs and style. Because it supports formulas, you can adapt many types of Excel sheets to use in SmartSheet, but it is capable of so much more than that. The collaborative sharing functions work great and the cloud-hosted platform is reliable and provides a consistent experience.
Read Garry Adams's full review
Stephanie MacMillan profile photo
January 02, 2020

Smart to pick Smartsheet

We use Smartsheet company-wide to manage a variety of topics including project timelines, accounting, and documents. In our specific department I utilize it to track our annual goals, project documents, brokerage invoices and projects. I use the relationship with Salesforce to make sure deals keep moving and information is correct across platforms.
  • Organize data
  • Track responses
  • Data sorting
  • Filters
I prefer Smartsheet over Excel and it's hard for me to say when using it is less appropriate because it is really that great. I love that I can share in real time with other users and it is extraordinarily helpful. I feel like the templates are better too. They have something for just about every need and if it's not exact, it's easy to manipulate.
Read Stephanie MacMillan's full review
Chris Metropulos profile photo
Smartsheet is being used as a tracking mechanism for strategic initiatives, unique projects, and a personal task list tracker. Specifically, Smartsheet tracks KPIs, roadmaps, and project action plans.
Smartsheet is a tool that offers both performance and collaboration. Users can add attachments per line, assign users to cells, apply a Gantt chart view, and smart collapse items to manage the complexity of the document, and keep the team informed on changes. This solves several problems against incumbents such as Excel and other Project Management tools, including version control, document speed, easy notifications without the need to check files in and out.
  • Gantt Chart View.
  • Attachment optimization.
  • Exporting Sheets.
  • Exporting to Excel.
Smartsheet is well suited for any project-driven scenarios or process documentation. It is suitable for small or large teams, but it is more valuable if all team members have licenses (at least view only). The tool is flexible for any user, but content production, product, and marketing teams seem to be the most natural fits.
Read Chris Metropulos's full review
Katya Hill profile photo
I have used Smartsheet at my last 2 jobs. It was used across a few different departments - marketing, product and sales. It was great to have everyone be able to collaborate and work together and track the projects that we were working on. Knowing the deadlines and being able to assign parts of projects was instrumental.
  • Assigning parts of projects and tracking their accomplishments.
  • Being able to view in Gantt chart to view the progress.
  • Integration with other software that could be used around the company.
  • More training.
I had a great experience with Smartsheet and would definitely recommend it for anyone that runs project management and needs a plan to assign work, track it and view overall progress. I would link PRDs into specific jobs and also comment on them. It was a great experience and we went beyond trial.
Read Katya Hill's full review
Shannon Allen profile photo
December 20, 2019

Smartsheet at its best!

We use Smartsheet to collaborate between different departments, such as our recruiting, operations, and hr departments. It is cloud-based and updates its self in real-time. It allows you to set filters such as editors and or viewers. I like being able to look at it anywhere. Instead, it is from the office or off sight.
  • It keeps everyone in the office up to date on certain changes that have been made in real-time.
  • It works similar to excel spreadsheet but is more cloud based.
  • Applying better navigation thru Smartsheet.
  • Formatting the cells.
Smartsheet would be well suited for an office/corporate environment. With its cloud-based technology, it allows the users to make changes and or edits in real-time so the rest of the office can see the updates. The customization is well maintained, allowing users to color-code certain areas within the worksheet. It also allows you to create filters to search for essential data quicker.
Read Shannon Allen's full review
Tim Grant profile photo
Smartsheet is currently used in our company for managing projects. We are able to track tasks, send out reminder progress request emails, and monitor progress from our clients.
  • Reminders.
  • Gantt charting.
  • There's a feature gap between the Team & Business levels.
  • They send out 'info emails' frequently that actually refer to advanced functionality, and doesn't apply to our level.
Smartsheet is great for task lists and project management. It is useful when you have a project with many participants, and you need to track where everyone is on their part. I would not recommend it for a Customer Relationship Manager, or an Enterprise Resource Planning program (think inventory), as it would not be complex enough.
Read Tim Grant's full review
Blake Baron profile photo
My team uses Smartsheet as a Project Management tool. It's an excellent and lightweight alternative to manage semi-complex projects. In our case, we use it to coordinate launching new products i.e. coordinating photography, content creation, pricing, etc. It is a centralized spot where my team can see the status of any new product to be launched.
  • It's lightweight and accessible from anywhere
  • Intuitive to anybody who has used Microsoft Excel before. It's sort of like Excel attached to a mail server, a database, and with more project management capabilities
  • Uploading files to the database associated with your Smartsheet is a breeze. You can associate certain attachments with certain line items
  • The lightweight nature of the program is also a downside. Microsoft Project is bulkier, but integrates more smoothly with the Office suite.
I'd recommend it strongly. While I use it within an organization, I'd immediately sign up for the basic version if I started my own startup tomorrow. If you're onboarding clients, you can give them visibility into the project so they know where they stand. The notification and project update functionality is invaluable.
Read Blake Baron's full review
William Cameron profile photo
September 25, 2019

Smartsheet for Construction

We use it in the engineering department as a Piping Pre-Fab tracking log. We track piping from design and coordination thru spool drawing reviews to Fab Shop issues and ultimately final delivery to the site. Any member from our team knows exactly where each and every segment of the project is in its life cycle.
  • Multiple views available for each sheet like Gant Chart, Calendar, Grid and Card Views
  • Automation is the key, notifications to team members
  • The sheets can be viewed on PC's, tablets and phones
  • Ease of use
  • The interface changes frequently enough to keep you on your toes
  • Getting your automation set can be tedious
Smartsheet is perfect for live document and tracking purposes with multiple people involved at various levels within the project. When you are tracking multiple issues and/or tasks it is very powerful. If you are not collaborating with many people, it might be overkill however I think I would still use it.
Read William Cameron's full review
Vlad Kalika profile photo
We use Smartsheet across Project Management, Engineering, and Prototyping teams. We use it to track development projects, resource planning, and to manage projects. It is a unique PM software because it allows simultaneous access of files between multiple people. PM assigns tasks and can request updates through Smartsheet. Task owners provide status updates on their own, creating more efficient communication.
  • Collaboration
  • Project management
  • Notifications and updates
  • Critical path
  • Resource planning is a rudimentary, mostly manual operation.
  • Cannot create a list of the pre-defined user team.
  • Would be good to have visual customization of each project worksheet (such as customer logo).
Smartsheet is a great alternative to MS Project. It is lower cost and has better collaboration features. Good tool if the project management team has multiple projects on the go.
Read Vlad Kalika's full review
Madison Nelson profile photo
Several departments in the company utilize Smartsheet to track production and distribution of everything that we work with. It makes sure everyone is held accountable and everyone is up to date on information for every project that month. We also track assets that we bring in to work on these projects and share these sheets with other teams to make sure THEY are aware of what is in house, what is not and what to expect/when to expect it.
  • Being able to utilize and connect several people and teams to efficiently have a project flow
  • Organized and easy to use
  • Fast-working and adaptable when updated
  • I sometimes have a problem linking sheets. This comes and goes, but is a hassle
  • I'd love to see a easy to use calender sheet that could be shared
I track 100s of projects every month. I also track the production of assets as far into the future as 2021. Smartsheet helps me do that efficiently and without confusion. It also gives me the option of coordinating these projects with others so that they are informed; but I can give them certain rights to my sheets so they can't edit or upset the project by mistake. For project management, Smartsheet is my go-to. However, to create a slate or a way to brainstorm I would potentially use something else.
Read Madison Nelson's full review
Mandy Ferguson profile photo
Our entire product management team is using Smartsheet as way to quickly update other teams on our current projects. It addresses the inconsistency we have had in tracking and reporting on our projects to leadership.
  • Real time updates are great
  • The dashboard view is fantastic for leadership
  • Sharing is easy
  • More space for notes
  • Historical snapshots
  • More control without being an admin
I think Smartsheet is a great thing for providing high-level quick real-time updates. I do think it is less appropriate for detailed project information.
Read Mandy Ferguson's full review
Marcus Torres profile photo
We currently use SmartSheet with our implementation team, which is apart of our Client Success Department. It specifically used with new clients as a project plan sheet during the onboarding process. It allows our implementation team and project team to work together in real-time within the confines of a single space.
  • Customization - The ability to use templates from other successful projects helps with scalability.
  • The ability to upload files and collaborate.
  • Permissioning - Being able to restrict access and given certain access really helps with the overall project planning.
  • UX could use some love. It looks out-dated compared to other platforms.
  • The training documentation for first-time users could be better.
Smartsheet is well suited for basic project planning that allows for cloud-based co-collaboration. Specifically with on-boarding teams, being able to utilize the same tool for multiple clients with various differentiating needs and use cases all within one space can make a project managers life way less complicated.
Read Marcus Torres's full review
Alyssa Kapinus profile photo
It is being used company-wide for various problems. For my team, it helps us to keep everything organized in one centralized place and eliminates security risk by emailing spreadsheets.
  • Real time updates.
  • Reduces security risk.
  • Allow better import of Excel sheets.
  • More dynamic forms.
Where different teams need access to same information that is constantly updating. Less suited for individual data calculation.
Read Alyssa Kapinus's full review
Andrew Brodsky profile photo
My department used Smartsheet to create tables and Gantt charts that could be shared externally and internally. Multiple users could view or update the Smartsheet in real-time. It was useful for having a live dashboard status. Different levels of access could be assigned so only the necessary editors could make changes.
  • Smartsheet does not require any special software to be able to access or contribute to the sheet.
  • It is very easy to manage users.
  • Creating the sheet or workbook is extremely easy and the tool will guide you through the setup.
  • Works on any operating system.
  • Features found in MS Project are not all available within Smartsheet.
  • Advanced features are sometimes difficult to understand how to use.
  • Not as much printing options as project.
Smartsheet is fabulous for anyone that wants to be able to provide real-time project status on a hosted site. It is also great for users that need to collaborate within a document without sending out a single document or spreadsheet and having the users update that and another person collates the responses.
Read Andrew Brodsky's full review
Alfred Vickman profile photo
Smartsheet is often used when handling cross-departmental projects. For instance, when managing the company's annual activities and billing. The software allows us to interact with similar task checklists in real-time when under conference calls. Above all, it offers the best security compared to Google Sheets.
  • The software allows us to attach files on cells within the sheet. Other softwares don’t have this feature.
  • Smartsheet has a feature called “Email Shared Users” which improves its reliability to notify users on the current updates.
  • Smartsheet has been designed in a way that it integrates comfortably with most management systems of different organizations.
  • This software has an outdated appearance when compared to its competitors, Google Sheets. The interface should be re-designed.
  • Smartsheet does not support the use of equations/functions within the sheet, as it is done on Google Sheets.
  • It sometimes takes too long to figure out how to log in using the company credentials depending on how the link to the sheet is set.
In my experience, Smartsheet has proven to be a great project
management tool, especially when a project is coordinated by a team. When storing a checklist of tasks to be completed, it is the best. Also, when users want
to give evidence after completing a task, the software has allowed them to attach files on the cell. I, however, consider it less effective when complex equations and functions are required.
Read Alfred Vickman's full review
Evans Kyalo profile photo
August 01, 2019

Simply the Best

Due to the decentralization of my organization and having different branches, collaboration was a nightmare. However, with Smartsheet, project coordination is much easier. Smartsheet is used primarily used in different activities. For instance, tracking and sharing time off and out of the office information, tracking and sharing information on projects as well as tracking all team members tasks. Also, this software has been used to organize and share documents, displaying notices and coordination among the HR groups
  • With Smartsheet, sharing information across the whole organization with due diligence has been realized. Departments
  • The software has all the required functionalities as opposed to the previous software which was used in the organization. It allows us to import and export excel, projects and other document formats.
  • When reporting from this software it's much easier. Data can be taken from multiple sheets and combined into a single report.
  • Gantt charts which are drawn using this software are poor in quality. This is in comparison to other software such as Microsoft Project.
  • It does not have all the basic formulas required in engineering calculations. This becomes a limitation when working on engineering projects.
  • Exporting of information from other sources such as Excel, Microsoft Word and PDFs is limited.
With Smartsheet, project coordination is much easier. Smartsheet is used primarily used in different activities. For instance, tracking and sharing time off and out of the office information, tracking and sharing information on projects as well as tracking all team members tasks. Also, this software has been used to organize and share documents, displaying notices and coordination among the HR groups
Read Evans Kyalo's full review
Rhena Reynolds profile photo
September 25, 2019

Smartsheet Review

This program is a great tool for project tracking, I use it everyday in my business.
  • Track progress
  • Helps with due dates
  • Setup is easy
  • Calculations are a bit complicated - to total a row it isn't simple if you do not know how
  • The help isn't the greatest
  • Adding graphs are a bit complicated
I have used this for tracking purchases, projects (software implementations), etc. and I find it best suited for project tracking. I am sure the template you choose is really what it's all about, but my choice is project tracking.
Read Rhena Reynolds's full review
Xenia Le Dinh, PMP profile photo
Smartsheet is being used by the Technical Project Managers to manage both small and complex hardware (NPI) projects with multiple supplier dependencies. Due to its ease of reporting and sharing information across departments it became an important tool when it comes to creating transparency and giving visibility to other departments on upcoming milestones and deliverables.
  • Using excel formulas can be helpful when it comes to customizing the sheet
  • Start and due date based on dependencies, aka changing one date will waterfall into changing all dependent tasks
  • Strong reporting functions
  • Customizable dashboard
  • Kanban view and usability can use some improvement
  • Changes are not seen by other collaborators in real time, ie one needs to save the changes in order for them to be viewed by others
Any large projects with many dependencies and programs with cross project dependencies. It's less appropriate for geographically dispersed teams that collaborate real time.
Read Xenia Le Dinh, PMP's full review
EDUARDO SANDOVAL profile photo
Our company is one of the largest in the telecommunications sector. We have more than 20 million users at the country level, we have a history of more than 19 years in the market, and we handle a large amount of information and a fairly large workforce. We use Smartsheet in all the departments that we have, and all of these must interact with each other, sharing the information to improve internal communication and productivity. In order to improve these processes, we use Smarsheet. It has been quite useful because it has allowed us to save time on money in the execution and monitoring of processes, to improve communication, and to increase productivity.
  • It has a solid user interface
  • You have the possibility to visualize the data in an easy way and manipulate the information
  • It has great generated reports
  • Customizable notifications
  • Technical support is slow
  • The license is expensive
  • They do not have live chat or telephone support
Smartsheet is a powerful project flow tool. I personally recommend it because, in the more than two years that I have used it, it has helped me to have more control over my processes and personnel, thus saving me a lot of time and money in travel. The software also allows me to automate processes, thus improving communication and reducing execution time. In the long run, this is reflected in an increase in production, sales, and long-term profitability of the company.
Read EDUARDO SANDOVAL's full review
Ravi Ansal profile photo
We were looking for a simple online project management tool that was simple to use and easy to learn, and Smartsheet had everything. It is kind of an online version of Excel with more features like Kanban cards and Gantt Charts.
  • Not much training required
  • Works like Excel
  • UX is perfect
  • Custom notifications are easy to maintain, not like Asana
  • Not like JIRA
  • Custom development is difficult
  • Licencing model can be better
It depends on the work. I would recommend Smartsheet for small and easy task management but not for IT or resource management. They are a very cheap alternative to any other similar option.
If they better configured resource management and capacity management, then Smartsheet might have more function.
Read Ravi Ansal's full review
We use it within our Marketing and Events operations to manage nationwide events that we put on. It allows us to coordinate resource management across several teams to make sure our assets are not double booked and are being fully utilizes. It also gives teams outside of our visibility into what events are happening when and where as well as whom they can reach out to for various integrations.
  • Visibility across many working groups.
  • Control access rights to different documents and create basic approval processes.
  • It lacks full spreadsheet capabilities for advanced formulas and conditional formatting, etc.
  • It does not have a ton of integration into other programs like Outlook/MS products.
There are few other products that can compete with Smartsheet under certain use-cases. It does a great job visualizing project management and time-based projects through Gantt charts etc. It's all cloud-based so your users can access it anywhere even from their phones, albeit a bit clunky if you have a massive Smartsheet. It's really a hybrid product of other products your users will be familiar with (project management, spreadsheets, CRM). It doesn't do any one of these areas exceptionally but it does an excellent job bringing features together.
Smartsheet is used by our Project Management team to manage our project plans for our many clients. Smartsheet's easy-to-use UI will instantly feel familiar to anyone who has used MS Excel or any similar database tools. This interface allows new users to easily dive right in, without relying on tutorials like some of the other leading PM tools in the marketplace that are less intuitive and perhaps even overly-complex. I track project plans down to the task level in Smartsheet, and all of our project budgets are managed within the tool itself, as well.
  • Easy to use and intuitive
  • Sleek, clean user interface
  • Manages user groups, security, and permissions with ease
  • Parent / Child relationships at the 'sub-task' level could be easier to use. Sometimes i have issues 'rolling-up' data / numbers when I get below one level or two of sub-tasks. However it may just be user-error, as I have not had the time to investigate further or reference user manuals or tutorials.
  • Nothing else. Smartsheet works quite well and does not leave much to be desired.
Smartsheets is very well suited for building and managing project plans, no matter how simple or complex they are. Budgets are easily managed and maintained, as are scheduling dates and assigning users 'action items' and permissions, with cell-level security features available out of the box.

Smartsheets is well suited for collaboration. Multiple users, if given admin or editor privileges have the ability to make changes at once, avoiding issues that often can materialize regarding versioning errors typical, as a result of multiple authors or editors.

For project managers, smartsheets has multiple 'views' available, which can come in handy depending on your specific purpose. For those interested in seeing all of the details, the standard view is a table/spreadsheet type of view. For a more agile approach, or a simplified user view, their 'task-list' type view can help to easily view in a card-type of format and classify those tasks that have been 'completed' versus 'in-progress' , 'in qa' or other relevant category / classification. Other views include the Gannt chart view, which is helpful for seeing things in a calendar-like view, helpful in showcasing things like dependencies.

Task Management (90)
Resource Management (80)
Gantt Charts (76)
Scheduling (79)
Workflow Automation (68)
Team Collaboration (87)
Support for Agile Methodology (53)
Support for Waterfall Methodology (51)
Document Management (72)
Email integration (67)
Mobile Access (66)
Timesheet Tracking (41)
Change request and Case Management (45)
Budget and Expense Management (50)
Quotes/estimates (21)
Invoicing (19)
Project & financial reporting (36)
Integration with accounting software (16)

About Smartsheet

Smartsheet is an online project management and collaboration tool from Smartsheet.inc in Bellevue, Washington. The software has a characteristic spreadsheet like interface but contains the full panoply of features expected of project management and collaboration software, such as automated alerts, instantaneous updating and sharing across team members, resource management facilitating budgeting and task allocation, nested tasks organized in a hierarchy, a Gantt chart view, the ready production of exportable reports (e.g. Excel), and integration with email. Across spreadsheets cells can be linked allowing the creation of master spreadsheets that provide ready summaries or automated reports. Smartsheet's capabilities can be expanded with a multitude of apps (e.g. Dropbox, Google Apps) or integrated into combinatory solutions (e.g. with Salesforce) to tailor fit business needs. It supports full mobile access.

Three tiers cover Smartsheet's pricing options. The Basic level provides core features for small groups of individuals, while the Team level is recommended for groups of up to 50 people and supports more user features, allows multiple sheet creators, and has reporting functions. The Enterprise level is a custom fit tier for groups of greater than 50 individuals or companies, and may include dedicated support personnel if desired.