Overall Satisfaction with Laserfiche
Laserfiche is being used by the City of Roanoke, Virginia as a technology solution in many departments. Some departments use it solely as a document management storage solution and other departments use it with workflow routing, forms, and approvals that allow the department(s) to go paperless and improve business processes. The biggest business problem we found was the acceptance of using Laserfiche workflow routing as a new business process over paper pushing documents.
- Laserfiche does document imaging, storage, and image compression extremely well.
- Laserfiche user administration is very easy, ties in with back-end systems using LDAP, SSO, and network security.
- Laserfiche forms are easy to design, use, and configure quickly on the web.
- Laserfiche workflow is extremely powerful, but is not easy to configure, set-up, and maintain especially if the workflow steps change. Transferring knowledge to another workflow developer was challenging, and once a workflow was configured it was not changed unless the person who wrote the workflow was available.
- Laserfiche workflow has a Windows Explorer look and feel which is intimidating to everyday users who were not computer savvy. The process needed to be explained several times to users before it was understood how the workflow moved items from one folder to another. I have seen other workflow packages that were easier to use and grouped documents/approvals in a dashboard which would be a nice feature for Laserfiche to add.
- Laserfiche Rio licenses are expensive and it is difficult to bring up an entire department and have them use Laserfiche correctly without having a full license. A read only license didn’t always give the access needed for users who only wanted to approve workflow documents and view activity.
- Laserfiche has had a positive ROI impact on all departments that use the software. By improving work processes and inefficiencies many departs saved hours a day once Laserfiche was implemented.
- The Commissioner of Revenue's Office had the largest ROI of any departments that I bought up on Laserfiche as well as having the lowest cost to bring up users and scanners.
- The Sheriff's office was the most difficult to bring up because of the back-log and historical documents that needed to be scanned and tagged with meta data. I would recommend using a third party to scan back documents if it is more than 3 months internal scanning.
I did not compare Laserfiche against other products because the City of Roanoke, Virginia had already purchased Laserfiche 6 years prior. Once I learned how to use Laserfiche and the benefits, I decided that we needed to upgrade to Laserfiche RIO to be able to use some of the new functionality and improve business processes and expand the capabilities to more departments.