Mention: the best tool you didn't know you needed!
January 16, 2019

Mention: the best tool you didn't know you needed!

Aaron Treguboff | TrustRadius Reviewer
Score 9 out of 10
Vetted Review
Verified User

Overall Satisfaction with Mention

Currently, Mention is being used only by the Marketing department and honestly, only by myself! I manage all the SEO and social media projects in the department and find that I'm generally the only person that uses Mention daily. I use Mention for two specific tasks. First, I use it all the time to monitor social mentions that do not explicitly tag our company. This helps me keep track of potential issues, sale leads, and more in one easy to monitor software. The second major task I use the software for is SEO link building. In particular, I use Mention to find unlinked brand mentions. Using Mention I have been able to find and obtain many backlinks for the company and occasionally, ask for our company name to be removed from a site we do not wish to be associated with. With my busy schedule, I honestly couldn't succeed in these tasks if I didn't have Mention!
  • Alerts!!! Mention allows total customization of what they call Alerts. You are able to set up monitored pages, sources, and locations, keywords, set color of alert for quick reference and more.
  • Negative keywords! It is super easy to add in keywords and phrases that you do not want pulled into an alert. Making it super easy to set up an alert to monitor your brand, but excluded any mentions of job postings!
  • The UI of the software is clean and easy to read! Makes it easy to scan quickly and see all the most current mentions you have set up to track
  • It integrates with Slack. If you are addicted to Slack, you will rejoice. If you don't understand why this matters, then I recommend downloading Slack today!
  • Yes, I just said it is clean and easy to use, but there is always room for improvement in even the most perfect software. I would personally love to see the ability to custom message options a bit more or just customize the look and feel of your dashboard.
  • Bugs. Mention works great 95% of the time. The other 5%, you may run into major crashes or see mentions that you cleared coming back, etc., but nothing that is a deal breaker or unexpected with a tool like this. Worth noting nonetheless!
  • Better plans. This is a small issue, but I wish the lower plans has some basic reporting.
  • Mention helped to jumpstart and increase our link building strategy 100%. (AKA--we had none and then had something after getting Mention started.)
  • Helps to monitor potential risks to the company and has helped us stay on top of any negative feedback that we would have missed otherwise.
  • Mention helped us discover new influencers that we now work with and have had a positive impact on traffic, leads, and demos on our website.
Honestly, I did a little research on different competitors, but my budget was very tight. Mention was the best reviewed and had the best reputation based on the price point. It was really an easy decision as all the other software solutions were charging $100s of dollars a month to accomplish something that paper Mention can do for $29-$99 a month. No contest for a marketer on a tight budget!
Mention is perfect if you are looking for a fairly inexpensive software that will help you monitor your brand reputation, help you discover SEO opportunities, and potentially help you generate sales revenue. While I know Mention can work with bigger companies, I personally feel this fits the SMB market the best. On the other hand, Mention may not be for you if you have a mega brand and need to see sentiment analysis.

Using Mention

1 - I'm the only one currently using Mention! I personally work on all the digital analytics for the organization, I post and manage the social media for the company and I'm the sole person working on SEO. Mention provides a great way to connect these three different work areas together and allow me to track all three in a matter of minutes. It's literally a lifesaver!

Mention Reliability

Mention works great! As mentioned previously--there are some issues with bugs and crashes, but they appear to be updating and fixing the backend of the software frequently. I haven't experienced a major issue in a few months now. I have noticed that it loads slowly and runs slowly when there are a ton of mentions that come in (think 1000s at once). Other than that, I don't really have any complaints!

Integrating Mention

The only integration that I've done is the Slack integration. This took seconds to set up and works perfectly! Other than that, the initial set up can take a few minutes, but their guides are helpful and generally speaking, the support team is available to provide guidance on anything that isn't super clear. Overall, I found the initial setup to be super easy!