Using MindManager in academic research
November 27, 2018

Using MindManager in academic research

Overall Satisfaction with MindManager

I run an academic research lab. I use it to plan my days, weeks and quarters e.g. I have a map called "Today" that keeps me on track along with a new map for each week that tracks more goals. I also have maps for the overall lab goals. I often use maps to help brainstorm and outline new grants and papers that I'm writing.
  • Brainstorming
  • Process Mapping
  • Task and Project Management
  • Project Planning
  • I use it often to brainstorm and then arrange the topics into an outline.
  • It's a very easy, graphical and flexible way to setup a to do list for both short and long term projects.
  • I have also started using the flowchart capabilities to details experimental plans.
  • I would like to be able to select several topics and group them, then color them as a group.
  • Right when I select a set of topics and select Boundary, each topic gets its own boundary.
  • I would like an easier process to customize my maps e.g. with specific fonts, colors, etc. I know that this can be done, but I would like it to be easier.
  • In the latest version I'm having trouble linking to Outlook emails. This may be due to a change in outlook, but it is a capability that I really miss.
  • It definitely helps me efficiently manage and track my projects and tasks.
  • During meetings, I often generate maps rather than to do lists which adds some valuable structure. These maps then help my students and post-docs design and execute new experiments.
  • Mindmaps have been an invaluable way to keep track of notes and ideas - much better than documents or pieces of paper that get lost in a pile. I have very little need for post-it notes to stick around my office when I can add brief notes & ideas to my dashboard map.
When I am writing a grant or paper, I often start by brainstorming ideas onto a map. This eventually turns into an outline which lets me then open up a Word document with a clear direction. The ability to move things around is very important and a clear advantage over generating an outline within a word processing program.
I have evaluated some freeware programs but they are much more limited and not as easy to use. I like the user interface and the ability to attach documents and link maps to one another.
I think it is clearly the best way to make a to-do list. My weekly list is essentially my dashboard for the week. Every Monday morning I spend a few minutes updating the previous map and it gets me on track for the coming week.

I've not found the Gantt chart functions very user-friendly. It would be great to improve this.

MindManager Feature Ratings