True real-time collaboration
October 29, 2021

True real-time collaboration

Miro is used by a client of mine. As far as I know, it's only used by the specific department we're working with and might be a personal account rather than one purchased through/by the company. The company has strict policies around which software it can use and decisions are made based on the needs of the full organization and existing tools. While they have other existing digital white boarding solutions through Microsoft Teams they are not as user-friendly or adequate for large and very collaborative sessions as Miro is.
  • Collaborative sessions where people are working together in real time.
  • Research sessions where participants need to easily join a secure space for collaborating in real-time.
  • I like the clean visual design of Miro.
  • Miro is more user friendly and robust than Microsoft's digital whiteboard solutions.
  • I've used Mural a lot and the little animal avatars users are assigned with their name and that everyone sees is a fun ice breaker that's built right into the software.
  • Anything that Miro could do to help onboard first-time users into very basic functionality would be appreciated. When we have research participants use Miro for the first time we have to spend time getting them oriented and I'm sure you could do it quicker than us – saving us time, confusion, and effort. And I really mean basic things like how to click and type, move things around, and how to move around the board (including hardware people might be using like a trackpad or mouse or people who like to use their keyboard).
  • Honestly considering changing the name, it's unfortunate that the two leaders in digital whiteboards have the same sounding name – Miro and Mural. It causes confusion and misunderstandings.
  • Productivity.
  • Collaboration.
  • Data-driven.
  • Team bonding.
  • Creativity.
  • Engagement.
I'm not the purchaser so I don't know what it was like to implement. Sorry. From a user standpoint getting set up as a visitor was easy, I don't believe I needed to log in or create an account.
I can't think of any features of Miro that integrate with other softwares.
Without a digital whiteboard solution that works as well as Miro our business wouldn't have survived the shift to at-home work during the pandemic and I would have lost my job and been forced to work in less creative and productive ways. I use it almost all day and every day to do my work with others. It's the first document I think to create when I start a task. I can only imagine it will become more essential once more companies experience the benefits of more collaboration but many will need to really shift their cultures to create safe spaces and bonds of trust to truly let their guard down and create in real-time together.

Not sure

• MURAL (formerly Mural.ly)
I use both Miro and Mural. A client that I work with uses Miro so I use it with them. Our company purchased Mural so we use that more often ourselves and with other clients that don't have a digital whiteboard solution and are open to using an online application that may or may not be formally approved by their organization. Miro and Mural from a user point of view seem very similar, but I'm not sure about the implementation or pricing.
Google Workspace (formerly G Suite), Slack, MURAL (formerly Mural.ly)
Miro is great for collaborative real-time sessions with small and large groups. It's the best way to get ideas out of your head and start organizing them on the page for everyone to see and react to and improve. You can scale up the complexity or keep it really simple for first-time users. You can use it for really collaborative sessions or you can screenshot a PowerPoint into it for a little more interactive presentations. It's less appropriate if you don't need any form of feedback from people or need more structure in inputting or analyzing feedback. It's less appropriate for those who have very low organograms ability, they can struggle to get into the Miro, get overwhelmed, and shut down participation.