Interactive visual brainstorming tool
November 12, 2021

Interactive visual brainstorming tool

Used Miro for establishing an organizational structure within the department. Using Miro allowed us to 'play' with the organizational structure, size of the team, and where to place staff; interactive and online interactive visual nature helped us figure out to determine the best configuration. Also used Miro in a project management fashion in breaking down tasks and highlighting the critical path.
  • Visual interactive online
  • Easy to work with
  • Multitude of graphic displays
  • Easy to make changes
  • Easy to share with others
  • Intuitive to use
  • Marketing - until I heard from a colleague, I had never heard of Miro.
  • Great potential as project management software but is missing some features to be fully usable.
  • Output should be possible in different format, i.e., pdf or PPT for example.
  • Improved understanding by other departments.
  • Bringing ideas to light through visual interactive nature (a picture is worth a thousand words).
  • Faster concurrence on project ideas or organizational restructuring.
Really easy to implement the software. I think the largest key to implementation is that it's not a commonly known software yet and the need to create an account may an obstacle. I recommend creating some online test cases/pilot projects/examples that show how Miro can be used, its functionalities, and its benefits.
Giving a somewhat lower rating on integration because I haven't found it easy to integrate output from Miro into some of the standard software applications, like pdf or PPT, or even Microsoft Word. The result isn't as polished as I would have liked to see. Generally also takes too long, when compared to using flowcharts or other features in PPT for example.
The online whiteboard has been great and probably the function I've used the most. Definitely a great way to share ideas, get buy-in and communicate visually what frequently can't easily be explained in words. A picture is worth a thousand words! It greatly enhances communication and collaboration on projects, ideas, designs, etc.

MURAL (formerly Mural.ly)
I think it is well suited for an interactive visual display - easy to share the online file or show the graphic but I am not sure how easy to import the output into a PowerPoint presentation or pdf document for example. I have to admit that I haven't explored all of Miro's potential - my thought is that it could function as a great project management tool but may need additional features to be fully useful.