Collaboration toolkit essential for the virtual team
November 09, 2022

Collaboration toolkit essential for the virtual team

We currently use Miro from everything from documenting and collaborating through a brainstorming session to using Miro in presentations to get low to mid fidelity deign concepts across.

Pros

• Asynchronous team collaboration.
  • Allowing team members to provide feedback within a board.
  • Enough flexibility for us to create everything from low to mid fidelity concepts.

Cons

• Allow me to share out just a portion of my board for others to see.
  • Need for more presenter features like hiding/showing items in real time that only the admin can control.
  • Improved productivity and collaboration across remote teammates.
  • Validation of ideas timing reduced because we can get ideas in front of people faster.
There has been basically zero friction every time I have suggested using Miro on a new team or at a new company. The benefits speak for themselves pretty quickly. Not to mention, there is a very low learning curve, making it easy for many skill levels to apply it to their daily habits.
Miro has an easy share button. Getting people to review files without having to have them make a Miro account is essential.
Not only being able to present complex ideas in one place, but also being able to invite others to share their thoughts and ideas in a tangible way through adding their notes on virtual stickies, adding comments, or drawing in their own ideas has been essential.

Figma has a white boarding concept that was recently added but I feel like it is easier to share concepts in Miro to people who do not have Miro accounts as opposed to trying to get people into Figma. I have run into a lot of problems trying to share Figma links where the end user is asked to create an account. Many times that is just unreasonable.
I started using Miro on a product team. As a designer, it worked really well to collaborate in an online environment in real time with my project manager to figure out high level project ideas. I quickly learned that it has been helpful brining in our engineering team into the platform as well to go over concepts. Now, the engineering team uses it independently.

Comments