The Best Equivalent of a Whiteboard for Remote Teams.
November 22, 2022

The Best Equivalent of a Whiteboard for Remote Teams.

We use Miro as visualization tool to facilitate communication. Especially while planning out new features and their development, Miro makes it incredibly easy to spontaneously create a meaningful ground to discuss complex topics more efficiently. What sets Miro apart as our tool of choice is simply its ease of use. Pretty much everything works like you would expect it to. So even if we do not need it for a few days, everyone can jump right back in when they need to.

Pros

• User experience.
  • Sharing boards.
  • Real-time-collaboration.

Cons

• Searching for/finding boards.
  • I find the dashboard/folder/team hierarchy kind of confusing
  • Not being able to change passwords on mobile is kind of a hassle
  • Add a custom grid and a dicing tool to become a virtual tabletop (vtt) platform for games.
  • Improved shared understanding in a dev team.
  • More clearly understood requirements.
  • Fun retros even during covid.
Our team is completely distributed, so I use Miro as the replacement of quickly drawing something on a whiteboard or a piece of paper. One could say that in a way, Miro enables a more "real" way of collaboration, independently of physical location. That being said, I would like to try using Miro as a planning tool myself in the future, as I dislike Jira with a passion.

Not sure

Especially at times when I get the impression that no one has a precise idea of a process or flow, I secretly open a Miro board and share it. Boards that are created on-the-fly, spontaneous, and not made to last are where Miro really shines from my point of view. I've seen attempts to use Miro as a project planning software, replacing or extending e.g., Jira. While that was a welcome change from the de-facto default, I found that Miro Boards do not convey the same robustness and - for the lack of a better word - the professionality of more "boring" tools.

Comments