Toggl

per month

Premium

per month

What is Toggl?

Toggl is a time tracking tool from the Estonian company of the same name.

Toggl Technical Details

Alternatives

What is Toggl?

Toggl is a time tracking tool from the Estonian company of the same name.

What is Toggl's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 8.6.

Who uses Toggl?

The most common users of Toggl are from Small Businesses and the Marketing & Advertising industry.

Alexey Grinko | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use [Toggl] individually to track my own time spent on different activities within the company, and also to calculate the overall working time per week. This helps me understand when I overtime or "undertime", which is especially actual with remote work and flexible schedule. I do it simply for myself, to improve my productivity and work/life balance. I don't report the results to anybody - that would be a different story, with less motivation to track all activities honestly. I found it to be the simplest app for this purpose.
  • Very easy to use
  • Automatically notices inactivity when I forget to stop the tracker
  • Allows to flexibly label different activities with tags, projects, customers
  • Properly categorizes all activities in weekly reports
  • Activity detection based on active window could work better
[Toggl] is best suited for tracking working time based on trust. It doesn't enforce anything, doesn't track keystrokes, active windows etc. - only what you log to it. It shouldn't be used as enforcement for employees to work 8 hours every day - it's rather an analytics tool that can help understand how the time is distributed across the activities to get some insights and improve productivity.
Dustin W. Stout | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Toggl at our company to track working hours on specific tasks and projects. It integrates with our project management app, Todoist, so we're able to understand how much time we're spending on tasks/projects/clients. We also use the tracked hours for payroll calculation since some of the staff is paid on an hourly basis.

It is being used by 50% of our staff. The other 50% don't work hourly, so there's no need for time tracking. The staff members that track their time get their hours report at the end of the week, and we pay them accordingly.

The business problems it solves for me are (1) productivity and (2) payroll. We need to see if we're spending the right amount of time on tasks, and/or which ones are taking us more than they should. And it goes without saying we definitely need a way to calculate hourly payroll.
  • Tracks time easily (simple start/stop) within Google Chrome
  • Integrates with our project management app, Todoist
  • Has a great UI for gathering reports
  • The Mac App is great, but sometimes I miss the notification when the Pomodoro timer goes off... I wish it were more intrusive, so to speak, so that it would be impossible to miss the end of the pomodoro session.
  • I wish there was a way to automatically send reports via slack at the end of the week.
  • I would love to have some different visual themes. I don't particularly like the color choices they've made after the rebrand.
[Toggl is] really a no-brainer. I haven't found a simpler and more effective way of tracking time for my team. There are more comprehensive tools out there, and some that even have their own task/project management or payroll integrations. But I find the more comprehensive tools to be overpriced, overcomplicated, and add too much mental overhead to what should be a simple thing.
Jamie Caroland | TrustRadius Reviewer
As an independent contractor, I am the sole Toggl user. It's a great timekeeping tool for the work performed for my clients, since I don't use timesheets.
  • Can be categorized by description
  • Can be categorized by tags
  • Can be categorized by projects
  • I appreciate being reminded when I haven't been active on my laptop, but sometimes that gets annoying.
  • When reviewing an entry with multiple sub-segments, the main segment with the totals for all its sub-segments appears like its parts, except it has a total time and how many sub-segments there are. When it clicks open, it operates a dropdown list of each time segment, but can be confusing since they all appear similar. I have the free version, so maybe in a paid plan there are appearance enhancements.
  • Great little timekeeper when a timesheet isn't necessary.
  • I wouldn't use it in place of a designated or contract-required timesheet needing assorted accumulated data (maybe that's available in paid plans, but since I don't need to do, I haven't looked into that.).
  • If working past midnight, the time will aggregate as a single entry rather than intuitively divide into two separate entries.
Dave Lievense | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used Toggl to track the time working on client projects for the Professional Services team. The ease of use for the tool was the top consideration. Toggl was super quick to deploy and users actually logged their time unlike when we used painful Jira time tracking. The ability to have quick reporting by project, client, user was essential to ensuring that we stayed within our project budgets.
  • Ease of use
  • Integration with Asana
  • Quick to deploy
  • Inuitive reporting
  • Data integrations could be better
  • Better hierarchy within projects
This is the perfect tool for smaller organizations that want something people will actually use to track their time instead of trying to collate time via spreadsheets, or more painful manual entry tools like Jira.
I use [Toggl] to manage my freelance business. I can track projects by client or project, which I sometimes use directly for billing, and other times to estimate how much time non-billable tasks take me, so I can factor that into my pricing. It helps me with billing, but it also helps me manage my own time and personal staffing. I can see what my capacity is and how long things take me, and I get better and better at estimating how to maximize my time.
  • Excellent reporting capabilities (lots of filters)
  • Friendly, pleasant UI
  • Great ability to sync if working offline
  • Lots of labels to apply to tracking to organize work/time
  • I am genuinely trying to come up with room for improvement, but I am struggling
  • Toggl is seriously my favorite tool I use as a freelancer, and they offer so much functionality for free - that's why I always write reviews
  • Maybe they could make it a little easier to adjust time tracking mistakes (leaving the timer running too long) -- I have to do several clicks to fix it and I make this error frequently
If you work for yourself and want to know where your time goes (for yourself, and to tell your clients), there is nothing better. [Toggl] also helps keep me on track to know there is a timer running in the background.

I would recommend it for a person who wants to use it LIVE. People who retroactively time-track probably would not like Toggl as much as I do.
Customer Support uses it to track how much time they spend with each customer. When I used it in support, I would import our customers and their projects each season to make it easier to log time. Several department heads now use Toggl to report on how we spend our day.
  • One of my favorite tools is the Chrome extension. I can easily start the timer with a right-click as I switch projects on new tabs.
  • I need to send a weekly report to my CEO of how I spent my time. I just export the CSV for the week and send it. Otherwise, it takes me an hour to put the report together.
  • Importing a CSV of my customers and their expected projects each season made it very simple to log time. If it had been up to me, I would have integrated Toggl into our app for time tracking. I still might do it now that it is up to me.
  • I really like being able to edit times, but sometimes I end up with a timer for an overnight. This happens when I add an entry I missed. If I enter an 11 AM entry in the afternoon, it will add it as PM, and then move the ending time to the next day.
I recommend Toggl all the time. It's great for customer support and tracking project management. The fact that you can import existing customers and projects from your own database is very helpful, but it is also very easy to add customers and/or projects one at a time.
Alex Pegg | TrustRadius Reviewer
Toggl has been essential for time management as a freelance photo editor. I use it weekly if not daily to keep up with which tasks I have dedicated hours to, which in turn makes invoicing a breeze. It is so intuitive and the user interface is seamless. It is so much better than trying to keep up with spreadsheets or handwritten timesheets when juggling multiple freelance projects
  • User interface - Intuitive, simple, and easy to switch between tasks and edit time if necessary.
  • Desktop app - Stays on top so no switching between screens to toggle time on and off.
  • Aggregated reports - Generates easy to read, comprehensive reports for clients.
Toggl is perfect for the freelancer, who has to juggle multiple projects and account for time spent on each one. This software is easy to use, with a perfect user interface and desktop app. Makes time management a breeze and actually saves time from switching between screens and organizing spreadsheets. It allows you to edit/revise time and projects and generates professional, sleek reports when you're all finished. Also easy to share among other users.
I haven't had to use support really, but anytime there's a bug or a problem they are lightning-fast with software updates. Always improving and enhancing the software such as desktop app and report features. A truly innovative company.
Genie Forkner | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Toggl to track time per customer for ongoing projects. We track actual hours spent on a project compared to the estimated hours for many reasons. This allows us to make intelligent decisions on future bids and allows us to demonstrate to clients how their hours are being spent and the value in those hours.
  • Timer is easy to use.
  • Ability to organize work by client and/or project.
  • Reporting tools allow us to show our work/hours to our clients in real time.
  • I'd love to see this tool as an Adobe plugin to be used within the Adobe Creative Suite as a project timer for graphic design work.
It's a perfect solution for freelancers or teams. An all in one timekeeping app with a very short learning curve. Easy to implement and provides incredible insights on productivity. Scalable to fit your needs, from freelance to larger teams.
Their online chat feature allows you to ask a question anytime and they have an extensive support forum and knowledge base. Their blog is full of great ideas as well!
Marc Duke | TrustRadius Reviewer
Toggl deals with the most critical issue my business faces - where is time actually being spent? On which projects and which clients. As a sole trader I use it for everything I do and it is brilliant. Due to the fact that it is so simple to use and very, very easy to get the data that I need the most - what I have spent my time on.
  • Chrome integration.
  • Recording time on the app.
  • Quick and easy reporting of time.
  • Linking time to cost/billing.
  • Linking time to invoicing e.g. connecting to something like Xero.
  • Adding new clients/projects is a little cumbersome.
Toggl is brilliant if you have a number of clients or different projects that you want to keep track of time spent.
Not sure how well suited it is to a team environment when people have a limited amount of time on a given client/project, also not sure how well it deals with linking expenses generated on a client and to the process of invoicing for time done. If there was some way to integrate outputs versus time spent that would be even more amazing. But if you are looking for a simple, easy to use solution that enables you to track time spent both on desktop and on mobile/smartphone then there is no better place to start than with Toggl.
I have not had much need to use it, the newsletters offer some advice but have not seen much. Have not seen a huge amount in the way of videos either but I have not had any huge issues where the configuration has been a problem and where I have then need to contact someone. From memory, I think there is a chatbox/online chat support on the web site.
It is being used by only a few people as a time tracking system, so right now, only me, my supervisor, and another employee. It's not being used beyond that at this time. It allows us to track every task that we've done so everyone can see it and so that the time for each task is clear.
  • Tracking time.
  • Integration with Asana.
  • Wider scope.
  • Integration with more apps and programs.
I think Toggl is well suited in scenarios where there are only a few employees, or potentially more, and there's a need for tracking time. In organizations where employees are paid by the hour in particular, I think it's very well suited. I think it's less appropriate for bigger companies or bigger projects where there's less concern about how much time is spent on a project.
I haven't needed much support from Toggl, as it's mostly come from a small team trying out the tool. I'm not entirely sure what the best way to reach them would be if I did need them. I'm also not sure how responsive they would be to support requests. But I think it's positive that I have not needed them.
We use it to track time on clients projects and for internal company projects/initiatives.
  • Can manually schedule time or use timer function.
  • Easy to create teams.
  • Easy to create/label various projects.
  • Wish reminders that it was left on came earlier.
  • Reporting function can be a little confusing.
Well suited for a small company like ours that needs to track time on clients' projects. Also well suited for a contract worker to track time and provide reports with their invoices.
Not sure, I haven't had to use their support function ever. Probably a good sign.
November 07, 2019

Can't go wrong with Toggl

Helen Valenzuela | TrustRadius Reviewer
Toggl is being used across our entire company. All of the people who do work for our firm are independent contractors who work remotely. Toggl allows the company to track time by client, keep tabs on how much work is done on projects (i.e. how much time is non-billable), and is a convenient source for payroll to pull from to prepare our paychecks.
  • Very easy to set up and use.
  • Remembers phrases you've used before to describe your work.
  • Time entries are easily edited.
  • When I tried to use Toggl for 2 different companies, it had a difficult time distinguishing which I wanted to use.
  • In the summary tab, you can only see one week of time. You can switch between certain time frames but can't see the entire month at once because it only keeps track of time by week.
Toggl is perfect for someone who works remotely, but you have to remember to open it, choose the client, start the timer and type in your work description. It would not work for a busy office where you are constantly switching between cases or projects because you would have to constantly be making entries.
I personally have never had the need to contact customer service with Toggl. Since it is easily accessed by the payroll dept. in the law firm, all I have to do is enter my time, designate the client, and they do the rest.
Sarah Whiteford | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Toggl for an external-facing projects. It allows us to provide solid billing information to the client, and further, it assists us in breaking down exactly where our hours are going on projects, thereby helping us to build better cost/time/resource maps for future projects.

Well, all this sounds great in practice, but really we are dreadful at keeping it up.

Toggl, and products like that are reliant upon a degree of discipline which our organisation currently struggles with, but additional integrations to other regularly used products - such as Xero - make this tool priceless for people who are providing services to clients on a time basis.
  • Integrations to regularly used client-facing software e.g. Xero for accountants
  • Amusing blogs and customer engagement tools keep us coming back
  • Brilliant reporting
  • Always more integrations: specifically we would love one with Smartsheet
Toggl is excellent for service facing Saas users, such as accountants, who can use the Toggl integrations to mark their time automatically from within the app.

In companies where the discipline to mark time is lacking, Toggl cannot help. The usefulness of this tool, particularly the reporting functions can only work when the tool works (garbage in, garbage out).
Bryan Buford | TrustRadius Reviewer
We currently use Toggl on an individual basis - as opposed to by teams. For our organization, we consider the software an optional tool for the time being. The software allows us to track hours spent on customers and/or projects. We have multiple functions so it's important to know where our team is being used. Analyzing hours spent allows us to identify where we need to add staff to better address current and future needs.
  • Toggl integrates smoothly across multiple devices. I can seamlessly move from the field on my phone to the office on my computer and utilize Toggl the entire time.
  • It has great customization. Setting up multiple customers in a variety of ways is easy and quick to do. We haven't found something we needed that we couldn't set up.
  • The reporting is clean and informative. Reports can be generated for multiple criteria.
  • We haven't spent a lot of time on the team aspect of the software, but the little we've seen we wish would be a little easier to figure out.
  • The desktop version of the software seems to have more limitations than any other aspect. Both the mobile app and the chrome app are extremely smooth and easy, but the desktop seems to not work quite as well.
Any scenario where you need to track time spent on projects or by customer. The customization of setup means it should work for almost any type of customer. We utilize the software to track time spent on projects, support, sales, customer service and software development.
Matt Heerema | TrustRadius Reviewer
Every team member at Mere Agency uses Toggl to track their time. We track project hours, admin hours, and several of our team members like it so much, they even track their personal time to help improve personal habits. Time tracking is essential for profitability in our business model. Most time tracking software is painful and tedious to use, leading to less than accurate tracking. Successful tracking software will be easy to use and virtually invisible to the user. Toggl is the only software we've found that gets close to this.
  • Lightweight interface. It is very simple to start and stop tracking.
  • Categorization, tags, projects, and clients. Make it easy to categorize time tracking and pull accurate reports
  • Reporting: their reporting system makes it simple to slice and dice our tracked data to get precisely the intel we need.
  • Integrations: it is missing integration with our accounting software (Xero) - this is a mild pain point, but would make a great product, ideal.
  • Interface design of desktop app. The desktop app is the best of any time tracking software out there, but it lacks the polish of the web and iOS interfaces.
If you need to track hours by project and client, and want to do it through the web, on your desktop, or mobile app, Toggl is the best choice. If you need deep integration with your accounting software, it will not work as well, but I can't imagine a scenario where deep accounting integration is more important than ease of use for initial data entry.
Mike Wittenstein | TrustRadius Reviewer
Toggl is a time tracking application available on your desktop, tablet, or mobile phone. We use Toggl to track time so that we can bill clients more accurately and understand the extent to which the hours we invest on our own business help us progress. Whenever we ramp up some contractors on a project, each submits their time using Toggl.
  • Toggl makes it super easy to identify your start and end times, total times, and tasks.
  • Toggl lets you track time by project and sub-project.
  • With one of the paid versions, Toggl lets you set rates, ties to your calendar for automatic time billing, send you reminders, and helps you measure project and individual profitability. We will probably buy into a paid program later in 2019. We are big fans of Toggl.
  • Occasionally, I find that I have to enter time from earlier in the week. It takes more clicks to do that…
  • I would love it if Toggl would work with Alexa, Siri, or Google. If it did, I would be able to say something like "Hey, Bill two hours for the ABC project this afternoon from 2 to 5" or "remind me tonight to enter my time for client XYZ." That would let me capture more hours and be more mobile.
Toggl is great when you:
  • bill clients for the time you spend
  • track the time you spend on internal projects
  • understand the profitability of each client, project, and individual
Toggl is not:
  • a replacement for your accounting program
  • able to make recommendations on how to better spend your time
  • able to track "missing" time or revenue
Shannon Bronico | TrustRadius Reviewer
We currently use Toggl to track billable and nonbillable hours worked by attorneys and paralegals. We use this information to create invoices for clients. The data is also used to analyze how time is spent on tasks to determine if we are appropriately charging clients. We can also determine where a staff member may need support or training if they spend an unusually long time on a task.
  • Toggl allows me to generate reports based on filters such as by client, by project, by staff member/user and by date range. This allows me to get billable hour reports for invoicing clients who have retainer fee agreements every other week.
  • Toggl has a workspace feature, where several users can share the same sets of projects and clients. Aside from billing clients, this is useful in that it provides data which we can analyze to see how time is being spent on a particular task. This allows us to see areas where productivity can be increased, such as decreasing nonbillable hours spent by staff who have larger caseloads or to decrease hours spent on tasks that can be automated by implementation of a system or new tool. It also helps to identify where a staff member may need extra support or training if a particular task takes an unusually long amount of time for the staff member to complete.
  • The ability to see other staff members recent work also allows all staff members to know who is handling a particular client's matter at a given time, or to see what the most recent stage of casework completed was. This information helps the staff communicate more easily if one person has a question about a particular client or matter. By looking at Toggl, any staff member can identify who would be the best person to relay information or client questions to.
  • When I generate a report based on a long date range (as opposed to a single day or week), Toggl provides logged time entries per project, user, or client, according to my search. Each time entry in the report is itemized and includes a description. However, the date and time per entry is not generated with this data. When I create invoices, I have to manually find what day the work was done.
Toggl is well suited for a small office of up to 20 employees using the same workspace. It is an efficient and easy tool for recording data to generate time sheets, billable hours for invoicing, and information for data analytics to identify areas for increasing productivity and measuring office and staff efficiency.

For offices that have complex billing structures or high volume of billable hours each billing period, I would not recommend Toggl as the primary tool for recording billable time. For a law office, I would suggest the timer and billing functions included with case management software like Rocket Matter or e-immigration.
Jerry Janes | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Toggl to track billable hours for my clients. It allows me to centralize all my work, using Projects and Clients to differentiate. I use it in conjunction with Google Docs, linking to notations of daily or hourly work, within each entry, for the purpose of sharing all I do, including data, with my clients. I run a report weekly or monthly, depending on the client, and link to the PDF and spreadsheet within my invoice. Toggl is very user friendly, very intuitive, and it is free!
  • Differentiate hours by Project and Client.
  • Run Reports by Summary, Detailed and/or Weekly basis, into multiple formats.
  • Add keywords to time entries with tags, allowing sorting entries in reports.
  • The only recommendation I'd give is for each time entry to be not only longer, allowing for specifics, but also RTF, in particular HTML, expanding each entry from their currently static state to more dynamic. This would negate the need to link to Google Docs within Toggl.
Toggl is well suited for consultants like me who have multiple clients and want to keep billing, not to mention work notations, centralized and ordered.
As for less appropriate, I cannot envision a scenario where it would not suffice, or be too much.
Stefan Boeykens | TrustRadius Reviewer
When growing from a very small office (3 people to about 10), we outgrew our own internal timesheet tool. Toggl seemed to be nicely organized and fit for the task, so we started a trial with it. While our employees are not directly paid by the hour, it helps us to get a grip on where time is spent and who worked on which project.
  • Easy web-based time entry
  • Good reporting and summaries
  • Nice dashboard views, easy to configure
  • The 'automatic' tracking is not used by us. The idea is OK, but that doesn't fit with our way of working
  • The keyboard navigation works fairly well. But automatic spelling corrector and our non-US keyboard layout hinder the typing a bit
  • Some features require additional payment
We are slowly growing towards a medium-sized company and keeping ahead of who is doing what becomes increasingly difficult. Toggl helps us to document this in intricate detail. The advantage is obviously the overview, summaries and reporting you can extract from that.

While we were interested in the many connection possibilities (integration via other APIs) we have not used those for now. And the automatic tracking only works well if you do this continuously and the whole day. With many meetings out of the office and not always online and the big chance of frequent switches between projects, makes this a feature that we don't use.
Benjamin E. Jerew | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a freelancer juggling multiple clients, projects, and assignments, it can be difficult to keep track of how much time I'm spending on a given task. This information can be critical in deciding how much time to spend at a certain part of any project and determine how much time is being spent or wasted. I've been using Toggl (and suggested others try Toggl) to track my tasks. I use this information to determine hourly rates and for billing, though I do not use the billing feature in Toggl.
  • Cross-platform Toggl'ing helps me keep track of tasks at home and on the go.
  • The website shows charts and graphs to help me see where my time is spent.
  • It's just easy to use. Click, add a couple notes, and you're done.
  • Easy to organize by client, project, and task.
  • Freemium covers most of my needs.
  • Doesn't include a screenshot feature.
  • Limited Freemium features.
I think Toggl is great for my one-man-army freelance automotive writing business. I would suggest it for anyone, though, especially if your work is task-based. I haven't looked into it, but I believe it's also designed for company-wide implementation, which could make it useful for teams and small companies to track time, tasks, and efficiency.
Wera Michalska | TrustRadius Reviewer
When I started out as a freelancer, this was a great system for tracking my time. It is easy to flag time blocks by project, so you can manage your bandwidth and see any outliers that are taking more time than they should. After I started to use this and I saw that Toggl is a great program for me and for my organization I then recommended it, and our manager checked the system and futures of Toggl and we started to use it at our company, to be able to track our time and generate beautiful reports and time usage graphs with an option to export time logs.
  • Getting weekly reports via e-mail or sharing public reports links are great with Toggl.
  • Toggl is supporting many desktop programs like windows/Mac/Linux etc.
  • Toggl always asks you that you were inactive for sometimes and asks you what to do with it.
  • Can be a bit spammy with tracking notifications.
  • It sometimes has connectivity issues and it then sometimes adds duplicate entries.
  • If you forgot to stop the time, it's a little bit clumsy to change the time.
Ability to add multiple projects (clients) as well as subtasks to track. Using Toggl has made it so much easier to have an accurate representation of how much time it actually takes for each project. On the other hand, it can be a little bit more difficult to fine-tune your reports and It does not support screen capture feature so this kind of issue may look simple and not important but for some of you can be a negative scenario.
Quentin Aisbett | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our whole team uses Toggl. It helps to keep track of the time we spend on client work and even specific projects for each client. This ensures that we do not miss any billable time and helps us to better estimate future projects.
  • It is so simple to use. You want a time-tracker to be something that really operates in the background but it is there when you need it. It does that with zero friction.
  • The reporting feature is A+. You can very easily look at a reporting period for clients, projects or for specific members of your team.
  • The free plan provides the basic functionality required for small teams.
  • Toggl is a time tracker and it does just that. Considering we utilize the free plan, I honestly can't ask for anything more.
We have a remote team so keeping a track of the hours spent on client projects can be difficult. Toggl is perfect in this scenario as it helps us monitor our team's time and the time invested on each specific project.

Chloe Sayers | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Toggl for my freelancing business so it is used throughout the whole organization. It addresses the issue of tracking time on a per-project or per-task basis.
  • Time tracking
  • Integration with other software
  • Detailed task management
  • While Toggl offers a lot of integrations with other software, most of these integrations don't work properly unless you are on a pro plan.
  • Toggle doesn't provide an automatic categorization of time tracked based on websites used during that time.
Toggl is great for someone who is focused on getting work done for a specific amount of time. It's not so great for someone who just wants a general overview of how they spend their time (e-mail, Facebook, etc..) and their overall productivity level. As a finance professional, I would not recommend using Toggl to create invoices; however, it can be a helpful back-end tool to provide timesheet data for invoicing.
Andre Yeu | TrustRadius Reviewer
For our small business, we use Toggl for two purposes:

1) Timesheet/timekeeping for hourly employees (they manually enter in duration of shifts worked, from which I run reports on for bi-weekly payroll)
and
2) For salaried employees, we use it to track the amount of time we spend on non-billable, support, or administrative work, so we have insight into our workloads and efficiency.
  • Reporting is easy, so it's easy to look at time spent by team member, task, etc.
  • The timer function is easy to turn on and turn off, making it easy to log time worked.
  • Categorization features make it easy to select what type of activity one is working on, so allocation of time spent is easily analyzed.
  • Perhaps our use is strange (timesheets), but it would be handy to have a UI feature that lets you bulk-enter time spent over an entire week (or two week period) as if for submitting a timesheet for payroll. For us to do this now, employees have to fill in each shift one at a time.
Well suited for: Tracking time for either internal purposes (ethogram/understanding what you spend your time on) or external purposes (billable time to clients, or as a basic way to track for hourly employees submitting timesheets).

If it involves tracking time, I think Toggl is pretty awesome. I can't see anyone using it unless it was for the right purpose.
We use Toggl to track time against projects. This helps our service department so we know where people are spending their time, if additional resources are needed and probably most important - how many hours to bill a client. We can track this down to the minute. Toggle has given us the ability to track tasks and time against those tasks.
  • Very easy to learn - the interface is simple!
  • Works on multiple platforms - Chrome extensions, mobile and browser.
  • There's no ability to invoice so if you need that you'll have to integrate another program.
  • Having employees use a uniform text for tasks and projects for easier reporting can be difficult.
If you need to track how much time is being spent on tasks and report on those tasks this is the solution for you. You can easily track projects and timing. If you need to invoice out from the same tracking solution that's the only scenario where this wouldn't fit.
We've only opened one ticket for Toggl and customer support answered within minutes. This is awesome for a SaaS solution like this where companies usually put them on "cruise control." The knowledge base for Toggl is also awesome and very easy to search. Highly valued customer support is there.