Overall Satisfaction with OpenDNS Umbrella Web Filtering
We made the decision to purchase Cisco Umbrella (when it was OpenDNS) in 2014 and implement it for over 2000 endpoints as an additional protection from malware and phishing. We saw the time our MSP spent on these types of issues plummet, from a few incidents a month to a handful per year. Money extremely well spent. We believed so much in the ROI, we paid for this service ourselves as a cost saving measure. I don't think we'll ever not use this service!
- Largely mitigates phishing and malware from compromised websites.
- Great web content filter for laptops that leave the office and for smaller clients that may not have any other web content filtering in place.
- Simple setup and management of the product.
- The biggest room for improvement is the support. It is email only since Cisco bought OpenDNS. We can purchase phone based support at additional cost.
- The navigation could be a bit better.
- Automated reporting isn't customizable. The built in reports are ok.
- Saved us lots of technician time dealing w/ Malware and virus issues, I don't think we've had a malware incident this year for example. This was the main reason we bought the product in the first place. We've renewed 2 times because we see the value.
- Umbrella helped us reduce the risk of CryptoLocker variants infecting our clients.
OpenDNS has great bang for the buck. We also run SonicWALL web content filters for most all of our clients, they make a great pair. In the past we've run Websense enterprise (great product, but pricey and their cloud version was sluggish back a few years ago.)
We use Cisco Umbrella as an additional layer of security for all of our clients. It really shines for mobile users who we still want to be restricted to our web content policies. I don't know if a situation where Umbrella wouldn't be appropriate, unless you just don't use the internet.
Using OpenDNS Umbrella Web Filtering
Like to use
Easy to use
Technical support not required
Quick to learn
Feel confident using
- Setup the filtering template and it applies to all of your sub tenants. One stop shopping.