Datto headquartered in Norwalk, Connecticut offers cloud backup, disaster recovery, and continuity services.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/Xv/nk/SK0M7R91QD1E.PNGDatto IncDatto Suite of Products2019-01-31T21:09:54.745ZI am a 100% Datto shop. I use their PSA, RMM and the BCDR solutions that they have across the board. For a single entity freelancer, their suite of products just can't be beat. The products are the easiest to setup and maintain that I have seen in my experience, and their support is top notch. The single sign-on solution for all of their products makes it extremely easy for me to automate my business. Bottom line, this company not only SAVES me time and money, but their marketing solution to help you drip market on either social media or through email is phenomenal and actually MAKES you money. As a product, they do a great job but do an even better job for their partners. As a channel only company, their number one focus from day one was to help me grow my business using their products. I can't say enough good things about their products or ethics.,Business Continuity and disaster recovery. If you want to have the ability to have your business back up and functional within minutes if a disaster strikes, this device is for you. The PSA portion of their company is phenomenal. It's a one-stop shop that tracks all of your billing, products, and sales from the initial opportunity to the completion of the work. Their pricing model makes it a very affordable option for not only MSP's but the end user as well.,I really don't have any areas. This may sound silly, but I'm not lying when I say it. lol,10,Positive: Easy to sell product Positive: Easy to make MRR on this product with high margins,StorageCraft Cloud Backup, Rubrik and Veeam Backup & Replication,Microsoft Office 365, ConnectWise Control (formerly ScreenConnect)Justin WellerHassle Free backup that actually comes with good support!2018-10-19T20:36:29.212ZMy company resells Datto to some of our clients. We rolled it out less than a year ago alongside one of their competitors and have found that Datto consistently outperforms the competition. We get fewer issues on the Datto clients, and the issues are often resolved by support before we even notify them that we missed a backup.,Reliable image based backup with cloud replication,Entry level BDR does not do encryption at rest... this is really the only complaint I have with Datto, but it's a big one... This should be a "permission to play" feature on EVERY BDR in the industry at this point.,10,We finally found a way to stop being buried by backup tickets... Datto just works, and we get to spend our time working on other things... It's hard to calculate the actual ROI of fewer BDR tickets, but my techs are happy and working with customers instead of back-end BDR noise.,eFolder Backup and ShadowProtect SPX,Code42 (formerly CrashPlan), Skype for Business, IT GlueAlex FarlingDatto RMM great for the Small in-house IT team2019-01-29T19:01:24.961ZI am an in-house IT manager and a team of one. Thankfully the majority of my infrastructure is in the cloud but like I said: a team of one. Datto is my RMM and my source of information on my computer hardware. This solution is in the cloud and allows me to manage my computers from anywhere.,Information on computer hardware. Allows the creations of user-defined fields: so helpful. Great reporting tools.,Modernize the interface and streamline it. It feels like there are a lot of clicks to get to commonly used areas. More user defined fields (not a deal breaker).,9,I can operate from anywhere and so can my users. See how hardware is performing and be proactive.,Jason RojasDatt-oh-no2018-08-30T22:31:30.789ZOn its face, Datto appears to provide the BCP and DR readiness an organization may need for backing up and protecting their systems. When it works, it works great.,Ability to snap shot a machine. Rapid, point-in-time recovery protecting against ransomware. Bare metal restores,Customer service is horrible. They completely shift support to the MSP so you can't contact their engineers directly. No visibility into problems with the unit for the owner/customer. Again, forcing reliance on an MSP for support issues.,3,Thus far the impact has been negative and the ROI is negative. The product has not been doing all of the things it was advertised to do. Hard to rely on a product that is supposed to synchronize your data offsite but has been failing for two years but it does not tell you where the problems lie.,Zerto Virtual Replication,Zerto Virtual Replication, Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance, Carbonite Server BackupKevin Hutchinson, CISSPDatto and your peace of mind2019-01-12T02:50:32.835ZWe currently use Datto as a backup and Disaster Recovery solution for many of our clients. Datto allows for backup on premise and to their datacenters allowing you to quickly recover from data loss or a disaster that may impact your business. In an age of crypto malware, Datto allows for peace of mind when protecting your data.,Backup your data. Allows you to turn on a virtualized environment in case your servers are lost or destroyed. Quickly recover from data loss due to malware or user error.,Speed in which the initial back is made. Datto Nas devices should allow for more shares to be supported. Better user interface in their dashboard.,10,For a business that has been hit by crypto malware, [this is worth] the price of the business. Peace of mind knowing that all your files are protected all the time. Very easy to setup and once it's installed there is no hassle.,ShadowProtect SPX, Acronis Backup Cloud and Veritas Backup Exec,Acronis Backup Cloud, ShadowProtect SPX, Carbonite Server BackupVerified User
Windows, Linux, Mac
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>
Reviews (1-16 of 16)
Vendors can't alter or remove reviews. Here's why.
January 31, 2019
I am a 100% Datto shop. I use their PSA, RMM and the BCDR solutions that they have across the board. For a single entity freelancer, their suite of products just can't be beat. The products are the easiest to setup and maintain that I have seen in my experience, and their support is top notch. The single sign-on solution for all of their products makes it extremely easy for me to automate my business. Bottom line, this company not only SAVES me time and money, but their marketing solution to help you drip market on either social media or through email is phenomenal and actually MAKES you money. As a product, they do a great job but do an even better job for their partners. As a channel only company, their number one focus from day one was to help me grow my business using their products. I can't say enough good things about their products or ethics.
- Business Continuity and disaster recovery. If you want to have the ability to have your business back up and functional within minutes if a disaster strikes, this device is for you.
- The PSA portion of their company is phenomenal. It's a one-stop shop that tracks all of your billing, products, and sales from the initial opportunity to the completion of the work.
- Their pricing model makes it a very affordable option for not only MSP's but the end user as well.
- I really don't have any areas. This may sound silly, but I'm not lying when I say it. lol
Read Justin Weller's full review
Well Suited for security, ransomware detection, and the ability to recover from disaster. There are no situations where this product is less appropriate. This company has at least ONE product in their suite that can help you.
October 19, 2018
My company resells Datto to some of our clients. We rolled it out less than a year ago alongside one of their competitors and have found that Datto consistently outperforms the competition. We get fewer issues on the Datto clients, and the issues are often resolved by support before we even notify them that we missed a backup.
- Reliable image based backup with cloud replication
- Entry level BDR does not do encryption at rest... this is really the only complaint I have with Datto, but it's a big one... This should be a "permission to play" feature on EVERY BDR in the industry at this point.
Read Alex Farling's full review
Any MSP customer who has a server needs Datto on it...
January 29, 2019
Score 9 out of 10
I am an in-house IT manager and a team of one. Thankfully the majority of my infrastructure is in the cloud but like I said: a team of one. Datto is my RMM and my source of information on my computer hardware. This solution is in the cloud and allows me to manage my computers from anywhere.
- Information on computer hardware.
- Allows the creations of user-defined fields: so helpful.
- Great reporting tools.
- Modernize the interface and streamline it. It feels like there are a lot of clicks to get to commonly used areas.
- More user defined fields (not a deal breaker).
Read Jason Rojas's full review
If you are a team of one and need to manage and support your users, this allows you to remote in and control your machines as if you had local Windows infrastructure in house. I can use remote support when they need me and I can see when a computer is utilizing too many resources before my user tells me.
August 30, 2018
Score 3 out of 10
On its face, Datto appears to provide the BCP and DR readiness an organization may need for backing up and protecting their systems. When it works, it works great.
- Ability to snap shot a machine.
- Rapid, point-in-time recovery protecting against ransomware.
- Bare metal restores
- Customer service is horrible.
- They completely shift support to the MSP so you can't contact their engineers directly.
- No visibility into problems with the unit for the owner/customer. Again, forcing reliance on an MSP for support issues.
Read Kevin Hutchinson, CISSP's full review
If it worked like it is designed then it would be a great product. The customer with which I am currently engaged was unaware of issues that have existed since 2016 and they were never revealed by the MSP. Luckily for the customer they have not experienced a significant event as it would have had a major impact on their ability to recover.
January 11, 2019
We currently use Datto as a backup and Disaster Recovery solution for many of our clients. Datto allows for backup on premise and to their datacenters allowing you to quickly recover from data loss or a disaster that may impact your business. In an age of crypto malware, Datto allows for peace of mind when protecting your data.
- Backup your data.
- Allows you to turn on a virtualized environment in case your servers are lost or destroyed.
- Quickly recover from data loss due to malware or user error.
- Speed in which the initial back is made.
- Datto Nas devices should allow for more shares to be supported.
- Better user interface in their dashboard.
Read this authenticated review
It's well suited in small, medium, and large businesses or enterprises. It can backup your server infrastructure all the way down to the desktop. It also backs up email and all Microsoft Office 365 applications with the ability to quickly recover. Datto, while a great product, may not be appropriate for home backup setups.
May 16, 2018
Score 9 out of 10
My organization resells, implements and supports all Datto solutions as part of a managed service or professional services agreement. We have found the most success in small to mid-sized companies with small IT departments, and even smaller IT budgets. The Datto appliance is a great BCDR appliance that has the ability to quickly spin-up a downed server on the Datto appliance or in various cloud environments.
- Datto's RoundTrip service, which is an external hard drive provided by Datto to expedite the transfer of larger data sets to the Datto Coud. This can also be used for outages and if replication falls behind.
- Reporting - Datto does a nice job with the Backup Report page which displays information on a per-agent basis for Screenshots, Forced Backups, Scheduled Backups, Last Screenshot, Last Successful Backup
- Screenshot Verification - this feature boots and screenshots recovery points created by associated agent. This way, it can ensure that the agent will boot successfully in a restore.
- The installation of Datto can be tricky without experts.
Read this authenticated review
Datto is highly recommend for smaller environments (less than 5 TB of Front End Data) with limited IT staff and resources.
January 29, 2018
We are using the Datto Siris and Datto NAS in our office and we sell all the Datto line to our clients. Datto is our Business Continuity Solution. The biggest reason we have stayed with Datto is because it just works. We have had to run off of a server virtualized on our Datto Siris for more than a month due to parts issues with one of our servers and the Datto performed just as if it was the server and continued to perform backups hourly.
- Server Virtualization! Datto is fast in virtualizing your servers it is backing up. We have had clients up in 12 minutes after a dual hard drive failure.
- Support is usually fast. We don't have to call support often but when we do they have been easy to contact with little wait time.
- Alerting! The Datto sends alerts to our PSA. The ticket creation is very important to us and the Datto works very well with our PSA.
- The only con is the price. I would like to see better margins for reselling the product. We include managing the Datto in our monthly and though we don't have a lot of issues with the Dattos, we do have a dedicated engineer that monitors them so we have a lot invested in offering the Datto line. Otherwise, there is no other con!
Read Stana Steen's full review
Every company with data should have a Datto period. Either a Datto Siris or a Datto NAS for small workgroup type businesses. With moving to the cloud our small clients are utilizing the Datto NAS instead of purchasing a server for files sharing. This is an economical solutions for small businesses to safe guard their data and have easy access to it.
December 27, 2017
Score 7 out of 10
I have implemented Datto appliances at numerous clients and they are one of the leading BDR appliances on the market. The killer feature of the Datto appliance is the ability to quickly spin up a downed server on the Datto hardware. This minimizes downtime while repairing the failed server.
- All servers are backed up at the image level. This means they are capable of virtualizing or spinning up the server on the Datto appliance in times of outage.
- Built on the reliable StorageCraft software, they are very reliable, hands-off back-ups. Once setup and configured, the jobs go off and backup the resource without much intervention.
- Spinning up a downed server on the Datto hardware appliance means very minimal downtime for business-critical servers.
- Datto hardware can be very pricey. The appliances have processors and memory to spin up production servers on-the-fly so it is essentially purchasing another server vs. a BDR appliance only.
- The hardware comes with a warranty that must be manually renewed. Other competitors provide devices that do not include warranties vs. an ongoing subscription and hardware refresh.
- The hardware runs with StorageCraft as the underlying software. Datto does not produce and maintain their own code for the backup process.
Read Derek Schroeder's full review
For large companies that are willing to invest the money in a Datto, they provide superior image-level backups of servers. They provide the option of minimal downtime with the ability to run servers on their own hardware as virtual machines.
September 15, 2017
I have been using datto SASS for email backup for about 100 users. This is across 3 domains. I have been using this solution for about one year and the client has been satisfied. Will definitely use with other clients.
Read Franz Josef Bautista's full review
Backup, business continuity, virtualization
December 22, 2017
Score 5 out of 10
We are a reseller of Datto. Datto is used for backup and true disaster recovery. Backups and restores are very easy/quick and the appliances check backup integrity nightly (including spinning up of VMs on the appliance itself and sending an email of completion). Cloud management of this product in a multi-tenant environment is straightforward and time saving for our engineers.
- Cloud replication
- Meets compliance and regulatory requirements
- Datto is one of the more expensive solutions out there (often cost prohibitive)
- Sales people are pushy and often rude
- No refresh cycle (like Barracuda)
Read this authenticated review
Ideal solution for a business with several Hyper-V instances, as Datto is the best (as far as I'm concerned) at restoring them. The appliance can live boot the VMs on the appliance itself as well as in the cloud. Datto is a great BDR solution if money is not a concern.
March 29, 2017
Our Datto device is used to backup all IT servers. This includes our onsite Exchange server, MSSQL server and file server. It covers a variety of physical and virtualized servers. The Datto covers our backup and disaster recovery requirements and gives us far more capabilities than our previous solution while also being far easier to use.
- Simple agent setup for new machines to be protected. A new machine can be setup on the server in under a minute whether it be a Linux or Windows based machine.
- Local virtualization on the Datto is quick to start up. After a physical problem with a server I had the machine locally virtualized on the Datto before users had a chance to report service issues to me.
- Nothing to do on my end to get backups shifted to offsite data center. Schedules are setup for each machine or group of machines and I sleep well knowing all our backups are safely stored offsite.
- Occasionally backups which get restored can have an issue when being unmounted. A recent update has provided a simple way to fix this should it occur.
Read Matthew Fex's full review
Datto works well for smaller shops that just need something that will work without needing a great deal of day to day work on it. I only login to the device periodically to see where we stand on space and occasionally when we need to restore something. The offsite datacenter backup which is hosted by Datto works well for us particularly as we do not have our own offsite tech to use. In larger departments other solutions will possibly win out based on required features and setups but for the 1-10 man IT departments the Datto solutions fit in well.
April 18, 2017
Score 8 out of 10
We use Datto in house to back up our data. We have 13 servers being backed up hourly by an SP2000 device which we have had for several years. We find this image based solution the best solution when it comes to backups. Not only can we go back to restores every hour, but we can go back to the first image we created of the server. Granted, this is not an archive as some people view backups. That's a whole different ballgame, but for what it is, Datto gives us peace of mind that our data is backed up consistently and properly.
- Great imaged based backup
- Hourly incrementals for very granular restore capabilities
- Good support
- While support is good, they have increased in size very quickly, and a lot of the lower support now involves them sending you links, instead of working with you directly to resolve the issue.
- Pricing can be tricky and expensive, especially for smaller businesses.
- Some of the smaller units seem to go offline more than expected.
Read Rob Rotundo's full review
Datto is good for all sizes businesses from small to large. Sizing the unit and pricing can get tricky for some clients. Especially when it comes to the offsite sizing and pricing. Datto is really good for all businesses. I don't know of a scenario where it isn't unless you're talking backing up a Citrix environment. You'll probably need a different solution in order to handle the processing power needed for a Citrix environment.
March 28, 2017
We implement only Datto Technologies to handle all of the backup and disaster recovery needs for all of customers. We are a Managed Services Provider and find both the ease of implementation, day to day monitoring to be second to none. It takes away a lot of stress knowing that Datto has our back.
- Datto backups just work. Rarely do I ever need to worry about backups not running, failing, or not properly backing up. Datto is pretty much a set it and forget device.
- Datto offers screenshots of systems that have been previously backed up. This takes away a lot of stress, wondering whether or nor our servers will be able to be restored should disaster strike. We can just check the screenshots an know that our backups are ready to restore at a moments notice.
- If it turns out that you do need to reach out to Datto support, they are some of the best, most knowledgeable support staff I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. They are quick, friendly, and know their Datto Technologies.
- Datto Backup systems are ridiculously easy to setup. Just follow some prompts and you will be backing up in no time.
- If I had to choose a con, I would like the ability to receive alerts when my offsite backups are more than 24 - 48 hours out of date.
Read Michael Kerzner's full review
If you have a business and rely on servers and PCs for your day to day business, you simply must have a Datto device. You never want to be caught in a situation where a server pops and your data is just gone. With a Datto device, you will never lose sleep again wondering whether your data is safe.
March 31, 2017
We are using Datto to backup multiple servers. Is it being used across the whole organization.
- .Instant virtualization locally, In less then 5 minutes you can have a server running on the Datto
- Ability to Export VMDK and VHD
- Agent-less and integration with a Hypervisor
- Backup windows 2016 with shadowsnap agent (currently not supported)
- HyperV integration
Read Romeo Popa's full review
I would recommend datto to any business. Their products can support 2-user companies up to enterprises. Great product.
July 12, 2016
Score 6 out of 10
We are currently using the Datto SIRIS to back up about 10TB of data. This includes servers, virtual servers, and NAS devices. We keep a week of backups onsite with the unit and several weeks/months offsite. The Datto interface allows us to check the status of all backups at a glance which is extremely helpful.
- Centralized management of all backups.
- Local and offsite syncs.
- Local and cloud virtualization.
- Service has to be managed by a reseller which is hit or miss in regards to quality of service.
- Hardware can be sluggish at times.
Read John Hamas's full review
Datto works well for environments that are not very resource intensive in regards to servers. If there were a major incident, I wouldn't depend on Datto being able to run the environment. It works well for backups, but not as a DR solution.
December 18, 2015
Score 7 out of 10
We actually sold Datto to clients that utilized our services and also worked to implement it within those clients' organizations. I had only little experience with it during my time at the company. It did provide good recovery solutions for these clients and operated with good functionality
- Datto worked very well with image level backup and recovery within a virtual environment.
- Datto was also very easy to use and made performing backups and restores quite simple.
- The installation of Datto could definitely be a little more fast tracked and easier to understand.
- Customer service/support could definitely use improvement.
Read Kevin Belonzi's full review
Datto is definitely well suited for environments that are heavy with virtual infrastructure and are in need of a disaster recovery plan.
Datto Scorecard Summary
Datto is a provider of comprehensive backup, recovery and business continuity solutions used by thousands of managed service providers around the world. The vendor says their 200+ purpose-built cloud and family of software and hardware devices provide total data protection everywhere business data lives. Additionally, Datto says it is the only vendor that offers end-to-end recoverability and single-vendor accountability.
Does not have featureFree Trial Available?No
Does not have featureFree or Freemium Version Available?No
Does not have featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?No
Entry-level set up fee?No
Datto sells 100% through the channel. Specifically, Datto partners with managed service providers (MSPs). The MSPs then sell direct to small and mid-sized businesses, worldwide.
Datto Support Options
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Datto Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac|