KISS with Prophix
August 02, 2019
KISS with Prophix
Score 10 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Prophix
The Wilderness Society uses Prophix for budgeting revenue and expenses, reporting, allocations, and one unique process where we allocate staff salaries based on planned time allocations to projects and tasks. We also use Prophix for staff planning. We have one administrator and one advanced user. Budget to actuals reports are sent out to budget managers monthly, and Prophix is used throughout the year for adhoc analyses and for producing reports for Finance, the Executive Team, and the Governing Council.
- The flexibility of being able to create cubes to model your organization is a strength.
- The ability to create allocations in Prophix is a strength.
- The ability to create templates for standard reports makes producing report fast and easy.
- Fast implementation time is a plus for Prophix
- In the future, it would nice to be able to preview an adhoc query result before committing to it. Sometimes waiting for the query results to finish rendering is a pain, especially if you realize that you need to change the view once you finally see it. This only applies to very large adhoc results however. 90% of the time, the wait time is very short.
- Taking the mechanics out of maintaining budgets and actuals from managers, frees them up for the work they really want to focus on.
- Moving to the cloud version of Prophix recently has freed us from being in the server maintenance business and allowed more of my time, specifically, to be focused on business intelligence solutions instead of getting patches applied, dealing with down servers, etc.
- With just two of us managing Prophix, the budgets, and the reporting, we've minimized the amount of end-user hand-holding we were doing with other software products. Managers get the information they need with minimal fuss and without having to understand how to use another software system.
We've gone through a few different scenarios with data importing, all of which worked just fine. The only thing I wish were different in the cloud version is that I had more control over the API directly. I used to be able to create data views using SQL on the GL side, and then create the connections in Prophix myself to import the data from the created view. But now any new data pulls I might like to create requires Prophix to create the connection (at a cost).
I think this type of flexibility is important for any organization. Some organizations have very limited IT staff, so the public cloud version might make the most sense. Other larger organizations, might like that control of their data within their own server farms.
Prophix support, hands down, has been the most knowledgeable and competent group of support folks I've ever worked with in my career. Really. They know their product inside and out, and with a little explaining from me, "get" what I am trying to do and have solid solutions. And every support person I've ever encountered at Prophix (as well as their sales staff, customer relationship folks, etc.), have just been really nice people to work with.
The ability to create cubes specific to your organization along with the ability to create multiple budget versions, makes Prophix a terrific tool for budgeting and forecasting. The software is easy to use, and the adhoc tool makes analyzing data a snap, especially if you like to dump data to Excel and play with pivot tables. Where we found Prophix less appropriate is for managers who develop detailed project plans using lots of words or descriptions. Our conservation managers develop detailed project plans with dollars attached to them which then have to be translated into a format with can import into Prophix.