Accountant perspective of Sage
August 07, 2018

Accountant perspective of Sage

Overall Satisfaction with Sage Intacct

Sage is our main accounting system where we record all transactions and prepare our financial statements. It provides our organization ability to report on the various dimensions (departments) so we can understand where our costs and profitability lie.
  • Ability to report on various locations and dimensions
  • Electronic attachments for journals, bills, etc. Helps to keep paperless options and have immediate access to detail.
  • Create reports that are specfic to various needs in accounting.
  • Credit card transactions cannot be edited after posting (for example to go back and add an attachment).
  • There was an incident in 2017 where all attachments appeared to have been scanned but they weren't there when looking for them. Sage Intacct knew of the cyber glitch that caused this to happen but we only found out through our vendor.
  • The report construction is tedious and takes a lot of time to sift through the account member structures and figure out how to build a report a certain way. In my opinion takes a lot of trial and error to get correct.
  • It would be great to have the ability to really drill down on reports.
  • A huge upgrade to QuickBooks. We are able to isolate reporting by locations and departments that wasn't possible before.
  • Much easier to research and find missing transactions, transactions improperly recorded and overall review of GL.
  • Reporting is quick and easy at month end.
  • Sage Intacct has not had a negative impact and is worth the investment our company made for it.
We don't currently use automation but plan to connect our point of sales system to upload transactions into Sage through API, however it is not there yet so I cannot offer more comment.
We do not currently use any of the advanced modules. I would like to have project accounting as we are currently in the process of building and improving some leasehold properties. It is something I will mention to our CFO.
We don't use integration yet so I cannot rate it.
Microsoft Dynamics was a very comprehensive software and I liked using it. The business where I had experience using it was by far much larger in terms of revenue, employees and complexity than the environment in which I use Sage Intacct. The choice for Sage was due to expense. Microsoft Dynamics ran in the millions of dollars in cost.
Sage Intacct is very well suited to overall accounting and reporting. It's much more comprehensive than QuickBooks.

I don't think it would handle a production scenario where you could create and track the various stages of production through to finished goods.

We use the inventory module for some packaging material we buy and it isn't super efficient in moving inventory in and out but overall is functional but I have used more robust inventory software.

Sage Intacct Feature Ratings