Professor Markley's Review of SAP Business One
Overall Satisfaction with SAP Business One
We use SAP Business One in our Management Information Systems and Accounting Information Systems courses at Saint Vincent College. We offer 60 to 80 students hands-on access to SAP Business One every semester. Additionally, we run an independent study course allowing students to train to be SAP Business One consultants upon graduation.
- SAP Business One is very easy to use and new users can be trained in hours not days or weeks.
- SAP Business One is a great product for a simple to moderate discrete manufacturer. Additionally, there are a number of add-ons that give continuous manufacturers a strong solution
- SAP Business One offers strong sales and purchasing functionality.
- SAP Business One is tightly integrated with Microsoft Office
- SAP Business One is tightly integrated with Crystal Reports
- The financial reporting capabilities of SAP Business One are not robust. However, the product is integrated with Crystal Reports and a number of Software Solutions Providers (SSPs) offer financial reporting add-ons.
- SAP Business One does not have robust manufacturing routing capabilities.
- Our institution was using SAP ECC, and our students were struggling with the complex navigation. Now that we are using SAP Business One, students are using the solution in a single class period.
I have personally worked with Oracle, JD Edwards, QuickBooks and Made2Manage. SAP Business One is MUCH easier to use than Oracle and JD Edwards, far more robust than QuickBooks and Made2Manage does not have the support of a company like SAP. I would strongly recommend SAP Business One for a company that is less than $50 million in revenue.
SAP Business One is a strong solution for discrete manufacturers with only a few locations. It is also a strong solution for subsidiaries or joint ventures of companies running SAP ECC. Additionally, there are many Software Solutions Providers (SSPs) who offer strong add-ons that complement SAP Business One.
Over the past two years SAP has added a great deal of new SAP Business One on-line training for version 9.0 and 9.1. Most of the training is very strong, but some is difficult to understand and follow. Additionally, SAP still has a few holes in their on-line training around Production, Bill-of-Materials, MRP and Service.
Using SAP Business One
Our institution is a member of the SAP University Alliance. We have chosen to use SAP Business One in our Management Information Systems and Accounting Information Systems classes for seven years, because the students can use the product quickly and come to understand the functionality and integration that an ERP system has to offer.