Overall Satisfaction with SAP Business Warehouse
SAP Business Warehouse (BW) is being used across the whole organization in my current employer. SAP BW was also used across the whole organization in my previous employers which were top 3 of their respective industries: telecommunications, oil & gas, mining, manufacturing and fast moving consumer goods. SAP BW was used as the primary reporting and analytics tools at the corporate level. SAP BW give the business an ability to analyze business performance mainly in finance and logistics.
- Data replication from SAP ERP or other SAP systems (like SAP CRM, SAP APO).
- Data transformation from SAP ERP.
- Data warehousing capabilities.
- Long cycle time from data preparation to reporting.
- Below par standard reporting user interface when using Business Explorer (BEx) reporting tool.
- Additional SAP products required for self-service capability and dashboarding.
- Positive impact: consistent approach in SAP Business Warehouse corporate data warehouse is supporting a single source of truth for reporting.
- Negative impact: long turnaround time for report development.
- Negative impact: staff with good technical SAP Business Warehouse skill is expensive and hard to acquire
SAP Business Warehouse scores higher in data warehouse functionalities for integration to SAP ERP and other SAP solutions such as SAP CRM, SAP APO, and SAP SRM. Standard SAP data source extractors which are available in SAP ERP can be used immediately for full or delta replication into SAP Business Warehouse. System governance in SAP Business Warehouse is top-notch with change management support for migration between system landscape from the development system to production system.
SAP Business Warehouse is well suited for large size corporations (more than 5,000 employees) with SAP ERP deployment and with multiple SAP modules (Finance, Materials Management, and Human Resources) deployment. SAP Business Warehouse needs to be supported by highly trained staff to take advantage its full functionalities. SAP Business Warehouse is less appropriate for small and medium-size corporations (less than 5,000 employees) as full SAP Business Warehouse support might become too expensive. SAP Business Warehouse is also less appropriate for an organization where SAP ERP is not used.