Overall Satisfaction with SAP Crystal Reports
We use Crystal Reports to create custom reports for several of our clients. Typically, we are in a scenario where the client is using some other software that does not provide reporting that is robust enough for their business needs. We also do some in house reporting with Crystal Reports, as it is the reporting engine that our CRM software uses.
- Crystal Reports is great for easily creating simple reports.
- Crystal Reports helps us to speed up report development.
- Crystal Reports allows non-technical users to create some of the reports they need.
- The user interface can be a bit cluttered sometimes.
- The reports are saved in a binary file format and therefore unable to be "diffed" or looked at using source control tools.
The user interface is much simpler in SSRS, but SSRS also lacks a lot of the features that Crystal Reports has. So it is somewhat of a tradeoff. The fact that Crystal Reports saves reports as binary files is somewhat of a hindrance, but we ultimately chose it because it is more powerful.
It is particularly well suited for quickly writing simple reports, even if the user does not have a whole lot of technical knowledge or experience. It is somewhat less appropriate for more complex reports, although it does allow a wide range of formatting options for the report and the data contained therein.