Overall Satisfaction with Shopify
I have used Shopify off/on since they launched (way back in 2005-2006). I use it for ecommerce niche sites that I run on the side.
- Amazingly easy to get up and running
- Fantastic theming and support community
- Great payment processing integration with Paypal, Stripe, and now Shopify Payments
- Monthly pricing is a bit all over the place and not super budget conscious for burgeoning web entrepreneurs.
- Some plans still have a transaction fee attached. This needs to go away.
- Missing out on some basic ecommerce features that other carts incorporate natively (real time shipping quotes, chat, gift cards/coupons, etc)
- Better order management and therefore ROI
- Easy to use for customer service due to built-in logging, communication, and chargeback features.
Compares nicely with the competition but leads in theming, ease-of-use, and community support.
Shopify is always my go-to platform but I'm always looking at alternatives in the marketplace. But if I need a new niche to test or a concept to test then I use Shopify since it's fast and easy to get up and going.
It's great for startups and new entrepreneurs and those that are not super techy. It's very intuitive and easy to customize and utilize. It might not be the best platform if you require a ton of customization and tie-ins.