Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor
Our company purchased SolarWinds NPM 2 years ago because we needed a product that would monitor and notify us regarding disk usage of Windows OS based servers (physical and virtual) as well as monitor and notify us if any equipment in our datacenter lost connectivity or powered off. SolarWinds NPM has been able handle both tasks very well and has been very reliable. The only cons I would have on SolarWinds NPM is I think it could be a more user friendly for those who are new to using the product on registering types of nodes for different types of equipment and I would like the product to notify me when nodes have been restored out of an alert state (e.g. the device has more disk space available or connectivity has been restored). I will say that SolarWinds support has been great on answering questions and I could use more training on SolarWinds NPM as there might be current ways to solve the cons I mentioned that I am not aware of. Overall the product has suited our needs very well and I’m sure we have barely scratched the surface of what it’s capabilities are.
- Monitors connectivity of various types of equipment.
- Monitors disk usage for physical and virtual Windows servers.
- Can create granular rules for disk usage for alerts.
- Reliable email notifications on alerts.
- Large learning curve for first time users.
- First time users may need help from support to set up.
- Email notifications of nodes that are no longer in alerted state.
- Extremely good disk usage threshold notifications over entire network.
- Less customer down times due to notifications of disk usage.
- Less man hours spent in "fire hose" mode to clean up disk usage.
We chose Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor over other solutions for two main reasons: NPM can monitor more than just one type of appliance or OS, it can monitor all types of network related equipment including virtual operating systems as well as physical operating systems all with one product. The competitors product could only handle virtual servers. Overall the cost was significantly cheaper for SolarWinds NPM than the competitor's product.
SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor may be one of the few products on the market that can monitor and notify you regarding disk usage for physical and virtual servers. The other products our company looked at could only handle physical servers or virtual servers, but not both types. SolarWinds NPM nodes were more difficult to set up on Windows OS based servers. This may be just a training issue.