Overall Satisfaction with SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor
We use SAM to monitor and alert on the health of our Windows servers as well as applications such as Exchange, SQL, IIS and SharePoint. We also write custom monitors for third party software. We monitor servers across all of our locations and data centers. Adding SAM to NPM gave us the level of detail to identify issues before they became serious enough to take the entire server or application down. SAM was critical to our strategy of becoming a more proactive department instead of reactive.
- SAM provides built in templates for monitoring common applications.
- SAM provides a framework to easily write custom monitors for third party applications.
- For built in templates SAM gives guidance for what an alert means and often how to resolve it.
- I believe the pricing of SAM is a bit on the high side.
- For us the ROI with SAM has been that is allows us to identify issues earlier and prevent unplanned downtime. Thereby increasing employee productivity.
If your environment is predominantly Windows (there is Linux support but I have not used it), you leverage applications such as AD, Exchange, SQL and IIS, and especially if you already use NPM then SAM may be just what you are looking for if you want to take your server & app monitoring to the next level. The ability to use templates from other SAM users through the SolarWinds community site is also a great way to further leverage the investment.
SolarWinds Server & Application Monitor Feature Ratings
SAM is a powerful product with an intuitive interface that makes it very simple to use with little training.
- Monitoring Windows Services
- Monitoring TCP ports
- Product Features
- Product Usability
- Product Reputation
- Prior Experience with the Product
- Vendor Reputation
- Existing Relationship with the Vendor
Integration with other SolarWinds solutions