VWO Review 9 of 98
VWO Review: "Great user insight and conversion optimization tool"
Michel Zurkirchen profile photo
March 01, 2019

VWO Review: "Great user insight and conversion optimization tool"

Score 8 out of 101

Overall Satisfaction with VWO

VWO is used within our digital department to run A/B tests and to personalise our website for visitor segments. I personally also find it useful to watch recordings of visitors that have dropped out of our ecommerce funnel. VWO makes it easy to select these recordings, instead of having to manually go through a great number of irrelevant recordings.
  • When designing A/B variations I can choose to either use the visual editor or to make the changes using code. I particularly like using jQuery.
  • VWO offers the ability to keep long term track of the performance of your goals.
  • I can easily identify recordings of users that dropped out of a funnel and watch those.
  • There is live chat to get support, with great response times and which is very helpful.
  • You are forced to create observations and hypotheses when creating a test, which is a great way to make sure that you are actually testing something worthwhile.
  • You can group tests together so that you can rule out interaction effects between tests that you are running at the same time.
  • The heatmaps within A/B tests are overlayed on the live website. Unfortunately, these don't work properly when scrolling down the site.
  • I am missing an overview of all my custom conversions. I can only see a list of frequently used goals while setting up an A/B test, which may or may not include all custom conversions.
  • I can't give exact numbers, but it has contributed in identifying issues that we have then addressed.
The A/B testing functionality allows us to validate whether specific changes that we want to make to our website actually have the impact that we want them to have, rather than just going by gut feeling.
I am personally not very involved with this aspect of VWO, though I am aware of its capabilities. When used right, i.e. when you have meaningful segments, you can derive great benefit from this.
It has made it easier for the unexperienced to make changes and run a test. I think this also has the downside that people underestimate what they are doing on the website. The very first test ever that I tried to make was erroneous due to my editing dynamic content using the WYSIWYG editor. Making the tool easy to use for non experienced people is a double edged sword.
I used Google Optimize when it had just launched. It was therefore not yet a competitor to VWO. I haven't used it in roughly half a year time, so a lot has probably changed.

I still use Hotjar for certain features that VWO offers, but which I think function better in Hotjar. I for instance prefer the Hotjar heatmaps, because I can elect to ignore certain elements on the webpage, such as a cookie consent pop up. A simple difference which makes me like Hotjar recordings more is that I can view a recording and click next, rather than going back to the overview and selecting the next recording.
It is well suited for exactly what you would expect. To gain insight into what visitors are doing on your website and to improve your website based on these insights through testing. Given my experience so far, I would say it is less suited to deal with websites that use AJAX. The insight gathering tools are still valuable, but the testing tools quickly become complicated.