Zoom: the better alternativehttps://www.trustradius.com/web-conferencingZoomUnspecified8.911811012017-10-31T21:28:31.664Z
October 31, 2017
Zoom: the better alternative
Score 10 out of 101
Overall Satisfaction with Zoom
I am the host for a weekly virtual show. There are approximately 300 in our group of Accountants, Bookkeepers, IT consultants and other professionals that support small businesses. We usually have anywhere from 6 to 20 members join us each week. We started our weekly meetings using Google's YouTube live, "Hangouts." We had technical difficulties almost every week, and it never got better. I was introduced to Zoom by a colleague, stopped using Hangouts and started using Zoom. I used the free version for several months, and liked it so much I purchased the Pro Version. Technical difficulties are very rare and usually associated with a poor internet connection. I record our weekly meeting and then upload the MP4 to YouTube and publish. I often copy the chat text if there are web links to the items discussed during the meeting and post in the comments.
- Technical difficulties are very rare.
- Very easy to use, even novices will be up and running in a very short time.
- I love the ability to toggle between speaker view and gallery view. I can see the current speaker highlighted when talking - good for demos or use the gallery view to show everyone in the conversation, good if we are all involved in the conversation.
- I would like to see the names of participants or be given the option to show the names in the recording. Currently you can only see the names while in the Zoom meeting.
- I would love to have frames around each of us. I do like the background option but would like something more like the "lower third" in the Google Hangouts.
- I would like to see auto shut off. Sometime I may have to leave early and would like to be able to walk away and have the meeting close after 1 hour. I know there is the ability to have another host, but I am talking about a more automated solution.
- I would love to be able to integrate Zoom with Facebook events.
- I can now talk about discussions for the whole hour rather than wasting the first 15 to 30 minutes trying to minimize technical difficulties.
- I am able to turn the hosting over to someone else if I am busy on the day of the meeting.
- I can have reoccurring meetings set up so spend less time each week getting prepared.
In my field of work, we are often consulting with clients and sharing our screen to show an app and how it works. I can give QuickBooks lessons with my client and record them so my client can reference what we talked about later. Being able to record lessons is the main reason I recommend Zoom to colleagues.