<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring#question3' target='_blank' rel='nofollow noopener'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow noopener'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>Score 9.1 out of 100
Based on 92 reviews and ratings
- Chartbeat is rated higher in 3 areas: Likelihood to Recommend, Likelihood to Renew, Support Rating
- Matomo Analytics is rated higher in 1 area: Usability
Likelihood to Recommend
If you are looking for a tool that tracks traffic, content performance, author performance, and reader retention with a relatively simple interface and gleaming graphics then this is for you. Trickier things like report generation are made much more seamless now, and except for some friction in the sidebar navigation –– I find it to be a pretty flawless tool that I would recommend to friends or others in the media field. It's just a basic necessity to understand content these days, so Chartbeat is a great tool at that!
Matomo is a full-fledged website tracking and analytics tool. It offers everything and then a bit more that GA has to offer. I cannot conceive of any situation where this programme would be "less appropriate". You can use it for each and every website and do well with it. The data it provides includes everything you could wish for (country, IP, new user or not, actions taken, goals achieved etc.)
- Provides easy at-a-glance look at what people are reading right now
- Heads-up Display allows you to make sure the homepage is showing the content people want to read
- Headline testing tool provides fascinating insight into what makes people read a story and improves headline-writing ability
Professional in OtherNewspapers Company, 1001-5000 employees
- One of Piwik's strengths is the provision of customizable widgets for different bits of analytics data. The ability to add and remove them, change dates and more makes this a flexible way to visualize data.
- The visitor log section is also rich, providing date, keywords, actions and more in a single table, which makes it easy to identify your most effective content.
- And the visitor actions table includes both bounce rate and time on site, so you can quickly tell which pages have the most engagement.
- Data display is a strength for Piwik, as you have access to overview charts while simultaneously being able to drill deeper.
- Source of traffic needs improvement. Search and social make sense, but "internal" and "links" is a grey area. It would be helpful to define those with an organization and provide an information icon so users can easily remember what each of those buckets is tracking.
- More ways to customize the real-time board. For example, with video content, that's great that I can see a user has started a video, but what is the completion rate, was that only on O&O or can that track Facebook, too?
- Would like to see demo (age) information included as a way to slice the data so I can see what's working with my older and younger demo.
Director in OtherPublishing Company, 1001-5000 employees
- From a user security standpoint it would be useful to provide users the ability to have two-factor authentication. While stats data is not necessarily sensitive in aggregate, some users may feel that certain portions need to be more secure.
- It would be nice if there was a tighter integration with the Google search/referrer API so that "keyword not defined" would be replaced more often with the actual keyword that is being used to send a visitor to a site.
- An easier branding method, maybe in the form of an API function set, that pulled branding URLs from a set of database fields would be great as well.
Engineer in Information TechnologyHigher Education Company, 201-500 employees
Premium Consulting/Integration Services—
Entry-level set up fee?
Chartbeat Editions & Modules
Additional Pricing Details—
Premium Consulting/Integration Services
Entry-level set up fee?
Matomo Analytics Editions & Modules
|Free download (open source)||$0|
|Content Optimization Bundle||$5792|
|Email Support Subscription||$2,0902|
- per installation
|Free 30 day trial||$03|
- number of pageviews (monthly traffic)
- your requirements and monthly traffic
- limited to 30 days
Additional Pricing DetailsOn-premise Edition is free to download and install on one's own servers.
Likelihood to Renew
Based on 5 answers
I gave Chartbeat a 5 for a renewal rating, because, while it delivers clear and understandable content, Google Analytics also provides many of the same features for free. For a small to medium website, I believe it would be more cost effective to use Google Analytics. A website with a high amount of traffic, however, could merit spending the money on Chartbeat to maximize their potential.
Contributor in OtherWriting and Editing Company, 1-10 employees
Matomo Analytics 8.7
Based on 13 answers
At this point, there is not a single conceivable reason as to why we would not renew and continue to use Piwik Analytics. Especially since it is a free program and open source. The product will only get better over time as more people look into it and donate to cause so that development can continue.
Based on 45 answers
It's easy to use and understand, which can't be said for all data-tracking sites that I've used in the past. It's easy for me to navigate and I didn't need to Google anything in order to find what I needed
Team Lead in OtherMedia Production Company, 1-10 employees
Matomo Analytics 9.0
Based on 3 answers
Based on 11 answers
I have had limited experience of support for Chartbeat but whenever I have needed help it has been there. Recently there was an issue of seeing different forms of data in real time - app and otherwise effectively, and the issue was being clearly dealt with and communicated back to us.
Matomo Analytics 7.3
Based on 6 answers
The best thing about the Matomo support is that they have a forum which basically you can find the answer to almost all of your questions and most of the time you don't need to contact them regarding your questions and problems but if you need help they will answer in a reasonable time slots.
No answers yet
No answers on this topic
Matomo Analytics 9.0
Based on 2 answers
Chartbeat really remains the gold standard in the tracking, measurement and display of realtime engagement metrics. If your site has sufficient audience benefit from immediate changes in content programming, display and design, it's a great tool with a highly refined and intuitive user experience. Plus, it's API allows for broad integration.
With Matomo Analytics you have total control of your platform, whereas with Google Analytics you never know how they'll be using your data. Being an open source platform allows you to build plugins and themes for this great platform. Some of the users have already build some plugins freely available and some are commercial.
Return on Investment
- I do not have access to the financial arrangements in place, but I would view Chartbeat as a key tool for the company with significant advantages over other analytical software.
- Continued enhancement of the product, for instance picture previewer, would provide additional value to the service.
Professional in OtherOnline Media Company, 5001-10,000 employees
- We can see the analytics of our web applications and thus having the insight of the systems' behavior.
- It helps in improving the performance and scalability of our web application.
- It helps us improve the user experience on our sites; seeing the user's activity we can take decisions to make it better.
- A cost-effective tool, since it is free.