Give me a (Chart) beat!

July 27, 2021

Chartbeat continues to deliver

A very useful tool

July 16, 2021
Chartbeat is used by our whole organisation to track page views and find out which articles are performing well across our news sites.

Reviewer Sentiment

Positive ()
Negative ()
Learn how we calculate reviewer sentiment

TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2022
TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2021
TrustRadius Best of Award, Best Of Usability 2021

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Chartbeat, and make your voice heard!

What is Chartbeat?

Chartbeat provides real-time web analytics, but is specifically designed for magazine and newspaper publishers making the switch from print to digital. The product tracks where traffic is coming from and helps maximize traffic and engagement.

9 people want pricing too

What is Parse.ly?

Parse.ly is a content optimization platform for online publishers. It provides in-depth analytics and helps maximize the performance of the digital content. It features a dashboard geared for editorial and business staff and an API that can be used by a product team to create personalized or…

What is Google Analytics?

Google Analytics is perhaps the best-known web analytics product and, as a free product, it has massive adoption. Although it lacks some enterprise-level features compared to its competitors in the space, the launch of the paid Google Analytics Premium edition seems likely to close the gap.

What is Chartbeat?

Chartbeat, a content intelligence platform for publishers, empowers media companies to build loyal audiences with real-time and historical editorial analytics across desktop, social, and mobile platforms. Chartbeat helps digital publishing organizations understand what, within their content, is keeping people engaged.

The vendor boasts Partnering with over 60,000 media brands across 70+ countries, Chartbeat’s real-time and historical dashboards, in-depth headline testing and in-page optimization tools, and robust reporting, to help the world’s leading media organizations understand, measure, and build business value from the attention earned by their written and video content. Chartbeat offers a Mobile app, Slack integration, spike alerts, and flexible API, so that users can always be ready to take action with data at their fingertips.

Chartbeat Features

• Supported: Real-time and historical analytics dashboards
  • Supported: Headline Testing
  • Supported: Image Testing
  • Supported: Reporting Tools
  • Supported: Raw Data Pipeline

Chartbeat Screenshots

Big Board: A favorite in newsrooms all over the world, our leaderboard-style visualization shows your top stories on your biggest, baddest screen.Real-time dashboard: Understand how your audience is connecting with your content in the moment – across platforms, channels, and devices – so you can act to optimize when trends happen.Historical Dashboard: Intuitively assess content performance, KPIs, and valuable trends over the long term.Heads Up Display: Know which homepage articles are your top performers, how stories are trending up or down in traffic, and how far visitors are scrolling down the page. Adapt the user experience accordingly, all in your normal workflow.Video Dashboard: Grasp how your video content captures viewer attention so you can capitalize on distribution opportunities.

Chartbeat Downloadables

Chartbeat Competitors

Chartbeat Technical Details

Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android
Supported CountriesAll

What is Chartbeat?

What is Chartbeat's best feature?

Reviewers rate Usability highest, with a score of 8.7.

Who uses Chartbeat?

The most common users of Chartbeat are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees) and the Online Media industry.

Luisana Pacheco | TrustRadius Reviewer
Thanks to this software we have considerably improved the traffic on our website, improving the content we publish, attracting more audience. It has functions such as web page analysis, which tells us the visitors, what the users saw more of the page, the time they took, and all in real-time.
  • It has an analysis of published content, which allows us to see what are the contents that have captured more audiences across the page, replicate those topics and generate more traffic.
  • We can index our website in the software and see the articles that have had more interaction, those that are on the rise and those that are in decline, and the behavior of users within our website.
  • Videos are also monitored by this software and we can easily monitor the reach of the videos uploaded on our platform.
  • I would like its mobile version to be as extensive as the web version, so I could use the software anywhere without limitations.
  • It would also be great if they would alert me when the numbers and trends of the page are down, so I can take the foresight and make corrections.
  • They could make their interface a little less overwhelming so that only the requested data would be visible on the screen and not all the data at once.
We recommend this software to all companies that have a website and want to get the most out of it, attracting the public and building audience loyalty. A tool that will help them to improve their web content and therefore position themselves in the first places of the search engines.
It analysis the content of the page, through the analysis of historical data or in real-time.
It allows to visualize the company's web page and to know the behavior of users on the home page, the time spent on each article, and which is the most viewed.
I currently use Chartbeat to monitor which fundraisers people are currently viewing. Chartbeat allows us to stay on top of the fundraisers that have the highest number of eyes on them in real-time, which helps us stay on top of breaking stories on the site. By knowing the top fundraisers, we are able to get fundraiser organizers' help faster.
  • Provides real-time information.
  • Allows you to see the number of people on a page.
  • Simple to use.
  • It would be nice to be able to freeze a page to capture the data.
  • The ability to sort by state would be helpful.
  • Having a chat agent available for questions or help in real-time would be nice.
I can only speak to how Chartbeat is well suited since I am unaware of all the different scenarios where it wouldn't work well. In my case, my job is to share fundraisers with news outlets in order to get the fundraiser organizer's help and support in their efforts. Chartbeat allows me to see the trending fundraisers in real-time. This is helpful because more often than not when a lot of people are looking at a fundraiser, it's usually because of a recent news event.
Chartbeat is easy to use and efficient. The real-time data is invaluable in the work that I do and there's not much that I would say needs to be improved upon.
Chartbeat is essential for tracking my and my colleagues' article performance, user retention, and source of visitation (where readers came from whether it's social media, Google search, etc.). The big board is a quick reference tool for viewing this type of information, but I also really like the historical feature that lets me peer back at past content, see what was trending and why. It gives me a chance to plan ahead based on that feedback!
  • Gives you a quick overview of on-site traffic and content performance.
  • Lets you generate in-depth reports.
  • Auto-email features for sending yourself reports.
  • Shows you where your readers came from!
  • Jumping in and out of historical pages is sometimes fussy.
  • Don't like the friction of sidebar navigation.
  • Some features seem either unnecessary or complicated.
  • Simple is best! Graphics are very pleasing.
If you are looking for a tool that tracks traffic, content performance, author performance, and reader retention with a relatively simple interface and gleaming graphics then this is for you. Trickier things like report generation are made much more seamless now, and except for some friction in the sidebar navigation –– I find it to be a pretty flawless tool that I would recommend to friends or others in the media field. It's just a basic necessity to understand content these days, so Chartbeat is a great tool at that!
Having access to real-time audience data with zero lag is an essential feature and one of the highlights of Chartbeat. With this component, I am able to adjust articles in real-time (ex: adding imagery, breaking apart blocky text paragraphs, or editing SEO headlines) to further bump up my story on the big board. More story views plus longer reader time means everyone is happy!
Chartbeat is really pretty straightforward. The only things that may cause confusion are the string of sidebar features and tools at the left of the screen. I mostly use the big leader board in real-time and the historical feature (looking at the monthly or weekly performance of my team's content) and then generate reports automatically from there.
Kim Kay | TrustRadius Reviewer
Chartbeat offers the best real-time page view and unique browser tracking. It's an excellent tool to track the impact a story is having on social media. The best way to use it is to always use it. Have it open all the time to track stories and make sure you placed them in the right place on your website for maximum impact.
  • Real-time tracking
  • Social media impact
  • Headline testing
  • More mobile options
If you run a website you need Chartbeat. More responsive in tracking real-time concurrents and pavevies than GA
It's the best. You are able to see what users are reading to the second. It helps move stories around on your site to make sure the story doing well gets more prominence.
Very easy to use. All you need to do is look at it. Even if you never click a single button you will at least know who is reading what at a glance
November 10, 2021

Give me a (Chart) beat!

My team uses it to gauge what users are reading and how to rank stories on our website. Chartbeat is displayed prominently in our newsroom so all can see it, although only the digital team has individual logins. Chartbeat helps us deliver page views and follow-up on stories generating interest. It also displays referrals, allowing us to see where traffic is coming from.
  • See in real-time which stories are performing well.
  • A/B headline tests allow my team to deliver the best entry to our stories.
  • See referrals, letting us cater stories to sites.
  • Clear definitions of what every link on Chartbeat means.
  • Referrers on mobile app is limited compared to desktop.
  • Ability to compare more than a month out.
I use Chartbeat daily and instruct my team to do the same. For "hot" stories, I have my team test headlines to provide the best product to our users. We track new sites that are linking to us to see if we can deliver stories to them in an ongoing fashion.
The real-time data allows us to manage our site on the fly, giving more users stories of interest as they're developing. It's key to stay on top of things in the breaking news cycle that we live in.
Chartbeat is one of the easiest tools to use, and there are MANY in the digital world.
We used Chartbeat to see what was doing well on social media platforms and our website in order to better curate content that will be interesting to our listeners and followers. It gave us a great understanding of what trends our followers were interesting in and helped curate our choices.
  • It's helpful in showing what content is doing well
  • What content is popular among readers you can follow up
  • How the website is doing so that I can better organize the homepage
  • Being able to see social media on various pages the story is shared on
Chartbeat is great for getting a sense of what our readers and listeners are interested in so that our content curation can be as specific as possible. It would be really helpful if I was able to see the various pages the story was posted on.
We get to up our monthly listener rate because I can see what posts our listeners interact with the most and act accordingly which has made our listeners feel heard and valued and important to the content curating process.
It's easy to use and understand, which can't be said for all data-tracking sites that I've used in the past. It's easy for me to navigate and I didn't need to Google anything in order to find what I needed.
Our company uses Chartbeat to track trending online content that will translate to our other departments' use of promoting those stories or not.
  • How many people are viewing a certain story
  • Which stories we could follow up on
  • What stories do well within the communities we serve
  • Search function could be better at finding prior stories
  • Seeing the specific social interactions a story is having
I think Chartbeat works great at signaling what stories could be followed up on or what stories would be good to send out in a push alert if they're already doing well on social media. It is also great to see what stories continue to do well to continue pursuing that type of content.
It's fantastic to know what our readers are interacting with at a certain time, or what story is getting traction to open avenues to further story digging. It also allows us to step up promotion or post it more to get more traffic.
It's simple and easy to use as well as view statistics we need to use for traffic and growth. It is a great tool to also see which stories we could beef up if it's getting a lot of readers.
We use Chartbeat across the editorial departments in our organisation to track performance of pages on our website in Real-Time, along with the Heads-Up Display to manage the homepage, and the headline and image testing tools.
  • Provides easy at-a-glance look at what people are reading right now
  • Heads-up Display allows you to make sure the homepage is showing the content people want to read
  • Headline testing tool provides fascinating insight into what makes people read a story and improves headline-writing ability
  • The 'Historical' tool has limited functionality for breaking down results (e.g. by specific referrer)
  • Some of the data available in Real-Time is not easily available to look back on (e.g. Heads-Up Display) to see how a story performed in different positions
  • 'Click-through rates' reported in Headline Testing results don't seem to tally with what would be an intuitive definition (clicks divided by views)
It is invaluable for at-a-glance and real-time measurement of performance, and for spotting spikes or trends quickly.
It ensures we can react quickly to any stories which are attracting particular interest, and we can also look at individual articles and pages to see if there is a point where people are leaving the page, and which links they are clicking on, to ensure we are maximising every visit.
The basic Real-Time and Historical displays are very simple to use. The Advanced Queries option takes a bit more getting used to and some of the numbers in the Heads-Up Display needed to be interpreted with caution. Headline Testing is very straightforward. Image Testing is fairly simple, although would benefit from an option to automatically resize images.
We use Chartbeat across the company to track user engagement on our news website. We use Chartbeat to track the performance of pages and the traffic that it attracts to better customise our product for our users.
  • Analysis of user engagement and use retention on websites.
  • Tracking of the performance of a specific page or a section or the website as a whole.
  • Take informed decision based on the viewing trends and social media engagement by users.
  • Could have an option to compare traffic from competitor websites.
  • The pageviews data is only available for that day. Could have historical total pageviews data.
  • Options to track engagement of a link on Twitter, too.
Chartbeat is well suited to map the unique traffic and re-circulation to a specific page and its real-time performance as far as user engagement is concerned.
We have benefitted from Chartbeat in the sense that we could take informed decisions and customise our approach towards content that users might want to engage more with.
It is user friendly and has most of the features that give an insight into user engagement.
We use Chartbeat at WKMG to track user engagement on stories on ClickOrlando.com, test headlines on the homepage, and make decisions on website arrangements.
  • Headline AB testing: To improve our headline writing.
  • User engagement: To determine what stories we should promote.
  • More data on user engagement: More details on where they are finding our stories/links.
Chartbeat is a good tool for media/journalists to track how articles are found online and what works well on the homepage.
It helps us determine what types of stories we should pursue in the future.
It's easy to use but I have been using it for years and don't see much change overall.
We track current web users and what stories are trending on our website. Mainly used by the website department but the whole newsroom has access. Our reporters and journalists like to check the success of their own stories. In our morning editorial meeting, Chartbeat data is used to see if any trending web stories should turn into that day's TV package or should there be a follow-up from the day prior.
  • Shows where social traffic is coming from and specifically each Facebook page.
  • Shows where all story traffic is coming from
  • Sends an email alert when there's a spike on a story
  • Headline testing
  • Daily graphs of traffic broken down by traffic source
  • Doesn't always compare accurately with Google
  • Link off to story directly from real-time dashboard instead of having to click into that story to then get direct link
  • On the 7 day graph view I would like to also see that days rolling total of pageviews and uniques instead of just on the today graph view
Great use among web team to monitor daily story views throughout the day to know if some stories on our site should be highlighted higher up on the home page due to them gathering a lot of attention.
We're able to adjust story placement on the site based off user popularity. We also sometimes include certain stories in newsletters or in push alerts based off of seeing the real-time success in Chartbeat.
I think there's a lot of things that it does that I just don't know about.
July 27, 2021

Decent

I use it to track analytics of editorial content that is published on the website. It is being used across the department, and is likely also being used across the entire organisation. It helps me and other writers target content and see which is performing well, and which is performing badly, as well as social media insights.
  • Visualisations are good.
  • It tells when something has picked up on social media.
  • Good tracking across the day.
  • Search could be better.
  • Analysis over time needs improvement.
  • More social media insights from other platforms.
Chartbeat is useful for a general overview of how well content is doing across platforms, but it would be better to get more insight into the social media platforms - for example who is sharing content on Twitter - as well as a better search functionality for authors. The mobile app could also be improved, as it is difficult to search for a specific author.
Being able to see when website visitors interact with content in the moment is helpful because I can use that data to then refresh the content when it is performing badly, or provide supplementary content when it is doing well. This means that the benefits of one good article can often lead to benefits for other articles, which I would otherwise not be able to track.
Chartbeat is fine for a general overview but it could be improved with more features, such as better social media implementation, and its mobile apps could also be developed better. It is hard to use on both iOS and Android, and when you are away from your desk that makes it challenging to keep track of what stories are or aren't successful.
Each brand uses Chartbeat, but I can only speak to how my brand uses it specifically. Everyone on editorial and social has Chartbeat open all day long to see what's working and where we can tweak headlines to help get more eyeballs on those stories. We especially love the big board where we can see all the content performing at one time and historically when we've been in the office, I cast it to the large TVs above our desks.
  • Real-time data - to see what our audience is engaging with to help inform future stories.
  • Having a clear and modern version of what a return visitor is (using your 5-second tracker); this is important because it gives us a clear understanding of who is reading our content and for how long—it helps us define our loyalists and discoverers.
  • Easy snapshot of referrers to see where traffic is coming from.
  • Source of traffic needs improvement. Search and social make sense, but "internal" and "links" is a grey area. It would be helpful to define those with an organization and provide an information icon so users can easily remember what each of those buckets is tracking.
  • More ways to customize the real-time board. For example, with video content, that's great that I can see a user has started a video, but what is the completion rate, was that only on O&O or can that track Facebook, too?
  • Would like to see demo (age) information included as a way to slice the data so I can see what's working with my older and younger demo.
This provides a great snapshot as to what's working at any giving moment. I've always liked how easy Chartbeat's interface is to use and makes it fairly easy to click around to find new pieces of data. I also really love the headline testing on our homepage so we can see real-time how slight changes to word can help a story take off.
This is such a critical feature because it has helped in so many ways. First, we can see what's working at any given moment and therefore have a sense of what's trending. Secondly, we can see what to put money behind. If something is taking off on social, we can boost it and capture new audience, but if something is taking off on newsletter we can try to promote it on social to see if we can't make that piece of content go viral. Lastly, we can see where to go in and add affiliate or related links quickly if we feel that the story is lacking.
It really is super easy to use. I feel like the engineers spent equal amounts of time on creating a tool that captures and splices data and on the user interface and how someone will interact with every link. Oftentimes, you don't get that—engineers often forget that their end user isn't a data scientist or a software engineer so using a tool they built needs to be easy to navigate.
Used to track performance of our articles within sections of our digital platforms. Helps us clarify what specific headlines work to draw readers in, and in general, Chartbeat is an incredibly useful tool. The entire organization is using Chartbeat and it provides my colleagues with equally useful data to help guide the decision-making process that takes place every day.
  • Instant data/feedback for how stories are performing.
  • Instant data/feedback for how headlines are performing.
  • Helps us decide which stories work depending on time of day/what regions of the world are awake.
  • Deeper dive on what regions of countries are reading a story.
  • The historical tool doesn't work as quickly as I would like it to.
  • At times, can seem not particularly user-friendly.
Headlines is the best example: If the story is being covered by most/all of our competitors, it is absolutely crucial to get the headline right. The efficient ways that Chartbeat works means that testing different headlines will pay instant dividends with Chartbeat's data indicating what is resonating (or not) with the audience.
Across the board, I find Chartbeat incredibly useful and helpful.

A very useful tool

• Shows the number of people reading the page.
  • Shows historic page views.
  • Shows whether a story has been picked up on social media.
  • It would be useful to find out how headlines could help stories be picked up by social media.
It is a great tool to find out which stories are performing well. It is not as useful for finding out why an article has been well received, i.e., merits of the story compared with social media pick up.
Allows us to find out which stories can be shared across multiple sites and how likely they are to have good page views.
Simple to use.
We use it across the editorial team to track all our content and pageviews.
  • Showing social pages (Facebook, Reddit, Twitter) where content is linked.
  • Predicting which pages will rise or drop views.
  • Desktop display showing where people click and with quick summary on the page.
  • Better historical views/reports.
  • Better sorting by different types of metrics.
  • Smoother integration with Apple News data.
It's great for a homepage and for individual authors to track which of their stories are doing well. Also the source of traffic helps show how effective SEO or social media pushes are doing.
We are able to launch real-time social campaigns that coincide with rising stories.
The desktop display is helpful once you set it up, which can be difficult. Looking up more specific stats isn't as intuitive. But overall overviews are very clear and accessible. I wish the mobile app had as much detail as desktop.

You NEED Chartbeat

Chartbeat helps you better understand website and content analytics by directly showing you real-time data of pages and stories that are doing well. Their headline testing is unmatched. If you want to improve your analytics, choose Chartbeat.
  • Headline testing.
  • Analytics readings.
  • Real time data.
  • More detailed reports.
  • More options for segmenting.
  • Specific audience data.
News Production
YES. We would be lost without this feature.
It has a very user-friendly interface that is easy to track.
Chartbeat is being used mostly by my department (Editorial). It is not being used across all of ABC News. We use it to judge what news articles on our website are doing well and to determine future articles based on success.
  • Track success of certain articles.
  • Track where the articles are doing well (social, search, etc.).
  • Track articles that are being alerted to users and noticing spikes in traffic.
  • Needs better historic traffic data.
  • Disappointed it got rid of tweets sending traffic.
  • Has some confusion between videos and articles being alerted.
Chartbeat is the best live traffic tool on the market and would definitely recommend anyone in online news use it as a tool to see what articles are doing well at any given moment. It's great for tracking spikes in traffic and seeing where they are coming from. It's not particularly well-suited for tracking historic trends in traffic, but for live traffic it is the best in the industry.
It is very helpful in determining what stories we should continue to update and stay on top of versus stories that are not performing well and we shouldn't sink resources into. It also shows us what stories we should do sidebars and follow-up stories on in order to capitalize on the traffic of stories that are performing well.
It is very easy to use for the most part. Historic data is questionable.
Chartbeat is used by nearly every property in my organization to track visits to various sites in real time. We use it for understanding search and social trends, track performance and compare against prior performance.

This is instrumental to our edit teams for timing on follow up assets and updates.
  • Real-time traffic analysis.
  • Segmentation by acquisition traffic and other demographics.
  • Visualization of data.
  • Understanding custom variables for custom channels.
  • Better understanding of URL vs. Canonical URL.
  • Finding a better caching balance for page meta data.
Anyone who needs to know real-time metrics on website visitors needs Chartbeat. This most certainly includes publishers. But campaign managers can certainly use it as well. The "big board" feature is great for displaying in hallways and meeting rooms to remind other members of the teams that people visit your site, sometimes in quite large numbers.
Timing is everything in digital publishing. Chartbeat enables us to see the trends, see when we start declining in traffic from various channels to produce social updates or additional search signals to boost our volume in those respective channels.

Additionally, we can see prior week's trends. This is particularly important for comparing week-over-week tentpole event coverage.
It's fairly intuitive. Most people can see the numbers, the color and other visualizations and quickly understand what's going on. Some of the drill-down stuff can be daunting for analytics novices.

The setup requires a bit of technical know-how. Some features, like basing the title on the canonical are not always accurate.
I use Chartbeat to monitor traffic on our website in real time. I also use it to monitor recirculation on site, check referrers and to get a general overview of the website at a glance. I occasionally use the historical data to get a longer term view of our data and trends.
  • Showing real-time data by referrer.
  • Showing social posts which have linked to stories.
  • Showing live recirculation data.
  • Historical data could be more advanced and specific.
Chartbeat is really good to get a general data overview at any point in the day - and to show us where stories may be worth pursuing further because they are of great interest to the audience.
We can react much quicker to trends and learn new things about our audiences every day.
Really clear and easy to use.
The entire organization is using Chartbeat. Chartbeat helps to understand the interest of online readers. Chartbeat has also proved to be very helpful in the growth of users, as the number of readers present on any story is available live through Chartbeat.
  • Track time spend.
  • Track traffic sources.
  • Comparison of different headlines.
  • It has difficulty tracking monthly total users, specifically section-wise.
Chartbeat is easy to use and has good efficiency.
We have created new similar stories for best performing stories.
It helps to track users very simply, without need of any extra effort.
We use Chartbeat across our network, both at the local and national level, to give use real-time results for which stories are driving high engagement. The real-time results give us an effective birds-eye view of where we should be devoting more resources, or, in the instance of low engagement, less.
  • Real-time results give you a great glimpse at which stories are driving engagement.
  • The referrer traffic indicators allow you to track who's sending you traffic and how much, which affords you an opportunity to tweak your messaging on specific social media platforms, if necessary, or double down where appropriate.
  • Being able to view results across an entire network or drill down on a specific market is highly useful, especially when tracking engagement for a single story.
  • There are times when Chartbeat is buggy when selecting a specific section in real-time results.
  • I miss the feature that showed you which specific tweets were delivering high engagement. It added a level of personal touch that's hard to replicate without it.
  • It would be nice to be able to drill down on specific markets (sections) for video views. Currently you can only track video views across an entire network.
Outside the purview of digital media (editorial/journalism/social media), I can't imagine a scenario where Chartbeat would be very useful. If a colleague in this field were looking for a tool to better track results in real time, Chartbeat would be the first tool recommended. But it's still necessary to supplement with Google Analytics.
From a user standpoint, Chartbeat helps identify wasted energy, which is a highly useful endeavor. If a two-minute video embedded in an article is getting the same engagement as a 10-minute video, there's no reason to waste the extra time needed to edit a 10-minute video when two will do.
The best part about Chartbeat is how intuitive it is. You really don't need to explain to someone how it works; just plop them down in front of it and let them poke around. They'll quickly get a feel for how it works and how it can be used to streamline their day.
It is being used by our web department in our newsroom. It's also displayed on a TV in the newsroom for others to see which stories are doing best on our website, which helps our managers decide what stories our reporters will be assigned for TV.
  • Chartbeat tells where the attention our stories is getting is coming from, letting us know which distribution methods are most effective for our audience and where we should invest the most time and energy.
  • Chartbeat tells us how many users are watching video on each story, which shows that having video on a story might make them spend more time on that piece of content and forces us to come up with more creative items for them to consume.
  • It tracks data in real time, something that's important in news when you have to make decisions in a fast-paced setting.
  • I wish Chartbeat had more detailed trend data, like which type of user is viewing what kind of content and for how long.
  • Sometimes I see that users are watching video on a story and that story doesn't even have a video on it, so I'm not sure what causes that. I'm sure that's just a user error.
  • I wish Chartbeat could gather the data and spit out recommendations based on trends it finds.
Chartbeat is great in news settings because it updates and tracks info in real time, which is incredibly useful in a newsroom where every situation is fluid. It's less appropriate for newsletters and other projects that you're looking for more long-term data on, unless I've yet to figure out how to do that.
It's been extremely beneficial because in some cases, it helps us decide whether we'll continue to follow a story if we see a lot of people find news value in it, or decide to cover something else if we see not too many people are interested in it.
Overall, it's been a great resource in the building, as well as out because of its mobile capabilities.
Ariel Insua | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Chartbeat to know site performance in real time for each content section. Visually we can see what and how different things on the site are performing or not.
  • Velocity
  • Clarify different points of view
  • History information
  • Content
  • Redaction
  • Metrics
Real-time module is simple, clear, easy to read, and we know what content is performing and what is not. You don't need to be an expert to understand this module, and UI propose a big perspective of your sites to move on and change.
This is the best of Chartbeat. The realtime does [it] all easier. We can change and adapt our sites with hot information, and for us, this is so important. We can see the content performance in UI and interactions through the Chrome extension. This combination of different tools with different focuses gives us the power to understand the content in places of sites and how our visitors interact with all content.
Chartbeat is very easy to use, to modify some visuals and filter what kind of information you want to see. Most used for us is the realtime mode. In my opinion, Chartbeat must work on integrating functionalities, for example, if we want to combine more sites we need to use another solution.
January 05, 2021

Chartbeat Review

Chartbeat is used in the news division to understand what stories are performing well and to understand where our traffic is coming from.
  • I program the homepage, so I use the heads-up display to learn quickly which stories are hits with readers.
  • Spike alert notifications do the same as the above, with a wider range of traffic sources.
  • The Chartbeat real-time display includes lots of information in easy-to-understand graphic form.
  • Some referrer information is vague. For instance, I don't know what "deep links, push alerts" means on stories for which we have not created push alerts.
  • Chartbeat calculates page views in a way that's different from Google Analytics, so Chartbeat is less helpful for deeper analysis of story performance.
Well suited for real-time analytics of story performance; less well suited for historic traffic analysis.
When I see stories are getting clicks, I can move them to places on the homepage or our other platforms so that they can be seen by more readers.
I'd give it a 10, but I've had to explain to colleagues who are new (or even not new) to Chartbeat how to work their way around the dashboard. Small things, usually involving an accidental change to a different section or workspace.