ABAS is used company-wide in our business. We start with engineering as ABAS is connected to our design software for direct loading of bills of material. This creates work orders as well as purchase order suggestions in ABAS. From there we manage the purchasing process and the work schedule through the system. We are able to see the status of component deliveries as well as what work orders we can begin working on.
As these functions are processed, the financial transactions are processed automatically to capture the cost of goods sold. Once the job ships, we can assist our customers via the service module that contains all of the details from the build process.
Therefore, ABAS acts as the central station for all of our business transactions, internal and external. It provides us insight and visibility that we didn't have with "island" type software packages that are disconnected from one another.
- Flexibility. ABAS is fully customizable. This allows us to create a work environment that is as custom as we are. Some ERP software packages force you to adopt their methods. With ABAS we can build the system the way we want it to work.
- Adaptable. ABAS has the ability to work with other software packages and provide a seamless connection. We use Solid Works for our engineering designs. ABAS is connected to Solid Works and this eliminates transfer errors while reducing the time it takes for engineers to load bills of material.
- Service. ABAS has well-trained service technicians. The time it takes to get a response is minimal and the network of knowledge their support group has, helps to streamline any tasks we may present or questions we may have.
- ABAS is headquartered in Germany with a US based headquarters in Virginia. Some of the programming structures were based on European methods that differed somewhat from the way business is done in the US. ABAS-USA has worked to modify the system so that it is in tune with US business practices and has made great strides in this effort. For the average user, the structures may go unnoticed, but for the more advanced user, some of the field names that are used for advanced reporting might be in German. However, ABAS-USA has recently been updating the programming language to be fully in English.
- Because ABAS is growing rapidly, more complex customizations might take longer to complete than normal. ABAS appears to be bringing on even more technicians to handle the increased workload so the concern is waning.