Brackets is a free and open source text editor developed at Adobe under the MIT license, featuring inline editing, live preview, and a wide range of extensions.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/Mk/dz/8T87WWLZ84DG.PNGBrackets contains all your coding needs in one simple editorWhile not used by the company as a whole, there are pockets of us that use this free code editor. I intially was using another product which was offered by the company, but eventually was removed as an offering. In speaking with another more experienced coder, he had suggested using Brackets. I downloaded the editor and have never looked back. When anyone comes to me for advice on editors to use, I let them know what is out there, but always guide them to Brackets.,The Live Preview feature is extremely helpful. You can make tweaks to your CSS and then see how it affects the pge you're coding. The recently added file tree feature is really a time saver. You can move files with a drop and drag feature without ever minimizing the program. One of my favorite features is the ability to update the core program with extensions. Some of the extensions are simple, like adding themes, while others are a offer a little more assistance like creating Lorem Ipsum text for you.,Since Brackets is an open source software, it is always improving. So if you feel it is lacking something, shortly thereafter it almost always appears in the next software release. While using extensions are at your own risk, I have sometimes found an extension that caused a problem. It was easily resolved by deleting the software and then reinstalling. Live Preview sometimes doesn't work for me. While most of the time it does, it almost always seems to not work when I need it to work the most.,10,As there is no cost to this open source software, the value you get from using it is immeciate. One way to give back, is to become a contributor to the software. They offer suggestions on whays to contribute like writing extenisons.,,Adobe Photoshop, CamtasiaBest for web developers, OK for everyone elseBrackets is used by me in my role managing my company website's codebase as well as some other websites that I run. I also use it for development of browser extensions for Firefox and Chrome. It is a very web-focused text editor that has a good number of useful plugins to extend functionality.,A clean simple UI with an excellent dark theme There are plenty of customization options and extensibility via plugins It is pretty fast and very smart when working with front-end website files The live preview mode is a nice feature when coding as part of a presentation The implementation of code-completion feels natural and effortless,It has some readability issues with the fonts being too small on my personal laptop. It isn't as powerful as some new competitors.,9,Brackets is free, so the ROI is really time-based. Brackets has saved me time in my web development over using a more simple text editor.,Notepad++ and Microsoft Visual Studio Code,IntelliJ IDEA, Notepad++, OneNoteBrackets is Great!Brackets is the best text and code editor around. We use it daily for fixing HTML and CSS and for opening any text/code files. The beautify.co plugin works very well for keeping to industry standards. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a full featured text editor for similar purposes.,Auto fill of code Auto formatting of code Easy to use GUI,More themes Have beautify.co built in Better previews,10,Saves time Saves rework in certain applicaitons Very easy to use,CoffeeCup HTML EditorA fast, lightweight code editorI use Brackets for quick code editing. It’s fast and works very well for what it’s intended to do, which is to write and edit code. It's my ‘go-to’ for any quick coding and editing.,Code-writing. Code-editing. General and advanced coding.,It doesn’t allow you to view multiple browsers, only Google Chrome. The shortcuts aren’t robust. Some ‘suggestions’ aren’t robust.,10,It’s a great return because it’s lightweight, easy to access, and allows for rapid editing. Faster production means less time which equals more money saved. Due to it’s limited testing ability (lack of browser support), it isn’t as effective for testing as, say, Dreamweaver for multi-browser testing.,Brackets- Happy FrontEnd Coding!We are a team of developers who use Brackets basically for our product development. The front end for the UI web development is handled quite easily using this source code editor tool. Now I see that it is majorly adopted across different department levels in our organization.,It is Cross-platform so it is available for Macros, Windows and Linux OS. It provides real time editing of HTML, CSS, and JS. Its open source and free..so it's obviously cost efficient. It has its own intelligence so the time and effort of writing long codes is reduced. It gives handy shortcuts like ctl/cmd+E( for colours selection). It has built-in JSLINT that checks JS code.,It lacks split-screen support. It doesn't provide full-screen mode support. Unlike some other HTML5 text editors, Brackets requires installation which is a kind of overhead for users who can directly link from the website.,9,Since it's open source it gives us positive returns on investments. Because of its ease of use along with its distinguishing features it makes coding simpler. Because of the above advantages, it helps reduce time and thus also saves a lot of money.,
Brackets

Brackets Reviews

Brackets
Filter 6 vetted Brackets reviews and ratings

William Ruthrauff profile photo
December 18, 2018

Review: "Brackets contains all your coding needs in one simple editor"

• The Live Preview feature is extremely helpful. You can make tweaks to your CSS and then see how it affects the pge you're coding.
  • The recently added file tree feature is really a time saver. You can move files with a drop and drag feature without ever minimizing the program.
  • One of my favorite features is the ability to update the core program with extensions. Some of the extensions are simple, like adding themes, while others are a offer a little more assistance like creating Lorem Ipsum text for you.
  • Since Brackets is an open source software, it is always improving. So if you feel it is lacking something, shortly thereafter it almost always appears in the next software release.
  • While using extensions are at your own risk, I have sometimes found an extension that caused a problem. It was easily resolved by deleting the software and then reinstalling.
  • Live Preview sometimes doesn't work for me. While most of the time it does, it almost always seems to not work when I need it to work the most.
When I'm designing a specific page, I can line up all the folders and files in the left File Tree panel. This keeps me organized and able to find things as I need them. Once I'm organized, I'm ready to start coding. Brackets allows you to control quite a bit of your environment, which contributes to your efficiency at coding in an effort free environment. One of the standard features of the color coding of tags really makes a difference. As I'm reviewing the code, generally I can quickly notice a missing </> or some other typo. Plus the color coding often helps you quickly find a particular line you need. And speaking of color, when you hover over a hexadecimal value in the code, a box pops up showing you the color of that code. This is particularly helpful when you have multiple colors and you want to make sure that your CSS is spot on.
Read William Ruthrauff's full review
James Pautz II profile photo
December 18, 2018

Brackets Review: "Best for web developers, OK for everyone else"

• A clean simple UI with an excellent dark theme
  • There are plenty of customization options and extensibility via plugins
  • It is pretty fast and very smart when working with front-end website files
  • The live preview mode is a nice feature when coding as part of a presentation
  • The implementation of code-completion feels natural and effortless
  • It has some readability issues with the fonts being too small on my personal laptop.
  • It isn't as powerful as some new competitors.
If you are just developing for the front end of the web, Brackets is a great option. It is cross-platform works well. If you rely on all the extras that an IDE gives you, Brackets probably won't satisfy you.
Read James Pautz II's full review
Reed Horanburg profile photo
December 17, 2018

User Review: "Brackets is Great!"

• Auto fill of code
  • Auto formatting of code
  • Easy to use GUI
  • More themes
  • Have beautify.co built in
  • Better previews
It works well as an editor replacement for SharePoint and other weaker intranet applications.
Read Reed Horanburg's full review
Dennis Hughett profile photo
December 28, 2018

Brackets Review: "A fast, lightweight code editor"

• Code-writing.
  • Code-editing.
  • General and advanced coding.
  • It doesn’t allow you to view multiple browsers, only Google Chrome.
  • The shortcuts aren’t robust.
  • Some ‘suggestions’ aren’t robust.
Best suited for quick editing. Not recommended for multiple browser testing. It only works with Google Chrome.
Read Dennis Hughett's full review
January 07, 2019

User Review: "Brackets- Happy FrontEnd Coding!"

• It is Cross-platform so it is available for Macros, Windows and Linux OS.
  • It provides real time editing of HTML, CSS, and JS.
  • Its open source and free..so it's obviously cost efficient.
  • It has its own intelligence so the time and effort of writing long codes is reduced.
  • It gives handy shortcuts like ctl/cmd+E( for colours selection).
  • It has built-in JSLINT that checks JS code.
  • It lacks split-screen support.
  • It doesn't provide full-screen mode support.
  • Unlike some other HTML5 text editors, Brackets requires installation which is a kind of overhead for users who can directly link from the website.
Brackets is hands down a great text editor tool for Front End Developers. Because it is free and open source it is useful in complex and large projects where budget allocation is huge. It contains a few features that make it stand out among text editors.

Brackets Scorecard Summary