Text Editors TrustMap
TrustMaps are two-dimensional charts that compare products based on trScore and research frequency by prospective buyers. Products must have 10 or more ratings to appear on this TrustMap.
What are Text Editors?
Text editors, or source code editors, allow developers and others to generate and edit text used by programs. Text editors are lightweight, flexible, and contain features to ease writing and manipulating code. This largely consists of making code easier to search and locate, shortcuts, and customizable UI. Text editors are universally highly extensible with plugins and extensions. Their usefulness as code editors is directly tied to the availability of these.
Features of Text Editors
Text editors provide the following features:
- Syntax highlighting to ease visually scanning text
- Formatting & table editing, similar to word processors
- Text folding (or code folding) to hide, reduce visible text on-screen
- WYSIWYG viewing, printing
- Editing in blocks or columns, multi-monitor split editing, inline editor
- UI themes to provide a more pleasant text editing environment
- Auto-complete for repeated words & functions
- Shortcuts to quickly navigate code
- In editor debugging
- Plugins & API, package ecosystem
- Other extensions (e.g. languages, UI, etc.)
Text editors are available free and open source. Paid editors are available for install on a per user or per machine basis. Paid editors offer more advanced API, some IDE like extensibility, and professional support.