BuildingConnected Reviews

Spencer Jabbia profile photo
BuildingConnection is a fabulous software that is utilized by our entire company. BuildingConnected streamlines the preconstruction process for bid invitations, communication, bidders status, document distribution, etc. There is no better software that we have used that comes even close to BuildingConnected. We utilized iSqFt for years (another bid solicitation software) and the usability of BuildingConnected compared to iSqFt is unbelievable. This software scales from small companies to top ENR contractors. Even the old computer illiterate will love this.
  • This software is FREE. However, it gets even better with the paid version.
  • Bid Solicitation. It reaches a larger number of subcontractors, and builds a subcontractor database to utilize for every job.
  • Prints reports that list all the bidders on a project and their bid status. This is great to print out before a bid to have contact information at the tip of your fingers.
  • Messaging is a great way to reach the entire project for Addenda, scope sheets, clarifications, etc.
  • It logs exactly when a subcontractor downloads and views the plans/specifications/etc.
  • It's super easy to invite new contractors and find subcontractors who are already "qualified" in BuildingConnected's database.
  • None
I have nothing but overwhelmingly positive things to say about BuildingConnected. It has completely changed the way we bid projects, reach out to subcontractors, and communicate all bidding about our projects.
Read Spencer Jabbia's full review
Sarah Garrett profile photo
Currently, we use BuildingConnected in our estimating department. We get invitations from our GC's when they have a project that they are inviting us to bid on. I like BuildingConnected because it clearly shows what jobs we are bidding on, if we have submitted a proposal, if we are late on the due date. It helps keep everything a little more organized.
  • Maps show where the project is.
  • Shows if you have submitted a proposal
  • Shows if you are late on submitting a proposal
  • BuildingConnected is clearly the leader for preconstruction software.
I really like how the interface of BuildingConnected is so user friendly. The look of the website is easy on the eye and makes it so that you don't miss any key points about a bid invitation that you might miss with other preconstruction software on the market today. Our company has considered using this for our vendors to make them more accountable about getting us quotes in a timely manner.
Read Sarah Garrett's full review
Stephen Fontana profile photo
We use BuildingConnected for our estimating department. Prior to BuildingConnected we were using the old email Rolodex and hoping for the best. BuildingConnected's user-friendly UI (User Interface), coupled with its massive database of contractors, made it incredibly easy to organize our pre-construction. Setting up a job is done now in a matter of minutes as opposed to hours. We get real-time information on what our sub-contractors are viewing, downloading, and what their bidding intent is. Communication is streamlined through a message board that is easy to navigate.
  • All of these features are dwarfed when you compare it to how incredible the customer service is. Real humans listen to every concern you have and actually make changes based on feedback. This is a fantastic program run by amazing people.
  • The clean user interface makes it easy to navigate to what you need in seconds.
  • Massive Sub-Contractor database makes it easy to expand your searches and coverage with ease.
  • Pre-qualifications. BuildingConnected has a TON of contractors and sometimes we get somebody on there that we don't personally know. Pre-qualifying them right through BuildingConnected means they can start working for us asap.
  • Some features are missing. Organizing subs by most used and an RFI log most notably.
If you need help organizing your bidding process, BuildingConnected is a must have. You get up to the second feedback from subs. BuildingConnected has increased our sub coverage tenfold.
Read Stephen Fontana's full review
Steve Cole profile photo
I use BuildingConnected to locate upcoming commercial construction opportunities for [my] company to bid on. I use BuildingConnected to download the plans and specifications so I can perform a take-off and get the project over to the estimator. It also lets me know if there is more than one bidder on the job. Also, another plus for me is it keeps my bid invites organized, and they also sync to my Microsoft Office Calendar. BuildingConnected makes my job easier, I wish everyone used it.
  • Keeps track of jobs bidding for me, on the website and my office calendar.
  • Allows me to download plans.
  • Keeps track of bidders on the job.
  • The only problem I have with BuildingConnected is you have to forward your bid invites to them one at a time, I would like it more if I could send them all at one time and they sort them out. When you get 50 invites a day it's time-consuming.
Everything BuildingConnected does is well suited for what I use it for. I don't even use half of all the stuff this program can do for you.
Read Steve Cole's full review
My company utilizes BuildingConnected for our bidding and budgeting processes. Our company functions such that all project manager personnel participate in the bidding and budgeting phase of work. The program allows us to communicate effectively not only externally, but also internally. It is the fundamental tool that we use for reaching out to subcontractors.
  • Invite subcontractors to price a project.
  • Share documents with subcontractors interested in pricing a project.
  • Keep and track internal notes of conversations so that the project team can coordinate responsibilities of communication.
  • Bid leveling capabilities so that we are comparing "apples to apples."
  • Making sure subcontractors' information in the system is complete and accurate.
  • Tracking the history of subcontractors responses to invitations company-wide.
  • Once a package has been published, you cannot go back and un-publish it.
BuildingConnected is great for inviting subcontractors to bid work and keeping all information related to the bidding process in one place. It is extremely effective for delegating roles and responsibilities to team members. The program allows users to make internal notes about conversations, eliminating the need to keep separate conversation tracking sheets. Users can distribute documents, receive and compare proposals all while keeping the history in the system. It is less suited for the construction or closeout phases of construction.
BuildingConnected is used on a regular basis by our Preconstruction Department in at least three of our office locations. It provides everyone in our department with a real-time update on what's going on with our bid lists as they all have the ability to log in and leave notes and/or read each other's notes during the bidding process. It also easily allows subcontractors to access project information.
  • BuildingConnected is very user-friendly. It's very hard to "get lost" in the system and is relatively easy for someone new to learn how to use.
  • BuildingConnected has an excellent support email set up. When I have sent an email asking them to help a subcontractor get logged in - the response rate is often very quick and typically they are able to effectively solve the issue.
  • Their web-based system is never down, at least not that I can remember. It makes me trust their system.
  • They are somewhat pushy with wanting companies to upgrade for their paid version. While some of the capabilities of their paid version are worthwhile, we have found that our office would not use most of the features and therefore it's hard for us to justify paying for the upgraded side.
  • The file system they have is overall very user-friendly, but if you happen to have a lot of files, it does not give you a count anywhere of how many files you've uploaded and so you still have to check and make sure everything has gone through successfully.
  • Their Subcontractor database is built based on companies, such as our ourselves, adding companies to it. What this means is that some locations around the United States have a lot of companies listed while some have next to none. There are also no private listings so once you add the name into the system, it's fair game for your competitors to find the same ones.
Depending on the project location, I would most likely suggest using the service. However, we will probably also need to use additional services alongside it. As of February 1, 2019, they will be changing their free version so that you will only be able to search a 100-mile radius from your own office location, so for companies who do work nationally, as we do, this is going to create a lot of problems.

BuildingConnected Scorecard Summary

Plan distribution & viewing (6)
10.0
Plan markups & sharing (3)
Issue tracking & punchlists (3)
Photo documentation (2)
Document sharing (6)
RFI tools (1)
Collaboration & approvals (1)
As-built drawings (1)
Cost databases (1)
Cost calculator (1)
Bid creation (5)

About BuildingConnected

BuildingConnected is an online preconstruction communications and bidding management platform. It heavily features a communications network and online database of and for general contractors, subcontractors, and owners. BuildingConnected is designed for functionality for each of these groups.

General contractors are offered bid management and comparison capabilities. BuildingConnected also supports historical cost and relationship tracking and real-time reporting for live projects. TradeTapp also assists with subcontractor prequalification processes.

BuildingConnected’s primary offering for subcontractors is an online Bid Board designed to enable full visibility and workflow within subcontractors’ organizations during the bidding process. The bid board features bid analytics, estimator performance tracking, and other reporting capabilities. It also allows for variable user permissions for data security purposes.

BuildingConnected provides real estate owners with access to its online network of general contractors and subcontractors. It also provides online bidding support.