Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure

Great VDI solution

January 21, 2019

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Oracle VDI, and make your voice heard!

What is Oracle VDI?

Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (Oracle VDI) is an enterprise level solution providing a virtual desktop environment for users within an organization.

1 person want pricing too

What is Amazon WorkSpaces (VDI)?

Amazon WorkSpaces is a managed, secure cloud desktop service. Amazon WorkSpaces removes the complexity in managing hardware inventory, OS versions and patches, and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI),

What is Red Hat Virtualization (RHV)?

Red Hat Virtualization (formerly Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, broadly known as RHEV) is an enterprise level server and desktop virtualization solution. Red Hat Virtualization also contains the functionality of Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization for Desktop in later editions of the platform.

Oracle VDI Competitors

• Red Hat Virtualization (RHV) (formerly RHEV)
  • Amazon WorkSpaces (VDI)
  • VMware Workstation Player (formerly VMware Player)

Oracle VDI Technical Details

What is Oracle VDI?

What is Oracle VDI's best feature?

Reviewers rate Performance highest, with a score of 7.

Who uses Oracle VDI?

The most common users of Oracle VDI are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees) and the Information Technology & Services industry.

My organization uses Oracle Virtual Desktop infrastructure across few departments. We use Oracle Virtual Desktop infrastructure in our organization as it has the capability to make desktop computers and workstations obsolete and makes virtually accessible all the remote desktops, servers, operating systems and laptops within my organization. With out Oracle Virtual Desktop infrastructure accessible all those devices remotely would not have been possible.
  • Making accessibility of servers, computers and operating systems remotely accessible.
  • Creating VMs to provide remote access.
  • integrates and communicates well between host and remote devices.
  • Communication between host and remote device is sometimes slower.
  • Provide better server redundancy in cases when a primary server fails.
  • Complexity for server side to manage high volumes of data from thin clients at server can be reduced.
Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure is well suited in environments where one wants to centrally manage all the users data on capable servers. These servers could be located in a highly secure premises protecting it from ransomware attacks and highly guarded and maintained round the clock by highly experienced server administrators and security experts. This way Oracle Virtual Desktop infrastructure avoids managing and installing anti-ransomware softwares on each and every clients' computers.
  • In-house
We were using Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure much more heavily last year, but we are now in the process of phasing it out to fully integrate VMware Horizon to our workflow. Our core software engineering team is using Oracle VDI to manage and access multiple virtualized desktop environments that are running on the same server rack.
  • Ease of Manageability. Accessing and managing multiple virtualized desktop environments is pretty straightforward.
  • Great Options for Keeping Track of Logins. Detailed reports of who has been logging into which environment are easy to configure.
  • File Systems Can Be Shared. You can set multiple desktop environments to be able to share data on the same file system.
  • Viewing reporting data and similar analytics in real-time is slow and laggy.
  • Occasional crash and regular freezing of the system. On a daily basis, we face freezing problems when accessing desktop environments, sometimes resulting in a complete crash of the software.
  • Cannot Maintain a Stable Connection for Extensive Periods of Time. Accessing desktop environments for short term periods works flawlessly most of the time, but when working on one for more than about 3-4 hours, we have frequently experienced connection drops.
Considering Oracle VDI is not supported by Oracle anymore, and will not receive any future updates, I wouldn't recommend Oracle VDI for most scenarios. Unless your organization is under some strict contractual agreement or there is a feature in Oracle VDI that isn't supported in its modern successors/competitors (haven't come across a feature like that based on my experience), I would recommend using something like VMware Horizon.
  • In-house
January 21, 2019

Great VDI solution

omar ghaznavi | TrustRadius Reviewer
While working for Florida State University we purchased the Oracle Virtual Desktop Infrastructure for managing, hosting and providing access to virtual desktop operating systems. These virtual desktop operating systems were hosted in our data center and could be accessed by faculty, staff as well as students to work on specific applications.
  • Providing desktop operating system virtualization is way more manageable using this Oracle suite.
  • It has a robust security infrastructure and provides great audit trails.
  • In our use of Oracle VDI, we have found there is a significant lag time when using the desktop environments through it, rather than the standalone virtual desktops.
  • Real time reporting and statistics can be improved as well.
For large and mid-sized organizations utilizing massive virtual desktop deployments, Oracle VDI offers great value. It supports a wide range of operating systems like Linux, Solaris, Windows etc.
Michael Timms | TrustRadius Reviewer
Before I started using VMware almost exclusively, I used Oracle VDI. My sole use was in building and maintaining images for Windows hosts. I would build my image on an Oracle virtual machine, and then capture it with FOG or something similar. I loved that I could access it from anywhere on the network, and make changes on the fly.
  • The user experience is great.
  • Remote access.
  • Rile sharing between desktops.
  • Frequent disconnects causing me to have to reboot my server.
  • Can be laggy at times.
  • Freezes regularly.
Oracle VDI will of course be well suited for any virtual environments like education, call centers, or business. I would not recommend it for any of those based on my experience with it, but I was one person using it with one task, and zero support. For an enterprise, I am sure that support is better.