Adobe CQ from the Perspective of a Software Developer

Adobe CQ from the Perspective of a Software Developer

Software Version

5.6.1

Overall Satisfaction with Adobe CQ

We have an in-house development team that develops custom implementations of Adobe CQ for our clients. It is one of many CMSs our company works with to support our customers.
  • Adobe CQ's biggest strength is allowing marketing departments at our clients to build out their website with minimal tech involvement (once an implementation is in place.) Marketing folks can create pages and arrange pieces on the page to build out a very professional and complex design without requiring a developer to deploy the update.
  • Adobe CQ is built on various open source platforms that make it possible to extend functionality in a lot of complex ways.
  • Adobe CQ also does a good job integrating with many of Adobe's other marketing products, which many clients find useful.
  • I've found that CQ isn't quite as stable as I'd expect an enterprise piece of software to be. There are a few out of the box components that are finnicky/fragile.
  • Supposedly this has been improved in the latest release (6.0), but up until 5.6.1 there were no true coding standards, so business logic could be found scattered all over in scriptlets and servlets. The scriplets would be part JSTL/Expression Language, part scriplet code. This is kind of a nitpick, but as a developer it definitely has an impact.
  • As a developer, this question is a little difficult to answer, but all of our clients have been pleased with flexibility an Adobe CQ implementation gives them. Marketing teams can really shine and control their web presence without relying on slow tech teams to support them.
I've done numerous implementations using WordPress (a free open source CMS that many medium sized companies are leveraging) and found that it's really awkward for non-technical users. Adobe CQ is a much more friendly piece of software for managing large and varied pieces of content. However, if you just want a corporate blog, WordPress will definitely fill your needs.
Adobe CQ is definitely for enterprise applications only. Even were the cost of licensing to be reduced, in many ways, it's overkill for smaller deployments. I've also found it to be inadequate for any eCommerce applications (and I think Adobe would agree with this in their sales literature.) That said, it's fantastic for a large corporation with a big marketing department managing large amounts of content.

Adobe Experience Manager Feature Ratings

API
Internationalization / multi-language
Role-based user permissions

Using Adobe CQ

I'll continue to use this product for many years. Adobe is making it clear they are taking customer feedback seriously and there continues to be growing demand for Adobe CQ implementations. As a developer, I find that there is still lots of room in this platform to try new techniques and really keep our implementations up to par with the latest standards.