Overall Satisfaction with Bitly
The marketing team has been using Bitly as a link shortener for use within social media posts for years. We did switch for a time to Google Shortener for awhile but with Google Shortener being discontinued, we've moved back to Bitly. Originally we probably used it to get around Twitter's character limit, although that's no longer relevant. However, being able to also track clicks and measure campaign performance later became more important. Also, there are a number of times when you need to share a link "offline" and being able to shorten a long link into a customized Bitly link that someone could remember is helpful.
- Very easy to use. Anyone with even limited tech knowledge would be able to begin using the service from day one.
- Managing and tracking links is very straightforward and offers you exactly what you need.
- Can use for free and even without signing in, so it's very open and available to everyone.
- Has been around long enough for it to be a trusted brand, so people feel secure in clicking on it.
- The free version doesn't allow for branding so you may have some customer confusion
- I sometimes suspect that it doesn't actually capture correct clicks; sometimes it feels like the data may be incorrect or missing.
- Has allowed us to share long/unwieldy URLs easily, both online and even offline
- Has allowed us customize long URLs for branding/easier sharing
- Has allowed us to track and measure marketing campaigns' success
We use Google Shortener for awhile, just due to the Google brand recognition and trust. However, they are discontinuing that service, so we have returned to Bitly. I feel the services both offer were very similar and I like both equally.
I chose Bitly years ago because it was one of the first URL shorteners available and initially was seen as the most reliable. Over time I've continued to use it because it fits my needs (which are minimal, admittedly) and out of habit and loyalty. I think it's perfect for small teams or even individuals as it provides a reliable service for free or low cost. I'm not familiar with their enterprise solutions so I can't speak to those tools and resources. It's a trusted brand that most moderately tech savvy people will recognize and trust.