Bitly

Bitly Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Amanda Akey | TrustRadius Reviewer
Bitly is being used by our Marketing & Communications department to shorten long format links into a branded link. This builds trust in our social media posts and also on print materials. Also, the analytics that are provided through Bitly allow us to see more data beyond our social media platforms about how that content is doing.
  • Branded link shortening
  • Analytics (clicks and referrals)
  • User friendly interface
  • Accessing billing information
This has been an extremely helpful tool for our social media, providing links that our community can trust. It has also helped with printed marketing materials providing easily remembered brand links for events and articles.
I use Bitly to shorten and customize links for our partners to promote our various products and events. It is used by the Operations and Marketing departments.
  • Easy to shorten links.
  • Easy to customize the back of links.
  • Easy to figure things out, mostly.
  • ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE. How do I get help from a human that can actually help? the "Chat" has never had someone available. The Sales person I spoke with had zero ability to help with my account. I have wasted so much time just trying to get in contact with someone at bit.ly.
  • Bit.ly does not manage redirects correctly and it seems like the most difficult thing in the world to get an accurate reading on the redirect links created through my account. I feel like I was robbed by bit.ly and no one wants to help or correct the matter.
Prior to this incident, I would have rated this as a 10. I work with business owners across the US (we have a current following of over 200K founders). The extreme lack of customer service and ability to receive accurate and timely help is just so disappointing. I feel like I am being taken advantage of -- Bitly takes your money at lightning speed but has no one to help with existing accounts. This is very, very bad business.
We use it to shorten links when sending SMS to save character length.
  • Link shortening
  • Reporting
  • Price structure
  • Is not competitive
It's great for shortening links when sending via SMS. It also has better reporting and admin mode than its competitors.
We use Bitly in our marketing department in order to track and report on marketing activities.
  • Easy to use platform.
  • Allows you to create as many varied links as needed.
  • Recognizable, trusted source.
  • Does not allow you to see results further back than three months.
  • Does not allow you to edit links once created.
  • No ability to organize links in folders.
Extremely helpful for our needs. We would be missing out on great reporting and analytics without it.
We use Bitly in our marketing department to measure engagement on social media and our website. Facebook and Instagram insights/analytics are great, but they're only part of the picture. Bitly has helped us to understand user behavior better. And this helps us to know what type of content to produce and share across our platforms.
  • Track links
  • Click stats
  • Custom link tales
  • Allows tags to help organize content
  • Integrates/links with other social media mgmt software (we use Zoho Social) so links are automatically shortened and synced with Bitly.
  • Haven't found any negatives yet
Bitly is great for shortening, customizing, and tracking links across digital media channels.
Good, but proactive suggestions/helps would make their support even better.
Ayo Bamgbose, Assoc CIPD, MSc | TrustRadius Reviewer
Bitly is known by many as a web tool to help shorten long and very unattractive URLs. For us, we use Bitly for that and so much more as it's a very unrated tool with a lot of special features. Some of the other features I love about using Bitly is the ability to customize the URL so that it's easier for clients to remember as well as being able to track click rates and gather insights and analytics.
  • Shorten and link branding: Bitly helps to turn long URLs into short ones that can also be customized to suit any business name.
  • Tracking and analytics: A great thing to be able to see the social media channels that visitors are clicking from and where they are in the world.
  • Integrations: Bitly integrates well with third-party tools to help improve workflow and tech tools.
  • Free plan: There are some great features on the paid plan but for those not yet ready to invest Bitly provides a great free option.
  • Restrictions: There are a few social platforms that do not accept Bitly links.
  • Limited integrations: Although it was a pro the lack of third-party integrations does have it's limitations.
  • Insights and Analytics: Only provides 30 days of reports which can be frustrating.
  • Unable to change: After customising the URL it is not possible to change the links.
Bitly is a great tool for small businesses looking to build their online presence and wanting to look as professional as possible and gather a few insights into where their main traffic is coming from.

For online businesses that primarily use social media platforms such as Pinterest, I would not recommend using Bitly as the links are seen as spam and therefore are not accepted.
Over the last 4 years of using Bitly, I have only ever had to contact support once. That experience was positive as I was able to get a response in a decent amount of time.

On the flip side, I really do wish that Bitly did a lot more email communication, in general, to keep in touch with their users. I've signed up for their newsletter and hardly ever receive emails or hear any new updates. This is my reason for giving them the ratings as it would just be nice to be kept in the loop in what Bitly has planned for the future.
Mark Anderson | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Bitly mainly for social media posts. It really helps with keeping the links smaller and pretty-ing up your posts. It's great to not have to look at that long URL that clogs up your character spacing. It assists with leading people to our site while concealing all of the letters and numbers in more complex URLs.
  • Creates a clean small link for oversized URLs.
  • It's very, very easy to transmute your link.
  • I can't believe some of the clicks tracked sometimes; it seems lower than expected.
  • More tracking analytics would be nice in the free version.
I always suggest people try 2-3 different platforms when searching for marketing tools, but if you need something free to simply shorten your links to make your social posts cleaner, Bitly is an excellent tool. If you happen to use Hootsuite or Google link shortener, this functions basically the same way, but faster.
I'm only providing a 5 because I really never needed any assistance from support. I guess you could say that's a plus!
Jim Nelson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Bitly links for link shortening on various websites we manage. It helps us easily created branded short links for sharing via social media. For example, we registered the tri.pet domain to use as the root for short links to long URLs of informative articles and discussion forum topics about pet amputation recovery for dogs and cats found on our tripawds.com website.
  • Link shortening
  • Shortlink branding
  • WordPress integration has had its faults on a few of our sites.
I recommend anyone use the free Bitly account features to create short links for sharing long URLs on social media and in email campaigns. For anyone interested in branding their short links, I suggest registering a relatively short domain and using Bitly to assign that as your default root URL. For tracking traffic, I still recommend referring to Google Analytics reports.
I have only had to request support from Bitly once in the many years we have used the service. Even when using the free account, we received a prompt response with thorough problem solving and follow up. Bitly also offers extensive support resources, documentation, and videos for self-help as needed.
Ben Caplan | TrustRadius Reviewer
At my current organization, we use Bitly to shorten links so we can drill down on the success of our marketing and advertising efforts to see which is the best and most successful. We include shortened links in our communications with customers so we can determine if they are clicking through to the proposal/file/etc. This program allows us to track the success of our efforts whereas before it was just a guess.
  • Link shortening with custom endings.
  • Geography and device specific data.
  • Detailed info on dates of link clicks.
  • Ease of use/setup.
  • Expanded info on link clicks such as duration of time spent on site.
  • Link sorting on the dashboard.
  • Expanded list of endings.
Bitly is great for times when you want to track the success of a link or a campaign of links. It might not be well suited if you want to set up a link for a one-off communication. It could work for these situations, but if you are sending a proposal, it's likely the customer is expecting it... so there might not be a need to shorten that link.
We like the functions of Bitly even on the free plan. There is indeed limited functions available on the free plan, but there is still a great level of benefit to any organization. The increased functions of the upgraded plan such as the dashboard, custom links, and many other benefits are well worth the added cost.
For our music media site, Bitly is crucial for being able to track downloads to let our clients and advertisers know click rates and such. We used to use an in-house script for download tracking and it was completely unreliable and possibly even a security risk. We have since completely shifted over to using Bitly as a solution.
  • Hosted links.
  • Short URLs.
  • Click count.
  • Custom URL notes.
  • I suppose it could offer more data for link tracking, but really, I'm pretty satisfied with it as-is.
I run a prominent, niche music media site, and Bitly has become crucial to us for being able to track downloads to let our clients and advertisers know click rates and such. We use it for tracking free (and legal) song downloads and for tracking our hosted banner ad links. It might be a less appropriate service if the Bitly web link might seem spammy to some.
For us, Bitly is a Godsend an an almost perfect solution. I have no complaints and would recommend them to almost anyone. I guess I would hold back from a 10/10 because short URLs can sometimes look spammy. For us, and what we need it for, it's just about perfect!
February 11, 2020

Using Bitly is a pleasure

One of the tasks that our department is managing is sending out push notifications to the users and we use Bitly to track the amount of people who followed the CTA. We also use personalized Bitly links to provide customers links to our feedback page when providing customer support.
  • Personalized link: when we reply to user reviews on Google Play and App Store, we can’t provide clickable links. So it’s very important to create a link that is easy to remember and reproduce - and Bitly allows us to do it.
  • Bitly allows us to track the activity of the link during the course of time.
  • It’s actually hard to come up with something - Bitly has so many capabilities and is so easy to use!
  • Create a pretty and memorable link: makes it look much more professional. You can than easily share it on public platforms.
  • Makes A/B testing of the content easier.
  • You can try using it for free and then decide if you want to upgrade and get extra features.
I have never had to reach out to Bitly customer support - which is a great thing by itself!
Debbie Gillum | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Bitly to shorten links for social media or other marketing purposes. It turns a really long and hard to type or hard to remember hyperlink into a hyperlink that is easy to remember and easy to type. It's being used just within the Marketing department right now. It addresses the business problem of some links being difficult to communicate.
  • Shortens long links.
  • Easy to use.
  • Free.
  • I wish you could customize more within your shortened link
  • The "create a Bitly link" button should be bold and in the center of the page.
  • I would love a Bitly chrome extension.
It's a great free tool that every social media or digital marketer should have saved in their Favorites. It takes long, hard to remember and hard to type hyperlinks, and transforms them into easy short links that you can use on social media and in marketing materials. It also tracks the number of clicks and engagements on that link.
Justin Germino | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Bit.ly to shrink a lot of links to client websites, brands and even affiliate links like Amazon and others. Anytime you need to shorten a link, customize the link URI slug and need to keep track of outbound clicks and analytics, I use Bit.ly. It has the easiest tracking system compared to other URL shortener services.
  • Customize URI Slug
  • Easily Track Analytics from Same Link
  • Fast
  • Supports API Integration
  • Can't Go Back and Edit Old Short link Target URLs
Bit.ly is fantastic for tracking links, clicks, geographic regions and helps show brands/clients how much click traffic they are getting without having to filter from their own Web Master tools or GA directly. It also helps make user-friendly short links for sharing on social media platforms like Instagram which don't support clickable links so you have to make very easy to remember short links.
Mego Salbashian | TrustRadius Reviewer
Bitly shortened links are being used on our product labels. It allows customers to view product information related to their purchase.
  • Ease of Use
  • Unethical Company. They are holding an issue of ours hostage to get us to upgrade to enterprise level.
  • Horrible Customer Service - They do not care about their customers. No help was given to solve our problems.
  • Very Expensive - Compared to other solutions you are paying much more for Bitly. Also they only offer a complete solution at the highest paid tiers. We had an issue where we need to redirect a link and they would not allow us unless we upgraded to Enterprise level (Over $15,000 USD a year...)
  • Bad features - They've taken basic level features and hid them from standard paid tiers, forcing you to upgrade to fix your problems.
If you're looking for a good link shortner where the team will help you with issues that come up, then stay away from Bitly. Unless you're willing to pay a massive amount for enterprise level then it's not worth it. Also I don't know why anyone would pay the enterprise level fees that they've set.
Jessica Meadows Rich | TrustRadius Reviewer
The marketing team has been using Bitly as a link shortener for use within social media posts for years. We did switch for a time to Google Shortener for awhile but with Google Shortener being discontinued, we've moved back to Bitly. Originally we probably used it to get around Twitter's character limit, although that's no longer relevant. However, being able to also track clicks and measure campaign performance later became more important. Also, there are a number of times when you need to share a link "offline" and being able to shorten a long link into a customized Bitly link that someone could remember is helpful.
  • Very easy to use. Anyone with even limited tech knowledge would be able to begin using the service from day one.
  • Managing and tracking links is very straightforward and offers you exactly what you need.
  • Can use for free and even without signing in, so it's very open and available to everyone.
  • Has been around long enough for it to be a trusted brand, so people feel secure in clicking on it.
  • The free version doesn't allow for branding so you may have some customer confusion
  • I sometimes suspect that it doesn't actually capture correct clicks; sometimes it feels like the data may be incorrect or missing.
I chose Bitly years ago because it was one of the first URL shorteners available and initially was seen as the most reliable. Over time I've continued to use it because it fits my needs (which are minimal, admittedly) and out of habit and loyalty. I think it's perfect for small teams or even individuals as it provides a reliable service for free or low cost. I'm not familiar with their enterprise solutions so I can't speak to those tools and resources. It's a trusted brand that most moderately tech savvy people will recognize and trust.
Saryia Green | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Bitly to shorten and manage the links used for social and email.
  • Serves as a central repository for links to our media page.
  • Shortens links, making them more manageable.
  • Provides metrics on link performance.
  • No personalization. Would prefer to utilize shortened link that includes our domain instead of those provided by Bitly.
  • Would be perfect if it could be installed on individual devices as opposed to visiting the Bitly site.
Bitly is perfect for marketing purposes. We shorten links for social, SMS and email. You can store them and quickly check performance. Bitlinks may not make sense in industries where you are sending and receiving confidential or highly sensitive data, such as banking, insurance, etc., as there is no way to immediately tell whether it is safe to open. It is possible to preview the destination page prior to, however, I would steer clear of using them in those types of environments.
Stefanie Cash | TrustRadius Reviewer
The Marketing Department using Bitly for shortening links on social media. Bitly is also used for tracking those shortening links. Since Google got rid of their URL shortener, Bitly filled the gap. Bitly is easy to and manage for tracking all links the department distributes on social media. Bitly also allows you to see where conversions take place by process of elimination.
  • Shorten web links
  • Track web links
  • Manage web links
  • Better UI
  • Add UTM within App
  • Better Share Features
Bitly is great for tracking and shortening web links. You'll have to add parameters prior to loading into Bitly but it's seriously the best way to shorten links for social media. Sometimes Bitly will report higher numbers than the social media or analytics account you use to monitor, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt. That said, that shortcoming is apparent with nearly every reporting system and Bitly is practically mandatory in the world of Twitter.
Alejandro Matheu, MD, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
Bitly is mainly used by the marketing department for social media, specifically. It helps us to measure the amount of clicks our posts or links receive. Bitly also gives some good statistics which is very helpful for the reports.
  • Very easy to use.
  • The setup or implementation es relatively easy.
  • It gives you statistics of openings and where was opened (where the click comes from) from email, Facebook, etc.
  • What I don’t like is that it is not as easy as Google Shortner, with Google you didn’t have to sign in to get a link shortened, but to use Bitly you must create an account.
  • You must pay for every upgrade of the services (there are several options to upgrade) . It should be just one fee for all.
Bitly is the only great option since Google Shortner was disabled. It’s perfect if you need to measure the clicks a link you shared receives.
December 06, 2017

Awesome Product!

Tina DeAngelis | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use bitly when advertising on social media to shorten urls. They are easy to use and they make a post readable. The dashboard provides great data about click rates and when the person clicks. I highly recommend this product.
  • Dashboard is excellent and provides useful data.
  • Keeps social media posts concise and short.
  • The ease of deleting old urls in the dashboard can be improved. I have to go through two steps to delete an old url.
  • I would like to have dashboard with folders since I use bitly for several different locations and I would like to be able to organize my URLs by location.
I think this works well in social media posts and for newsletters/emails.
Thue Lægdsgaard Madsen | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used only used bitly to shorten URLs with a vanity URL. This was mostly for use on our social platforms.
  • It shortens URLs very easily.
  • The Chrome extension is very helpful and easy to use.
  • It is easy to add a vanity URL although it is something you have to pay extra for.
  • It is very expensive for what it does.
  • It does not provide much overall value.
If you have a large budget, and short URLs with good branding is a concern, I'd recommend Bitly but if that is not the case then I'd look elsewhere.
April 04, 2016

Review - HP

Holland Pintarch | TrustRadius Reviewer

Currently, I'm the marketplace manager for a startup called Growth Geeks. I just came on board a couple of months ago, and we aren't using Bitly as of right now. However, I plan on speaking with the team to begin implementing it for when we post links to our Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook accounts (we post links almost daily to articles) - I also plan on seeing if they would like the enterprise level, but at the very least hoping they will be on board with the regular professional version.

Previous to this position, I was a freelance marketing and communications specialist for over a year. I managed roughly 4-8 clients at a time and was working full time hours - many of these clients were tech startups, some were retail sales, and some were actually advertising agencies themselves. For all of my clients, I was managing their social media accounts and/or consulting with their internal marketing teams to guide them on best social practices for their specific industry and business. When I was managing social media accounts for clients, I always used Bitly's services (sometimes the free version if their exec team didn't want to spend money on the professional version). Using Bitly helped me greatly provide analytics and demonstrate my ROI in their social media efforts (which is extremely important as a freelancer).

Apart from social media, I would use Bitly to post links to the client's website or blog on various forums. This helped me learn which forums were helpful to provide clicks on these links for a particular client, as well as which forums were not worth my time posting on. I also used Bitly in email marketing campaigns and on WordPress blog articles. Having solid data from Bitly analytics helped me provide value to my services, speak with management in very tangible ways they could understand, and helped secure future work with clients.

Also, I worked at a company called CJ Pony Parts as their Social Media Specialist. Twice a month I had a meeting with top management to go over my overall social media strategy, as well as particular campaigns. Using Bitly's analytics and link tracking, I was able to enter this meeting with clarity and hard data for my supervisors to understand ROI on social media. I was also the primary author for the CJ Pony Parts blog, so promoting my articles was particularly important to me and I used Bitly to tweet links and post on Facebook, and I was able to see exactly how many people were checking out my articles via social posts.

• Love how it links back to my original page
  • Gives me statistics on my clicks
  • Provide emails of those who only click once for follow ups
  • Online training
  • Self-taught
I haven't myself experienced any direct issues. I'm confident, with my previous experience, that any support issues I might have will be resolved within hours/business days of my ticket - as Bitly has never really let me down in the past. I am extremely happy with my service thus far.
We upgraded to a new release of Bitly in the past and the new release went very smoothly. We didn't lose any of our data and there were very little unexpected impacts to our account or to our usage of the service. With each upgrade, we noticed several improvements and bug fixes, which are very much appreciated by myself and my team.
Corinne Aherne | TrustRadius Reviewer
In a social media capacity we use Bitly to shorten links so that we don't take up character space in our posts. Especially on Twitter, characters are at a premium, so being able to use Bitly to make our URLs the smallest number of characters possible allows us to deliver better messaging to our audience. Our entire marketing team also uses Bitly to shorten links for email blasts and other marketing materials. Bitly allows us to create more aesthetically pleasing content by eliminating long, cumbersome URLs. We also have opted to use a branded Bitly link, which further ties in our brand to everything we're doing.
  • First, the obvious - it shortens links. Not only that, but you can customize the links so that each one is easy to manage and identify. The customization aspect is definitely a huge plus since it's easy to start drowning in lots of indistinguishable URLs.
  • The analytics portion of Bitly is also great. You can garner insights for each link you create like how many clicks the URL has, where the visitors are coming from, and identify trends in traffic behavior.
  • Searchability - Bitly saves each link you create and you can easily search for them using key words. If you need to pull up a link you used months ago, all you have to do is search for it in Bitly and it will come up.
  • One thing I've noticed is that if you're shortening a link that you didn't create - for example shortening the link to a news article that you then want to share on Twitter - the analytics will continue to pull data from the original URL as a whole, and not just your unique Bitlink. It would be nice to be able to pull out the traffic that just my efforts are pulling to the site, and not every single source of traffic that site is getting.
I think in the realm of digital marketing and social media specifically, Bitly is a must. Short links equals more space to convey your message, and in an area where getting the message across concisely is crucial, a tool like Bitly is a life saver. Additionally, Bitly really makes it easy to keep track of and analyze the hundreds of links my team and I promote on a daily basis. We definitely lean on this tool to get our day to day work done.
I have shared Bitly with my teachers as a way to share documents or online resources with others. I use Bitly any time I have an online presentation deck or document that I'd like to share because of its simplicity. It makes memorizing a long URL a lot easier.
  • Shortens URLs.
  • Makes documents shareable outside organization locks.
  • Copies links.
  • Has a Chrome extension available.
  • To change/modify the Bitly link is a premium feature.
  • Qr code generation would be neat.
I love using Bitly when I attend a conference and present a session. It is an easy way to send a link to our session. It's great for fellow staff or teachers to create and share resources.
Nathan Tessler | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Bitly as part of our email marketing through Bronto. The URLs that we try to implement in our XML product data coding for Bronto require the use of shortened links in order to work, so I chose to use Bitly. I like how Bitly tracks the clicks on each Bitly link, but we will primarily be using the resources within Bronto for any necessary data analysis.
  • Allows us to customize the URL for the Bitly link.
  • Tracks clicks on each Bitly link.
  • Works quickly and reliably.
  • More extensive or advanced data analysis.
  • Outside work with other software or vendors that will expand Bitly and also let Bitly be integrated within the software of other products.
Bitly is essentially well suited for any company or product with an online presence, which is almost every company. If a company wants to know how to best reach its customers or prospects, Bitly can help it use shortened URLs but also track those clicks and see what works best.
March 30, 2016

Does size matter?

Sarah Burek | TrustRadius Reviewer
Bitly was used by my department for our social media posts. It's a great tool and simple to use. We share a lot of blogs that have very lengthy URLs so we needed a tool that would allow us to shorten it to meet Twitter's character limit.
  • It's quick, and provides you with a shortened link fast.
  • It tracks how many people actually click on the link. This is much better data than just seeing who is reading your post or liking them. They may not be engaging.
  • More comprehensive analytics.
  • It would be great if it integrated into more social media platforms.
  • Shortening multiple URLs at a time would be beneficial.
It's more suited for a small team, where only one or two people will be using the tool and posting to social media. With only one log-in it could get confusing for large teams or multiple users. Bitly is an excellent tool for small to medium size businesses and keeps track of all the shortened URLs for you.

What is Bitly?

Bitly (Bit.ly) is one of the most popular link shortening tools. The vendor says it shortens 1 billion links per month. The company is privately held, based in New York City, and was founded in 2008.

Bitly Integrations