Bitly (Bit.ly) is one of the most popular link shortening tools. The vendor says it shortens 1 billion links per month. The company is privately held, based in New York City, and was founded in 2008.Super easy and straightforward to useThe marketing team has been using Bitly as a link shortener for use within social media posts for years. We did switch for a time to Google Shortener for awhile but with Google Shortener being discontinued, we've moved back to Bitly. Originally we probably used it to get around Twitter's character limit, although that's no longer relevant. However, being able to also track clicks and measure campaign performance later became more important. Also, there are a number of times when you need to share a link "offline" and being able to shorten a long link into a customized Bitly link that someone could remember is helpful.,Very easy to use. Anyone with even limited tech knowledge would be able to begin using the service from day one. Managing and tracking links is very straightforward and offers you exactly what you need. Can use for free and even without signing in, so it's very open and available to everyone. Has been around long enough for it to be a trusted brand, so people feel secure in clicking on it.,The free version doesn't allow for branding so you may have some customer confusion I sometimes suspect that it doesn't actually capture correct clicks; sometimes it feels like the data may be incorrect or missing.,10,Has allowed us to share long/unwieldy URLs easily, both online and even offline Has allowed us customize long URLs for branding/easier sharing Has allowed us to track and measure marketing campaigns' success,,WordPress, Squarespace, Google AnalyticsQuick and Easy Short Link MakerThe Marketing Department using Bitly for shortening links on social media. Bitly is also used for tracking those shortening links. Since Google got rid of their URL shortener, Bitly filled the gap. Bitly is easy to and manage for tracking all links the department distributes on social media. Bitly also allows you to see where conversions take place by process of elimination.,Shorten web links Track web links Manage web links,Better UI Add UTM within App Better Share Features,10,Easy tracking Easy monitoring Easy shortening,Act-On Software and Hootsuite Enterprise,123FormBuilder (formerly 123ContactForm), Salesforce App Cloud, Constant Contact, MailChimp, Emma,Management of short links Creating short links Monitoring short links,Locating short links without a title Comparing to short links Menu system is a tad cumbersome,10Bitly the most complete optionBitly is mainly used by the marketing department for social media, specifically. It helps us to measure the amount of clicks our posts or links receive. Bitly also gives some good statistics which is very helpful for the reports.,Very easy to use. The setup or implementation es relatively easy. It gives you statistics of openings and where was opened (where the click comes from) from email, Facebook, etc.,What I don’t like is that it is not as easy as Google Shortner, with Google you didn’t have to sign in to get a link shortened, but to use Bitly you must create an account. You must pay for every upgrade of the services (there are several options to upgrade) . It should be just one fee for all.,10,It gave us better and more accurate insights. Some features are free and some others are paid and depends on your needs. It will tell you if it’s worth it or not.,,Socialbakers Suite, Sprout SocialBitly - the easy way to shorten URL'sWe use Bitly to quickly shrink and customize long URL's, as well as to get data on clicks to these links. This is used primarily by the social media team to accompany posts on specific social media platforms but is also used when sending internal email messages in addition to this.,The ability to quickly shorten long URL's. The ability to customize shortened URL's. Providing data on URL clicks.,It is somewhat complicated to connect with DNS to custom URLs. Would be great if the Bitly suite were integrated directly into social platforms. The Bitly pro version is fairly expensive when compared to the competition.,9,The ability to quickly create short, custom URL's. The ability to track data on platforms (instagram stories) where data wasn't previously available.,Hootsuite Free,Hootsuite Enterprise, Union Metrics, Google TrendsToo expensive for what it doesWe used only used bitly to shorten URLs with a vanity URL. This was mostly for use on our social platforms.,It shortens URLs very easily. The Chrome extension is very helpful and easy to use. It is easy to add a vanity URL although it is something you have to pay extra for.,It is very expensive for what it does. It does not provide much overall value.,2,We did not find any positive ROI on bitly and are therefore no longer a customer.,meet edgar and Buffer,Pardot, Kissmetrics, Segment, GoToWebinar
Bitly

Bitly Reviews

Bitly
Filter 38 vetted Bitly reviews and ratings
Jessica Meadows Rich profile photo
December 01, 2018

Bitly Review: "Super easy and straightforward to use"

• Very easy to use. Anyone with even limited tech knowledge would be able to begin using the service from day one.
  • Managing and tracking links is very straightforward and offers you exactly what you need.
  • Can use for free and even without signing in, so it's very open and available to everyone.
  • Has been around long enough for it to be a trusted brand, so people feel secure in clicking on it.
  • The free version doesn't allow for branding so you may have some customer confusion
  • I sometimes suspect that it doesn't actually capture correct clicks; sometimes it feels like the data may be incorrect or missing.
I chose Bitly years ago because it was one of the first URL shorteners available and initially was seen as the most reliable. Over time I've continued to use it because it fits my needs (which are minimal, admittedly) and out of habit and loyalty. I think it's perfect for small teams or even individuals as it provides a reliable service for free or low cost. I'm not familiar with their enterprise solutions so I can't speak to those tools and resources. It's a trusted brand that most moderately tech savvy people will recognize and trust.
Read Jessica Meadows Rich's full review
Stefanie Cash profile photo
November 14, 2018

Bitly Review: "Quick and Easy Short Link Maker"

• Shorten web links
  • Track web links
  • Manage web links
  • Better UI
  • Add UTM within App
  • Better Share Features
Bitly is great for tracking and shortening web links. You'll have to add parameters prior to loading into Bitly but it's seriously the best way to shorten links for social media. Sometimes Bitly will report higher numbers than the social media or analytics account you use to monitor, so you have to take everything with a grain of salt. That said, that shortcoming is apparent with nearly every reporting system and Bitly is practically mandatory in the world of Twitter.
Read Stefanie Cash's full review
Alejandro Matheu, MD, MBA profile photo
December 05, 2018

User Review: "Bitly the most complete option"

• Very easy to use.
  • The setup or implementation es relatively easy.
  • It gives you statistics of openings and where was opened (where the click comes from) from email, Facebook, etc.
  • What I don’t like is that it is not as easy as Google Shortner, with Google you didn’t have to sign in to get a link shortened, but to use Bitly you must create an account.
  • You must pay for every upgrade of the services (there are several options to upgrade) . It should be just one fee for all.
Bitly is the only great option since Google Shortner was disabled. It’s perfect if you need to measure the clicks a link you shared receives.
Read Alejandro Matheu, MD, MBA's full review
November 21, 2018

User Review: "Bitly - the easy way to shorten URL's"

• The ability to quickly shorten long URL's.
  • The ability to customize shortened URL's.
  • Providing data on URL clicks.
  • It is somewhat complicated to connect with DNS to custom URLs.
  • Would be great if the Bitly suite were integrated directly into social platforms.
  • The Bitly pro version is fairly expensive when compared to the competition.
The free version of Bitly is a great tool for small business users and publishers to allow for some basic data tracking on URL's they might share to social media. Also, given that Instagram does not allow for clickable URL's to be included in descriptions, the URL customization options in Bitly make it easy to include a short, punchy domain that a user could easily write down from the caption to get to your site.
Thue Lægdsgaard Madsen profile photo
December 14, 2017

Bitly Review: "Too expensive for what it does"

• It shortens URLs very easily.
  • The Chrome extension is very helpful and easy to use.
  • It is easy to add a vanity URL although it is something you have to pay extra for.
  • It is very expensive for what it does.
  • It does not provide much overall value.
If you have a large budget, and short URLs with good branding is a concern, I'd recommend Bitly but if that is not the case then I'd look elsewhere.
Read Thue Lægdsgaard Madsen's full review
December 13, 2017

Bitly Review: "Easy and powerful"

My team and I mostly use Bitly to shorten and customize URLs to use in reports to clients where a "hot link" would not work or when we are not confident our clients will click on the link. I am sure there are some employees in the marketing department too but it's not widely used within our office.
  • Easy to use on social media.
  • Easy for our customers to use and increases confidence in our brand by not showing long, external links.
  • I can use one Bitly link in a number of platforms which makes my life simple.
  • I don't think people know how powerful the tool is when it comes to tracking "click-thrus" and website traffic.
  • Users may only know this tool as a social media app but I use it in a professional research capacity when I don't need to use a more formal citation.
It doesn't replace formal citation but it's great if you want to include (and track) activity in an internal report.
Tina DeAngelis profile photo
December 06, 2017

Bitly Review: "Awesome Product!"

We use bitly when advertising on social media to shorten urls. They are easy to use and they make a post readable. The dashboard provides great data about click rates and when the person clicks. I highly recommend this product.
  • Dashboard is excellent and provides useful data.
  • Keeps social media posts concise and short.
  • The ease of deleting old urls in the dashboard can be improved. I have to go through two steps to delete an old url.
  • I would like to have dashboard with folders since I use bitly for several different locations and I would like to be able to organize my URLs by location.
I think this works well in social media posts and for newsletters/emails.
Read Tina DeAngelis's full review
Holland Pintarch profile photo
April 04, 2016

Bitly: "Review - HP"

Currently, I'm the marketplace manager for a startup called Growth Geeks. I just came on board a couple of months ago, and we aren't using Bitly as of right now. However, I plan on speaking with the team to begin implementing it for when we post links to our Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook accounts (we post links almost daily to articles) - I also plan on seeing if they would like the enterprise level, but at the very least hoping they will be on board with the regular professional version.

Previous to this position, I was a freelance marketing and communications specialist for over a year. I managed roughly 4-8 clients at a time and was working full time hours - many of these clients were tech startups, some were retail sales, and some were actually advertising agencies themselves. For all of my clients, I was managing their social media accounts and/or consulting with their internal marketing teams to guide them on best social practices for their specific industry and business. When I was managing social media accounts for clients, I always used Bitly's services (sometimes the free version if their exec team didn't want to spend money on the professional version). Using Bitly helped me greatly provide analytics and demonstrate my ROI in their social media efforts (which is extremely important as a freelancer).

Apart from social media, I would use Bitly to post links to the client's website or blog on various forums. This helped me learn which forums were helpful to provide clicks on these links for a particular client, as well as which forums were not worth my time posting on. I also used Bitly in email marketing campaigns and on WordPress blog articles. Having solid data from Bitly analytics helped me provide value to my services, speak with management in very tangible ways they could understand, and helped secure future work with clients.

Also, I worked at a company called CJ Pony Parts as their Social Media Specialist. Twice a month I had a meeting with top management to go over my overall social media strategy, as well as particular campaigns. Using Bitly's analytics and link tracking, I was able to enter this meeting with clarity and hard data for my supervisors to understand ROI on social media. I was also the primary author for the CJ Pony Parts blog, so promoting my articles was particularly important to me and I used Bitly to tweet links and post on Facebook, and I was able to see exactly how many people were checking out my articles via social posts.

• Love how it links back to my original page
  • Gives me statistics on my clicks
  • Provide emails of those who only click once for follow ups
Read Holland Pintarch's full review
Corinne Aherne profile photo
March 23, 2016

Review: "When it comes to social media - Bitly saves the day!"

In a social media capacity we use Bitly to shorten links so that we don't take up character space in our posts. Especially on Twitter, characters are at a premium, so being able to use Bitly to make our URLs the smallest number of characters possible allows us to deliver better messaging to our audience. Our entire marketing team also uses Bitly to shorten links for email blasts and other marketing materials. Bitly allows us to create more aesthetically pleasing content by eliminating long, cumbersome URLs. We also have opted to use a branded Bitly link, which further ties in our brand to everything we're doing.
  • First, the obvious - it shortens links. Not only that, but you can customize the links so that each one is easy to manage and identify. The customization aspect is definitely a huge plus since it's easy to start drowning in lots of indistinguishable URLs.
  • The analytics portion of Bitly is also great. You can garner insights for each link you create like how many clicks the URL has, where the visitors are coming from, and identify trends in traffic behavior.
  • Searchability - Bitly saves each link you create and you can easily search for them using key words. If you need to pull up a link you used months ago, all you have to do is search for it in Bitly and it will come up.
  • One thing I've noticed is that if you're shortening a link that you didn't create - for example shortening the link to a news article that you then want to share on Twitter - the analytics will continue to pull data from the original URL as a whole, and not just your unique Bitlink. It would be nice to be able to pull out the traffic that just my efforts are pulling to the site, and not every single source of traffic that site is getting.
I think in the realm of digital marketing and social media specifically, Bitly is a must. Short links equals more space to convey your message, and in an area where getting the message across concisely is crucial, a tool like Bitly is a life saver. Additionally, Bitly really makes it easy to keep track of and analyze the hundreds of links my team and I promote on a daily basis. We definitely lean on this tool to get our day to day work done.
Read Corinne Aherne's full review
Nathan Tessler profile photo
April 01, 2016

"Short Review of Initial Bitly Experience"

I use Bitly as part of our email marketing through Bronto. The URLs that we try to implement in our XML product data coding for Bronto require the use of shortened links in order to work, so I chose to use Bitly. I like how Bitly tracks the clicks on each Bitly link, but we will primarily be using the resources within Bronto for any necessary data analysis.
  • Allows us to customize the URL for the Bitly link.
  • Tracks clicks on each Bitly link.
  • Works quickly and reliably.
  • More extensive or advanced data analysis.
  • Outside work with other software or vendors that will expand Bitly and also let Bitly be integrated within the software of other products.
Bitly is essentially well suited for any company or product with an online presence, which is almost every company. If a company wants to know how to best reach its customers or prospects, Bitly can help it use shortened URLs but also track those clicks and see what works best.
Read Nathan Tessler's full review
Sarah Burek profile photo
March 30, 2016

Bitly Review: "Does size matter?"

Bitly was used by my department for our social media posts. It's a great tool and simple to use. We share a lot of blogs that have very lengthy URLs so we needed a tool that would allow us to shorten it to meet Twitter's character limit.
  • It's quick, and provides you with a shortened link fast.
  • It tracks how many people actually click on the link. This is much better data than just seeing who is reading your post or liking them. They may not be engaging.
  • More comprehensive analytics.
  • It would be great if it integrated into more social media platforms.
  • Shortening multiple URLs at a time would be beneficial.
It's more suited for a small team, where only one or two people will be using the tool and posting to social media. With only one log-in it could get confusing for large teams or multiple users. Bitly is an excellent tool for small to medium size businesses and keeps track of all the shortened URLs for you.
Read Sarah Burek's full review
June 01, 2016

Bitly Review: "bit.ly -- short on links, BIG on ROI"

Currently I use bit.ly to track clicks and in-bound marketing leads for a few freelance jobs I'm leading. One is to track clicks to a website that is selling books (directly from author) - another is my wife's business (small clothing company, Etsy store), and for a music streaming company that hasn't launched yet -- to generate more names for our email listserv. I used it to show click trends over time and to review referrers.
  • Ease of use. It's so simple it needs almost no explanation as to what info it delivers or how to use it.
  • Accessible information. I love that you can see the info about any link by simply including a "+" at the end of the link.
  • Personalized/custom links. Creation of these makes it super easy to remember the most important links -- and doubles as branding as well!
  • It used to be that the app was not as user friendly as the desktop version, but that was remedied last year. It's great now.
  • Although fully transparent info for all links is good, it might be nice if you could make a link's info private. Note: this may be accessible at the enterprise level of service, which I am not currently subscribed to.
I have used bit.ly for my roles at NBA, VIACOM, BET and now with the small businesses I consult for. In my opinion, there is no better service for ease of use for shortening, and getting real time action oriented data for the links you generate.
March 23, 2016

Bitly Review: "Easy to use shortening service and tracker"

I had previously used bit.ly in my job as editorial assistant at a weekly newspaper, to both shorten links for social media and to track the popularity of stories and their sources. It's intuitive and clean interface made it easy to use, and now in my own personal and freelance writing, I still use it for the same purpose.

It wasn't being used by my whole organization, but everyone in my department implemented it on my direction, and they were all happy with it. When new employees filled the roles, they continued using the service, in concert with Hootsuite, which planned posts.
  • Shortening links.
  • Tracking clicks.
  • Clean UI.
  • I would love if it interfaced with other sites more easily, like Twitter or Facebook.
  • It would be great if link names could be customized (maybe including the abbreviation of the publication or company).
It's definitely well suited to editorial work, and tracking what's of interest to the general public. It's a pretty simple and straightforward service with good functionality and ease of use. I recommend it for simply shortening links easily. I could also see it being helpful to anyone in marketing or who works heavily in social media. It's an essential tool for any social media manager.
March 25, 2016

Bitly Review: "Bit.ly = Good data"

The Marketing/Communications Department uses Bit.ly as we manage all web and digital media. It's more aesthetically pleasing and it allows us to track user behavior and source traffic to pages.
  • Great metrics dashboard - very easy to read and understand.
  • Shortened links = less characters to worry about.
  • Customization of links to make it more organizational/topical.
  • I wish it was easier to customize the "bit" in bitly like the New York Times - I don't have the technological wherewithal to do it without support.
  • Daily emails to show a metrics dashboard would be nice.
It seems like the industry best standard.

About Bitly