Overall Satisfaction with BlackLine
We use BlackLine's Reconciliation, Task, and Matching modules. We plan to start implementing the Journals module sometime in the next 6 months. Various teams use the application: tax, cash, corporate AP, and various revenue teams. The other BlackLine Admins and I feel that our users underutilize its functionality and hope to expand our use of the Task and Matching modules to automate more of our work.
- Setting up match sets is well worth the time and testing involved.
- Reconciliations are easy to use and provide better visibility through reporting than Excel.
- Excellent customer service.
- There is some inconsistency in design of some of the pages (e.g. the Atlas grid is not always available).
- Some navigation is frustrating (e.g. you have to use a drop-down menu to add a team rather than being able to start typing and use autocomplete to find the team, some selections such as Designate multi-currency on reconciliations take you back to the top of the page rather than just marking it, etc)
- Can't delete unused data sources.
- Time savings on reconciliation across the accounting department.
- Visibility on required adjustments for the next accounting period.
- More accurate reconciliations - no burying issues in a spreadsheet.
SharePoint is just a repository, so it is nearly useless for reconciliations. BlackLine allows for better analysis of accounts, it provides workflow options to show that the reconciliations and tasks have been certified, and since it is web-based there's no chance of anyone deleting or moving files and losing data.
Do you think BlackLine delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with BlackLine's feature set?
Did BlackLine live up to sales and marketing promises?
I wasn't involved with the selection/purchase process
Did implementation of BlackLine go as expected?
I wasn't involved with the implementation phase
Would you buy BlackLine again?
There are some processes that we currently use that cannot be done in BlackLine. Our users don't want to change their processes or learn new processes even though it would make their jobs easier. We have very few users who have adopted BlackLine fully, and management has not made it a requirement to use the application.
Our support people always get back to us quickly and provide effective solutions to our problems and answers to our questions. When there's no quick fix, they keep us apprised of progress. We've successfully resolved many problems, such as updating our certificates, with very little unnecessary back-and-forth or wasted time.
We're finding matching to be very useful for many types of reconciliations. Our cash team took it up first and they've had great success with it, saving about 30 hours a month across the team. One of our tax departments is working on an accrual vs. payout match set. I've been using it for APIC/Investment in Sub.