Overall Satisfaction with Cloudflare
- When you need a FREE and EASY TO SETUP SSL certificate on your page (if you don't have the locked locker icon when opening your page, you need it)
- When you want to obfuscate your webpage's IP (any connection will give the Cloudflare's IP)
- You need to speed up the connection for static content (it will not help database connections or dynamic content)
- IF your DNS isn't good (Cloudflare's DNS is amazing, quick, easy, and works pretty well)
- Personalize the page's timeout (300sec fixed now, some backend processes couldn't be done and that's the reason we stop using it in my company)
- Option to have optimizations activated in just some pages.
- We used the free plan so the Return of Investment was there from the start
- Our page got the correct SSL configuration with the corresponding Google search benefits.
- The page does get slightly faster (mostly dynamic content that Cloudflare doesn't help that much)
- We had a problem in the backend due to timeout, the workaround was to have a 2nd domain without Cloudflare just for the backend.
Haven't used any alternative CDN, we did use Plesk to manage our server now, though, what replaced Cloudflare (new server), we also use the Free Let´s Encrypt SSL for the certificate (that was the reason we first tried Cloudflare), also the Nginx reverse proxy managed by Plesk. We basically replaced having Cloudflare to fix our server limitations with an oversized server.
I never asked for Cloudflare's support, it's not fair to reduce its score to 10 for it. To be fair, there is something very positive about using a platform for years and never need any kind of support, that would also be a 1/10.
Do you think Cloudflare delivers good value for the price?
Are you happy with Cloudflare's feature set?
Did Cloudflare live up to sales and marketing promises?
Did implementation of Cloudflare go as expected?
Would you buy Cloudflare again?
Most of my Cloudflare recommendations are for personal or small pager or stores, the main reason is undoubtedly the FREE SSL certificate, it is way less useful when you do have a good server setup with your own SSL and optimizations on top. At least in its free plan, it's NOT recommendable for bigger systems with backend processes where you have large database queries as you can hit its timeout that can be changed, that said, it's a good 300 seconds timeout, your page should never take more than this, except if its a bulk backend process that doesn't affect usability (our case).