Constant Contact: Showing Its Age
September 01, 2015
Constant Contact: Showing Its Age
Score 7 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Constant Contact
We use Constant Contact in our digital marketing department on behalf of our clients to create customized email blasts for the luxury real estate and hospitality categories. Constant Contact provides a solution for our clients to keep their customers up to date with new offers, news and specials on a regular basis through email campaigns.
- Great list management tools. Constant Contact takes the stress out of managing and building your email lists through its streamlined and intuitive interface.
- Customizable Templates are great. The ability to manually create your own template and have it work seamlessly thorough HTML or XHTML is a huge benefit for helping your campaigns stand out from the crowd.
- Great Professional Services. From the coaching staff to the customer support specialists, everyone I've interacted with from Constant Contact knew the system inside and out, and didn't have to defer to other parties to help me through an issue.
- Reporting and tracking campaign effectiveness is a breeze with the variety of tracking abilities Constant Contact offers. From open rates to bounces, clickthroughs and several other key data points, the toolkit is key to constantly making your campaigns more successful.
- The campaign section's user interface is a bit dated and could use some refreshing to bring it up to the current trends in design and user experience.
- Each day mobile email use grows bit by bit, so it would be great if Constant Contact updated their toolkit for better embracing responsive/adaptive email design in their templates.
- The variety of templates available are plenty in number, but lack the some of the basic foundations and calls to action for getting more ROI from your emails.
- The lack of Google Analytics integration on the app is a big drawback for marketing managers who depend on the API service for tracking their campaign effectiveness.
- The higher pricing for some services, such as social media and surveys, is a drawback for users on a limited budget, especially when compared to Constant Contact's competitors.
- The sheer amount of customizable tools available are great, but might be overwhelming for the average user.
- Many of our clients use a variety of email management services, and Constant Contact is usually chief among them. This keeps our team sharp and up to date for customer service inquiries.
- Constant Contact is extremely reliable. It's been applicable and has grown with trends in digital marketing over the last decade to stay at the top as a best-in-class provider.
- The reporting tools help to give a sense of how well campaigns are performing (or not performing) and gives insight on how to create future campaigns in more effective ways.
- The lack of Google Analytics integration on the app is a hinderance for marketing managers who use the robust API on a variety of other platforms that seamlessly integrate with the service.
- Higher pricing for integrating social media and surveys, and other additional service, is a drawback for the average user on a budget – especially when competitors offer those services for free.
Constant Contact has long been an industry leader for email campaign and list management. It's reliable and a great go-to for many of our clients. MailChimp is most likely its biggest competitor in my opinion, giving Constant Contact a literal run for its money with equivalent services and pricing. At the end of the day, Constant Contact is usually a frontrunner for more advanced users, but average, less technically-inclined users might find it too cumbersome for regular usage.
It's well suited for digital marketing agencies to use for their clients that have suitable budgets. The pricing, however, is less suitable for a small business when compared to other resources like MailChimp that offer the same features and services for free. Key questions a user should ask themselves is how large their email lists are, and how often they need to send email campaigns. Those answers can greatly change the service provider recommendation.