MailChimp is an SMB-oriented email platform. A free account is offered with a 500 subscriber limit and with a limit of 3000 sends. There are various pricing models above 500 subscribers.Mailchimp is best at what it's name suggests - email!We use Mailchimp to handle all of our email newsletters that go out to various lists we have which includes both B2B and B2C customers. It is our main resource for being in touch with all of our customers and interested parties. We also use integrations to connect our Mailchimp account with our website provider as well as some social channels in order to provide opportunities for people to sign up for our mailing list. Mailchimp also provides an easy to use service for creating ads on social media networks like Facebook and Instagram. We use this occasionally and it works very well.,Mailchimp, as the name suggests, excels at email. The platform is easy to use, has templates that make getting started easy and looks incredibly professional. The terminology is made simple so that anyone can understand what is necessary at each phase of crafting emails and deciding on what features to use (or not use). List management with Mailchimp is very easy. There are multiple ways to create or add to lists - name sand email addresses can be added manually; a csv file can be uploaded and integrated into a list; users can sign up and add themselves via sign up forms on websites and social media; and, my personal favorite is the Subscribe app that Mailchimp offers. For companies that want to add people to their lists from on-site locations like a trade show or expo, the app allows people to add their name and email and then automatically syncs that info with a predetermined list. One thing that Mailchimp does that, in my opinion, is better than many other email providers is their free option. Many other providers will give you 30 or 60 days free to try out their platform. What Mailchimp does is allow you to use their service completely free up to 2000 (or maybe 2500, I don't remember) people on your lists. So for small companies that are just starting out and growing their lists, they can use Mailchimp for as long as they want until they go above that 2000 limit. There's no time limit.,Mailchimp's Help, FAQ and knowledge-base section is INCREDIBLY deep. So much so that sometimes each article or question answer leads to another one, and then another one, so much so that the actual answer you are looking for can actually seem pretty complex. That may or may not necessarily be Mailchimp's fault as it depends on what kind of answers one is looking for. And, while much of the time, the answers are very clear, I've found that occasionally some answers or articles are not necessarily so easy to understand. During the entire GDPR "countdown" I found it hard to navigate what the requirements were and how I could make sure I was in compliance. I assumed that Mailchimp would have an extensive explanation of how to take care of it. While they did provide some resources, I found them not very helpful. I did reach out to their support team and all I got back was an answer directing me to the same articles that weren't clear enough to begin with. For a company that does good job of taking complicated processes and lingo and turning them into a completely doable tasks, I found the support to be lacking in this instance. Who knows wha that means for things like this in the future, but it was an example where I was not happy with the support provided. This is more of a pet peeve, but when editing an email certain functions are not editable the way I wish they'd be. For example, if I want to add an image group of three pictures to an email, Mailchimp allows to choose from a few different options in how those images are laid out. Those options are not always enough. I find myself sometimes wanting more options to choose from.,10,Our email campaigns are integral to generating B2C sales. Mailchimp allows us to reach our subscriber audience and get product info and sale or discount info out to our customers. One sale can cover the cost of Mailchimp for that month. Good ROI. The analytics data that Mailchimp provides on email and advertising campaigns is very in depth (but still easy to understand and digest). It gives great insight so that future campaigns can be tailored to the different lists accordingly. Once again, it provides a good ROI. We see a substantial uptick in traffic to our site after sending emails with Mailchimp. I imagine this is usually the case with any email service but our web platform allows us to see where traffic is coming from and our emails do well. On days when our email go out traffic can go up by 3-400%.,Less than 10,000,Both,Grasshopper, Dropbox Business, HightailAwesome tool to communicate with your customers electronically.My organization deals into Real Estate. And we usually require newsletters and promotional contents to inform our clients about the ongoing situation in Real Estate market. So we use this tool to send newsletters and promotional contents to our clients. This tool is quite good in this so It is used by Marketing department. It helps us to find prospects also for our products.,Its user interface is awesome. It doesn't require any technical skill to operate it. To create a newsletter or any promotional content it has Drag and Drop option. So users don't need to learn html or other coding methods to design the content. Its technical advancement of delivering promotional mails without going into spam. The success rate is 100%. Various analytical tools associated with MailChimp gives you the complete analysis of your promotional campaign. You can check which client has opened your email at what time, on what system and at which location.,They should include some more fonts in its Drag and Drop feature. It will give the user more options to make the content beautiful and impressive. Its web application is very good but its mobile application is not that good. I once used it but i find it difficult to design a newsletters because of its user interface. And mobile application had crashed also multiple times. When we go on higher subscriber base I find its pricing on a higher side. It seems un-affordable for small businesses like us.,9,All positive impact I got from MailChimp. It helped me to scale up my business in terms of sales transactions from scratch till where I am now. It helped me to increase my email list. Initially I used to have a list of 2000-3000 subscribers. Now I am having more than 15000 subscribers. It also helped me in brand building of my organization in the mind of my customers because of the rich feeling of my newsletters and promotional mailers created by MailChimp.,,Less than 10,000,B2C,Google Analytics, SendGrid Marketing Email, Google DriveBest Platform for E-Mail Campaign!My online business has started growing more and more as of late, and I needed an automated emailing system that would allow me to reach my customers via email easily and all at once. It was actually Squarespace that recommended MailChimp as I wanted to open a Newsletter section of my website. So I made a MailChimp account, created my Newsletter page and the rest is history!,MailChimp's templates are very flexible and they even let you code your own template if you can't find one for your needs! I just use a Basic one and I usually use the same template for all of my emails. And the email customization is great! I can easily insert photos, links, videos, GIFs, buttons and more! They also allow for multiple mailing lists. Currently I only have one (my newsletter), but if you need more than one, you can create them. Also, they allow you to create subscriber groups/segments. Only want to send an email to a select group of subscribers? No problem. You can create and name a group or just individually select certain subscribers! This is a great feature to send an email to a new subscriber and just that new subscriber. Their Reports/Analytics system is also helps to show you if your emails are gaining the attention of your subscribers. It shows the Click Rate and Open Rate for all of the campaigns/emails you have sent. It's a great way to learn about what emails are working and what's not.,No dislikes so far! It's free to use until you amass 2,000 subscribers! I'm not there yet, so I'm loving MailChimp!,10,I used to send hand typed emails to ALL, yes all of my customers concerning sales, new product announcements and more. Not only was that tedious, but some of my customers may or may not wanted to have me doing that. So my using MailChimp to run my Newsletter, now my customers can choose if they want to hear more news from me. And MailChimp's automation allows me send my emails to my customers with a click of a button!,,Less than 10,000,B2CMailChimp - paid version ok, not great for beginners not wanting to invest $$I'm not currently using MailChimp. I left about 2 years ago due to limitations. I decided since I would have had to pay for the features I needed, that I'd be better off going elsewhere. Frequently I have to consult new clients about what email service provider to go with and they frequently choose MailChimp (because it's what they know).,MailChimp makes designing emails easy with their drag and drop systems. MailChimp makes designing emails easy with all of their template options.,MailChimp does not allow unpaid users to send out funnels as automations. This is a big fail and 90% of the reason for having an email list! MailChimp doesn't allow for a ton of customization on the landing pages.,3,Mailchimp would stop me from delivering email funnels to new subscribers.,Less than 10,000User-Friendly MailChimpMailChimp is used to set up and execute our Email Marketing Campaigns. It is used by our Marketing Department and allows for another customer touch point.,The system is very to learn therefore you can get up and running quickly. It provides easy setup of campaigns. It allows for basic metrics on how your campaigns perform.,It would be great if you could set up campaigns for multiple locations as one campaign instead of individual campaigns.,9,Allowed for promotion of special events. Acted as another consumer touch point.,Constant Contact,25,000 to 100,000,B2C
MailChimp

MailChimp Reviews

MailChimp
Top Rated Award
Filter 1336 vetted MailChimp reviews and ratings
Daniel Shatzkes CEO Entrepreneur, Manufacturer, Musician profile photo
December 06, 2018

Review: "Mailchimp is best at what it's name suggests - email!"

• Mailchimp, as the name suggests, excels at email. The platform is easy to use, has templates that make getting started easy and looks incredibly professional. The terminology is made simple so that anyone can understand what is necessary at each phase of crafting emails and deciding on what features to use (or not use).
  • List management with Mailchimp is very easy. There are multiple ways to create or add to lists - name sand email addresses can be added manually; a csv file can be uploaded and integrated into a list; users can sign up and add themselves via sign up forms on websites and social media; and, my personal favorite is the Subscribe app that Mailchimp offers. For companies that want to add people to their lists from on-site locations like a trade show or expo, the app allows people to add their name and email and then automatically syncs that info with a predetermined list.
  • One thing that Mailchimp does that, in my opinion, is better than many other email providers is their free option. Many other providers will give you 30 or 60 days free to try out their platform. What Mailchimp does is allow you to use their service completely free up to 2000 (or maybe 2500, I don't remember) people on your lists. So for small companies that are just starting out and growing their lists, they can use Mailchimp for as long as they want until they go above that 2000 limit. There's no time limit.
  • Mailchimp's Help, FAQ and knowledge-base section is INCREDIBLY deep. So much so that sometimes each article or question answer leads to another one, and then another one, so much so that the actual answer you are looking for can actually seem pretty complex. That may or may not necessarily be Mailchimp's fault as it depends on what kind of answers one is looking for. And, while much of the time, the answers are very clear, I've found that occasionally some answers or articles are not necessarily so easy to understand.
  • During the entire GDPR "countdown" I found it hard to navigate what the requirements were and how I could make sure I was in compliance. I assumed that Mailchimp would have an extensive explanation of how to take care of it. While they did provide some resources, I found them not very helpful. I did reach out to their support team and all I got back was an answer directing me to the same articles that weren't clear enough to begin with. For a company that does good job of taking complicated processes and lingo and turning them into a completely doable tasks, I found the support to be lacking in this instance. Who knows wha that means for things like this in the future, but it was an example where I was not happy with the support provided.
  • This is more of a pet peeve, but when editing an email certain functions are not editable the way I wish they'd be. For example, if I want to add an image group of three pictures to an email, Mailchimp allows to choose from a few different options in how those images are laid out. Those options are not always enough. I find myself sometimes wanting more options to choose from.
As I've already mentioned, Mailchimp is absolutely fantastic for email communication between your business and your customers/subscribers. Especially if you're just getting started, Mailchimp is a no brainer. You don't have to worry about making sure to utilize the platform enough times in 30 days before your trial period runs out. The fact that they allow you to use the platform completely free up to 2000 subscribers is a big plus in my book. This is a better way to give people and businesses a chance to see if this platform is the right one for them.

Mailchimp also has an Automations feature which can be used very cleverly. Its a way to interact with your subscribers via email without actually having to do anything. You set the emails up once and then the automation takes over, intelligently sending out emails to people based on their behaviors and interactions with your campaigns. Great stuff. For example, if you send out a welcome email to new subscribers, Mailchimp can automatically send out different follow up emails to those subscribers based on whether they didn't open it up, opened it o clicked on a link in the email.
Read Daniel Shatzkes CEO Entrepreneur, Manufacturer, Musician's full review
Shashank Chaturvedi profile photo
September 10, 2018

MailChimp Review: "Awesome tool to communicate with your customers electronically."

• Its user interface is awesome. It doesn't require any technical skill to operate it.
  • To create a newsletter or any promotional content it has Drag and Drop option. So users don't need to learn html or other coding methods to design the content.
  • Its technical advancement of delivering promotional mails without going into spam. The success rate is 100%.
  • Various analytical tools associated with MailChimp gives you the complete analysis of your promotional campaign. You can check which client has opened your email at what time, on what system and at which location.
  • They should include some more fonts in its Drag and Drop feature. It will give the user more options to make the content beautiful and impressive.
  • Its web application is very good but its mobile application is not that good. I once used it but i find it difficult to design a newsletters because of its user interface. And mobile application had crashed also multiple times.
  • When we go on higher subscriber base I find its pricing on a higher side. It seems un-affordable for small businesses like us.
It's well suited when you want to start building an email list. Initially you can use its free version to scale up your email list and business also and then you can move to paid version. It is very well suited for promotional emails where you can get good number of prospective leads for your products or services.
It's not appropriate to send individual emails.
Read Shashank Chaturvedi's full review
Daryl Wise Jr. profile photo
August 10, 2018

MailChimp Review: "Best Platform for E-Mail Campaign!"

• MailChimp's templates are very flexible and they even let you code your own template if you can't find one for your needs! I just use a Basic one and I usually use the same template for all of my emails. And the email customization is great! I can easily insert photos, links, videos, GIFs, buttons and more!
  • They also allow for multiple mailing lists. Currently I only have one (my newsletter), but if you need more than one, you can create them.
  • Also, they allow you to create subscriber groups/segments. Only want to send an email to a select group of subscribers? No problem. You can create and name a group or just individually select certain subscribers! This is a great feature to send an email to a new subscriber and just that new subscriber.
  • Their Reports/Analytics system is also helps to show you if your emails are gaining the attention of your subscribers. It shows the Click Rate and Open Rate for all of the campaigns/emails you have sent. It's a great way to learn about what emails are working and what's not.
  • No dislikes so far! It's free to use until you amass 2,000 subscribers! I'm not there yet, so I'm loving MailChimp!
I used to send hand typed emails to ALL (yes all) of my customers concerning sales, new product announcements and more. Not only was that tedious, but some of my customers may or may not wanted to have me doing that. So by using MailChimp to run my Newsletter, now my customers can choose if they want to hear more news from me. And MailChimp's automation allows me send my emails to my customers with a click of a button!
Read Daryl Wise Jr.'s full review
Aleia Walker profile photo
October 10, 2018

Review: "MailChimp - paid version ok, not great for beginners not wanting to invest $$"

• MailChimp makes designing emails easy with their drag and drop systems.
  • MailChimp makes designing emails easy with all of their template options.
  • MailChimp does not allow unpaid users to send out funnels as automations. This is a big fail and 90% of the reason for having an email list!
  • MailChimp doesn't allow for a ton of customization on the landing pages.
For paid plans, MailChimp is acceptable but the free version is lacking in a lot of substance and I would suggest getting started with another email service provider.
Read Aleia Walker's full review
Megan Sullivan profile photo
July 19, 2018

User Review: "User-Friendly MailChimp"

• The system is very to learn therefore you can get up and running quickly.
  • It provides easy setup of campaigns.
  • It allows for basic metrics on how your campaigns perform.
  • It would be great if you could set up campaigns for multiple locations as one campaign instead of individual campaigns.
MailChimp is a well suited for small businesses as a way to kick off your Email Marketing Program.
Read Megan Sullivan's full review
Jean Mwelsa profile photo
April 26, 2018

MailChimp Review: "The modern marketer's personal friend."

MailChimp is used by the marketing department at my company. We have strictly used this tool to send email newsletters to thousands of our customers. These newsletters are important to the marketing department, as it serves as a cheap but effective medium for the marketing team to ensure our brand stays in the face of our customers, even during periods when they aren't using our services.
The modern-day customer has so many brands being put in their faces, and it is the brand whom they see or hear from on a regular basis, that they eventually patronize whenever they need the type of service they offer.
  • Compatible email templates; MailChimp email templates fit all device screen sizes perfectly. From smartphones, tablets, iPads, and PC. This makes it possible for every reader of our newsletters to get a perfect experience while reading our emails.
  • Multi-template; As a user of MailChimp, I am provided with multiple newsletter templates to choose from, ensuring I am able to personalize each newsletter designs to be different from the one of past, without the need to always beckon on the graphic design team for input.
  • Analytical insights; MailChimp provides us with vital reporting stats regarding the performance of our email campaigns. Thereby giving us the means to refine and optimize our email marketing campaigns, to make it more effective.
  • Poor customer support: There have been few occasions when we encountered issues while using this program. It was always very difficult to contact the team behind this program; and the times when we were able to get across to them, it took days to even get a response. While users are provided with tons of support materials, it is always important for users to be able to reach out to a real human for complaints and suggestions.
  • Inconsistency in UI: MailChimp is inconsistent with how they regularly alter their user interface with every update, which can be annoying and requires the team to relearn the software navigation after every new update.
MailChimp is perfect for email newsletters as it provides marketing teams with everything they expect from an email marketing solution like analytics, ease of use, high inbox email delivery ratio, out of the box newsletter templates etc

MailChimp is the ideal solution for companies who need to send large email volumes. MailChimp is able to send thousands of emails at a go, in a matter of seconds.

Personally, MailChimp is the go-to solution for any form of email marketing. As it has a high deliverability ratio, very affordable, and also provides users with very important stats like how many of our email recipients opened our mail, and how many left it unopened, the number of clicks generated by the content in our marketing emails etc.

Read Jean Mwelsa's full review
Rob Abid profile photo
April 24, 2018

MailChimp Review: "Good, Almost Great"

I appreciate the ability to track analytics through MailChimp. Since using MailChimp, we have increased our reach using email communication to our audience and been able to measure the most effective ways to reach our demographic. Moreover, the ability to test emails at different times of day to see what will perform better has been a great asset! Additionally, the ability for folks to unsubscribe directly in the email is invaluable, especially when emailing 6,000+ students.
  • Providing analytics. The data derived from MailChimp has been useful in crafting and adjusting our electronic communications to our audience. Particularly, the click rate of links and the open rate of the emails.
  • Style of emails. The presentation of the finished product looks polished and professional. Since using MailChimp, our engagement with electronic communication has significantly increased.
  • I really appreciate the ability to schedule emails in the future. I can create an email campaign to go out a week in advance. I used to have to set a calendar reminder to send our communication. This has eliminated the issue of forgetting to send the email and allowed for me to write and plan ahead.
  • I wish there was a way for me to go into an old email campaign and be able to edit it after it has sent, or copy/duplicate it for future use. Different from a template in the sense that I often send repeat information, and being able to make a copy of a previous campaign would be more ideal than creating a new campaign using a template. If this exists, it's not easily found for me.
  • Designing email templates takes longer than I think it should. It can be a bit clunky to design the template and get it the way you want it, navigating the set up process. Similar difficulties exist when selecting font or style of text, headlines, etc.
In my experience, MailChimp is great for promoting a product or brand on a regular basis. I use it in Higher Education to communicate about Student Organizations to Student Leaders on a bi-monthly basis. It works well when you have multiple, large audiences you are trying to communicate with. You can keep your lists in one place and send communication easier. MailChimp is not useful for small email campaigns. I'd say if you're emailing less than 100 individuals, this service is not ideal for you. Additionally, if you're not communicating at least once a month, it is not money well spent. On the other end, I would say communicating more than once a week is overboard, and will adversely affect your purpose for using the platform.
Read Rob Abid's full review
Vicki Lesage profile photo
April 23, 2018

Review: "MailChimp is easy to use and affordable -- you'll be up and running in no time!"

We use MailChimp internally and also recommend it to our clients, where appropriate. It's a great way for clients to get into email marketing with minimal commitment as they learn the ropes and grow their subscriber list. As their needs and subscriber base grows, MailChimp can grow with them. Internally, just our marketing department uses it, and we find the same is true with our clients. MailChimp helps solves the business problem of how to stay in touch with your audience reliably and affordable.
  • Mobile-friendly email templates -- You can always trust that MailChimp's templates will work well across the most common email clients and devices. Much more efficient than hand-coding!
  • Easy-to-use WYSIWYG editors -- You can do almost anything you want in an email with MailChimp's easy WYSIWYG interface.
  • Customizing the sign-up process -- You can brand each page and make it look good while still keeping it streamlined.
  • I think the pop-ups (to encourage users to sign up to your mailing list) could have more flexibility in their design. I was designing one the other day and it had limited choices for the image sizes, so I had to play around with it quite a bit to get it to look good.
  • It's great that they now integrate with Facebook Ads but the reporting is really basic and I find it hard to make changes mid-campaign. For example, I have not been able to find aggregate stats -- I have to hover over the number of each day in the chart and add up the stats for the month. And you cannot extend a campaign more than 3 days before it ends, so you better remember to mark your calendar and update it before it ends with you!
  • The list segmenting is pretty basic. I can do a few of the things I want but nothing too complex at the same time.
I think MailChimp is perfect for small business and newbies because it's the easiest email marketing platform around. You can get up and running quickly and affordably (in most cases even free) and try things out. So many times clients think they want a huge marketing automation platform, and while that could be right for them, I think it's better to start with small, achievable goals and go from there. Send your first email. Get your first subscriber form in place. Learn the ropes and see what works for your business. Then decide if you want to upgrade to MailChimp's more robust features or perhaps graduate to a different (more expensive) platform. For a large business or one with a lot of experience in email marketing, I still think MailChimp can be great because it's very powerful and integrates with nearly everything.
Read Vicki Lesage's full review
Jessica Meadows Rich profile photo
April 19, 2018

MailChimp Review: "A funny name but a serious e-marketing solution!"

MailChimp is used by our marketing department in support of our curriculum team to send newsletters and follow-up emails to students. We are able to use MailChimp to communicate directly with those students who have asked us to contact them regarding new programs or programs they had requested. We also use MailChimp to follow up with students to ask them to complete feedback surveys regarding programs they have completed.
  • Easy to Import Contacts: MailChimp accepts a number of files and formats, so no matter where your contacts are currently, you'll likely be able to import them fairly quickly without much issue.
  • Customization options: There are templates to choose that can allow you to fairly easily make your design look like it's yours. If you happen to also have access to a graphic designer, then you can really take advantage of the customization options to make the design match your brand.
  • Analytics: Being able to review data points like open rates and click-thru has allowed us to improve our communications and reach more people.
  • Backend organization: I'm used to it now but initially it was very difficult to navigate the dashboard. I still get confused from time to time and have difficulty finding what I'm looking for. The organization just isn't very intuitive.
  • The payment structure and credit system are incredibly confusing. We use the free version but had at one point considered paying for the full version. We had difficulty understanding how many credits we needed and abandoned the idea.
We use the free option of MailChimp, which means some features aren't available to us. However, as a nonprofit organization, the ability to communicate with our learners directly for free means we are able to focus on our mission and not worry about the bottom line. I feel that the free version is incredibly robust and has almost all that we need. The only issue is that we are limited to sending 1,000 emails a day. This fits our needs and we've been able to work around this limitation; however, if you have a much larger contact list and are sending daily emails, then the free version wouldn't be for you.
Read Jessica Meadows Rich's full review
Megan Russell profile photo
April 19, 2018

Review: "MailChimp is perfect for nonprofits and small businesses."

I own a small local bakery. The majority of my resell and also customer communications happens in MailChimp. I am a huge advocate for digital communications especially since most people are on their phones or computer daily. It's so easy to confirm orders, reach out to customers, and even update them on new products being released.

Email marketing is a great way to engage with new or current customers and using MailChimp has made this very easy for me to do. MailChimp is perfect for my small operation. My customer base is smaller but what I love about the software is that my features are not limited. Usually, the basic software levels will skimp you on features but MailChimp does a good job of still offering you tool to do the most important email marketing tasks such as one-off email campaigns, email automation, building customer contact segments to send a targeted communication, and so much more. If you are a small business like me I recommend using MailChimp as an affordable solution for your email marketing needs.
  • Email campaigns - the template builder is easy to use and easy to customize.
  • Email Automation - This feature is also easy to set up and base off of a date, a segment, a list or much more.
  • Something that is different and I really enjoy is that MailChimp sign up forms ask for birthdays, and you can set up email automation based on birthdays. for someone who is trying to do customer appreciation, having a built-in birthday date or automation option is so great.
  • I wish their WordPress plugin form was better. It's really not as pretty as other forms.
MailChimp is best suited for people who are waiting to communicate with their customer base on an automated level as well as on one-off basis. I wouldn't say that MailChimp should be used by someone who is just trying to email 3 or 4 people, like if they were trying to keep communication with their board members for a nonprofit. That would be the kind of task that could be accomplished in your personal email account. But if you were a nonprofit this would be a great way to reach out to donors and keep them up to speed with what is going on with your Org, how to get involved, etc.
Read Megan Russell's full review
Joshua Burcham profile photo
May 22, 2018

User Review: "I'm bananas for MailChimp."

I use MailChimp to manage email marketing campaigns for several of my clients. Most of my clients are high-end fine art and antique dealers. We use MailChimp to communicate with their existing customers about new acquisitions, upcoming events, sales, etc. We also use it to segment customer based on interest, so we can target emails directly to people who are most likely to be interested in the content.
  • Makes designing eye-catching emails easy. Their drag-and-drop system makes it very easy to design and rearrange the content blocks, and be confident that it's going to look great on almost all email clients.
  • Managing email lists. I have integrated MailChimp with two customer management systems that makes it easy and automatic to add new email addresses to the MailChimp lists.
  • Making sign-up forms on websites. MailChimp generates the code needed to embed an email newsletter sign-up form on your website.
  • Because MailChimp is so popular they integrate with lots of systems. For example, there are numerous WordPress plug-ins that integrate MailChimp into your website.
  • A/B testing with MailChimp is also really easy. I commonly A/B test subject lines. They automatically use the winning subject line to send out to the remainder of my recipients.
  • When editing an email you have to edit the text in a panel in the sidebar. I would prefer if you could type and format directly in the preview pane as you can with some competitors.
  • They don't offer a "live view" of people opening the emails around the world. Some competitors do this. It's more of a gimmick than a useful reporting tool, but my clients love to watch it.
MailChimp is perfect for small businesses looking to easily stay in touch with clients via email. They offer lots of options regarding segmentation and automatic emails. They can also help with landing pages and pay per client advertising. Businesses looking to customize individual emails might be better off using the email capabilities of a CRM.
Read Joshua Burcham's full review
Charles Naud profile photo
April 25, 2018

MailChimp Review: "Simple and Easy for Quick Wins"

We're a start-up company (less than 20 employees) using MailChimp for all our marketing outreach communications. We send sales campaigns through MailChimp as well as weekly newsletters to our SaaS platform users to inform them about company and industry news. MailChimp is being used by two people in our sales & marketing team. MailChimp makes it simple for us to send professionally designed emails with multiple types of content to better engage our stakeholders.
  • The user interface is very simple to use and makes it easy to send out a professionally designed email in minutes
  • The integration to our CRM systems means we don't need to worry about who we've sent emails to and aligning our databases
  • The integration to our website sign ups helps to easily manage visitors who sign up to our newsletters
  • Managing of different lists can be tricky
  • HTML issues in the email creator sometimes generate font style errors in the email
  • The analytics section needs improvement. For example, the click-throughs can't be easily tracked over a large list of recipients
Very suited to a small team with limited resources to spend on designing campaigns: this tool will do the trick for anyone, without prior knowledge or experience needed. MailChimp is probably less suited to larger companies with complex outreach cadences or multiple recipient lists. The email template and tools can be limiting for an experienced marketing designer.
Read Charles Naud's full review
Jeff Huisjen profile photo
April 20, 2018

User Review: "MailChimp performs admirably!"

We use Mailchimp as a ministry to contact and update the parents of our students, as well as our volunteers. MailChimp allows us to easily set up e-mail lists that we can add people to ourselves OR have people sign up for via an easy to use link. The process of segmenting lists and/or having separate lists to send different e-mail to has been an easy way for us to communicate to our different groups. For example we have a list of all the parents who receive our e-mails and within that list we have segments that separate middle school student parents from high school parents, parents of male students from parents of female students, etc. We also have a completely separate list for mailing just our volunteers and that is segmented as well.

We are also able to design and manage a number of different templates depending on the type of e-mail that needs to be sent out. We have templates for general weekly e-mails to parents, e-mails to leaders, special announcement e-mails, as well as a template that we use to announce specific events. Overall, MailChimp is an easy to use and effective communication tool that allows us to quickly contact our leaders and parents with clean, easy to read e-mails.
  • List management is easy to do and fairly intuitive
  • Template design and creation functions solidly and allows you to tailor your e-mails to specific groups
  • The tracking metrics allow you to see who's opening your e-mails and how many clicks you get from within them.
  • MailChimp sometimes struggles to embed videos well
  • Because of the nature of an e-mail from MailChimp, mail often ends up in the "Promotion" folder in Gmail
  • Occasionally during template design it can be a struggle to get your template to look EXACTLY how you envision
MailChimp easily meets our communication needs for the fairly simple e-mails we send out each week or for the less regular special announcement and event e-mails. As with any communication tool, however, MailChimp has the capacity to become too much and overwhelm readers or cause them to check out. Self editing in regards to length of e-mail and content is always necessary.
Read Jeff Huisjen's full review
Mari Marks Mondanelli profile photo
April 19, 2018

MailChimp Review: "I don't use anything else!"

We needed a way to share updates on new inventory, events, and information with our client base. We also wanted a way to grow our client base. We wanted to engage our current clients and hoped to increase business and client list as well. We use MailChimp to send out monthly newsletters with updates to our clients. It is used by our gallery department, which represents 2 locations. We have found it very easy to use and successful.
  • MailChimp is easy to use. I appreciate how it shows you a preview of your email, and allows you to send test emails before sending the final one out. I really enjoy that we can link our social media pages as well as create links to our website and more.
  • There are many different ways to format our emails, with great options like images, images with captions, text boxes, space dividers and image blocks.
  • Importing new emails is super easy
  • I wish we could create different button colors for the link buttons instead of just the light aqua blue.
  • Often when I upload an image into an image box, there is a black line on the right side and bottom of my image (on the border) I can never seem to make it go away, and it can disrupt the look of my email.
I use MailChimp and receive emails from others who use MailChimp. I think it's a great way to get information out to a lot of people. If you want to send a similar / duplicated email with the same format you've already used, their duplicate template feature is great for this scenario and allows you to be cohesive with your brand/company.
Read Mari Marks Mondanelli's full review
Fabian Kuhn profile photo
December 28, 2017

Review: "Why MailChimp is probably the best allrounder newsletter tool on the market right now"

MailChimp is used by our B2B business department as well as our PR and design team. We're using it as newsletter tool for all of our contact lists in those areas. Additionally, we're even sending an internal employee newsletter once per month via MailChimp.

Due to the fact that we're communicating to customers in multiple languages, the segmentation features of MC also help us a great deal.
  • Easy and fun to use UI which makes newsletter creation a matter of minutes.
  • Mighty segmentation features which make it possible to have one big list of subscribers which you then simply split via segments (e.g. for language, location, interests, gender, ...)
  • Good user management with different roles to make sure that e.g. a lot of people can create new campaigns but only a few can send them.
  • The categorization of campaigns is a little bit confusing. This often causes small problems because users don't know which campaign is meant for which segment / customer group.
  • Bounce rate is still a little bit high for some clients.
  • Responsive layouts don't always work out perfectly yet (especially on smartphones).
Well suited scenarios:
  • General newsletter tool for sending out a lot of campaigns to a lot of different customer groups.
  • Managing newsletters in multiple languages.
  • Have insights about the ROI of your campaigns after sending (connection to google analytics required).

Less appropriate for:
  • Sending single e-mails or e-mails with a very small recipient count. It also works of course but the effort for creating campaigns would simply be too big for that.
Read Fabian Kuhn's full review
Hilda Adeniji profile photo
January 31, 2018

"MailChimp Review"

I use MailChimp for both internal and external newsletter. It is a great tool to monitor engagement, create customized templates, and advertising for a larger reach. It is also more cost effective than our print / mail publications. It is used mostly by our marketing team.
  • Tracking
  • Integration
  • Responsive Design
  • Customer support response time
  • More flexibility with survey integration into layout
  • Integration with tools like Canva
[MailChimp is well suited for] email outreach and engagement.
Read Hilda Adeniji's full review
January 03, 2018

MailChimp Review: "Great product, but make sure a price fits you!"

We use Mailchimp for a number of reasons, mostly for warming up the leads before contacting them the first time. Additionally, we produce a monthly newsletter every month, for each of the demographics, in which we deliver all of the updates of our software and website content updates.
Also, for any bigger updates about our software, like API integration we will send separate campaigns for. We use it for maintaining and managing our newsletter subscribers too. We have used MailChimp API integration to add multiple promotional features to our site, and our blog.
  • Template creation with a visual builder is very easy! It is easy to navigate and you know... A chimp can do it!
  • Anyone with more knowledge of HTML can utilise their plain text feature, where you can code your own.
  • MailChimp keeps good track of mailing lists.
  • Reports are easy to read, and gives basic stats at a click of the button.
  • If you have bigger mailing lists and would like to keep them all, it can get very expensive, fast!
  • MailChimp doesn't have good drip mail features.
  • Their API for integration to your site can be painful, any additional pop-ups, also will slow down your site dramatically if it's not wordpress, or especially if it lacks flexibility in terms of code.
  • Some HTML coding features are not as simple as they should be, as even an avid coder will swear at the programme.

Good for monthly newsletters, where it is a cost-effective medium for building relationships and maintaining regular contact with customers and prospects.

Well suited for campaign mailshots, and it is great if you are an e-commerce business. Makes goal tracking and ROI traceability amazing.

Not the best at drip features, it can be hard to get ROI traceability (direct goal tracking) if you are service or B2B based.

April 13, 2018

User Review: "Happy Campaigning with MailChimp"

Apart from my full-time job as an Analyst, I volunteer at a non-profit as Secretary. I use MailChimp every day to handle communication to about 1500 subscribers. Any events related to the non-profit will be sent to all the subscribers through campaigns. I design all the campaigns and send them personally. We send about 20 to 25 campaigns in a month, and every campaign will go to all the subscribers (about 1500) in the list.
  • Easy to use and I can see test campaigns
  • Predefined templates
  • Can send to many with one click
  • Scheduling is the best feature, can schedule all the campaigns to a later date and time
  • Only image files can be embedded in the email, allowing pdfs will be helpful
  • Many of our subscribers say they do not receive emails, when they have different email domains like cox.net etc., at times we do not understand how to help them
  • Mobile app, editing an email subject or campaign name is not possible, and that is a big disappointment
MailChimp is very useful when you need to send information one way like campaigns/newsletters and you have many subscribers, where the replies can be channeled to a different email address. If you have fewer subscribers or the communication is with colleagues or friends, then MailChimp may not be the best idea.
Antonio Lorenzo profile photo
December 04, 2017

MailChimp Review: "Best free service for small company, easy to use and time saving"

Starting and following an email marketing campaign is easier with MailChimp. I found it easy to use and I immediately understood the tools and ways of using the platform. It also helps me to track down the success of my campaigns, and also which user are more active than others in reading and reacting to my campaign.
  • You can schedule emails to deliver at a specific time (even for each time zone).
  • You can see who's reading it and who's deleting them. Also who reacts better by clicking the links and pics inside your email.
  • With the free version you have all the right tools to build up great email marketing campaigns.
  • You can send the campaign to a segment of your list.
  • I find limits on the design side. You can use templates but sometimes you need freedom on the design, and you don't have it.
I think that MailChimp is one of the best email marketing services available as an online platform, because it's free and because it's easy to use by anyone, regardless of their experience. I started knowing nothing about email marketing or about the platform. I helped myself with the mailchimp blog and some blog posts on the internet. I managed to do all the work thanks to the simplicity of MailChimp. (Also they offer a great little gift for Christmas!). I think it's the best for a little company that has to manage with not a lot of time many things (including and email marketing campaign).
Read Antonio Lorenzo's full review
Seth Tucker profile photo
June 28, 2017

Review: "I'm not monkeying around, MailChimp is great!"

We have used MailChimp as the primary method for sending out email announcements for new product features, and some blog posts. All of our free trial sign-ups also get synced into our MailChimp account, as well as all of the system users and their emails get synced into MailChimp so we can send email blasts for any system wide announcements.
  • What MailChimp does really well is what it was originally designed to do: manage email lists and segment email lists. Sounds silly, but not email providers are good at being able to segment lists, or their functions to accomplish it are clunky.
  • Our development team really enjoys MailChimp because the API is easy to work with, so we can sync our system users into MailChimp for sending email blasts. This ties into the list segmenting, because not all users are the same, and don't always need the same announcements.
  • We don't enjoy setting up the automated email sequences. I personally find the process that MailChimp has to be very frustrating, and I find a lot of the instructions can be very difficult to read. The instructions are written well, but I feel like the voice of the help articles is just too short and sweet. Since setting up the sequences isn't as intuitive as I think it should be, it takes time to setup the sequences the way I would like to which can be a little frustrating.
MailChimp overall is a great solution, but for anyone that isn't very technical, I don't recommend them. I find that people who aren't tech savvy end up being very overwhelmed by MailChimp, and easily get confused. Otherwise, I generally recommend MailChimp as primary email marketing provider for people to use.
Read Seth Tucker's full review
Michelle Hidalgo profile photo
December 08, 2017

Review: "MailChimp is a great marketing solutions software"

MailChimp is being used overall for my company and I work for the Foundation and we use this as well to send monthly e-blasts to all our members or specific audiences. It's a fast, user-friendly template and it's very easy to send emails for any need while including social media, video links.
  • MailChimp makes it very easy to send emails to our members and donors. We currently send a personalized email to members to conduct marketing research.
  • It provides detailed response, open rates and other email statistics.
  • The template is easy to use and you may include images, social media icons and video links.
  • The template designs could be more updated and visually appealing. The template is limited and doesn't leave much room for versatility.
  • It would be great if you could upload videos directly in the email and not just link them to YouTube.
  • No email, chat support unless you are a paid user.
MailChimp is great for marketing and fundraising needs. It really suits all email and communication needs unless you need something such as video embedding within emails or more advanced technology. I currently send monthly e-blasts to our members and donors while including large visuals, video links, social media icons, and links.
Read Michelle Hidalgo's full review
Jeff Moriarty profile photo
August 08, 2017

Review: "MailChimp - You Can Beat the Options for the Price!"

I not only use this for my 9-5 SEO job, but use it for clients as well. It allows us to send emails to all of our customers very easily. There are also some nice automated features that you can integrate with any platform that you are using for your website.
  • Email Creation - Very easy to create emails. Drag and drop.
  • Pricing - You can't beat the price. If you are a small business with less than 2,000 customers, it is free!
  • Deliverability - We have never had any issues with emails getting into inboxes.
  • Triggers/Automation - To compete with some of the bigger email platforms, they need more triggers and automation options.
  • Better Support - There is only email and chat support. Phone support would be nice.
  • Better Multistore Support - Better options for companies that are handling multiple websites in one account.
Great for small to medium sized businesses. Large companies would be better suited for more expensive and powerful solutions such as Bronto, Zaius, Springbot or others on the market. They offer more options, but with that, comes a higher price tag. But if you are a large company, the amount of money you can make should cover it.
Read Jeff Moriarty's full review
Tony Phan profile photo
June 21, 2017

MailChimp Review: "An Easy Way to Master Email Marketing Campaign"

Mailchimp is used to send promotional deals/offers to nearly 6,000 subscribers of our e-commerce platform and mainly used by the marketing department. This allows us to send promotion details to our customers on time and promptly as well as allows us to analyze the engagement data of those promotion details. This is very important since when you perform a marketing activity, you would want to know its effectiveness and performance rate.
  • Approved bulk mailer. Most email services and Internet service providers (ISP) limit the number of emails you can send at one time. This is to prevent spamming. With a tool like MailChimp, you can send an email to an unlimited number of recipients at one time.
  • Compatible with various email readers and devices. MailChimp gives your recipients the option to read your emails in fully-styled HTML or text only. They can also click a link to read the email in a web browser instead of their email.
  • Know if people are reading your emails.
  • Dig up & change the specific defaults or dig up a very specific piece of data can be frustrating. It’s all buried on second screens and/or specific workflows.
  • MailChimp reserves the right to suspend or cancel your account which gives you a disadvantage while you are paying for the service but yet they have the right to refuse to serve.
  • You pretty much have to create your own templates. If you want your email to look good, you have to do it yourself. Their template is not attractive enough to attract sales.
It is really useful when you can see the performance of an email blast campaign in real time. And not only can you track your own analytics, but you can also see how your metrics compare to other MailChimp users to see if you’re really getting the most out of all of your efforts. These datas are extremely important for marketers to adjust and add in what they are lack of in order to achieve better business objectives (example: sales volume)
Read Tony Phan's full review
Marissa White profile photo
September 15, 2017

Review: "MailChimp - Excellent way to send information and track"

I am a consultant and use mailchimp to send a regular newsletter.
  • Excellent integration with other tools (Wordpress, Hubspot, etc)
  • Super easy to edit and use
  • Fantastic price - £0!
It tracks opens and clicks, if you do this with much more volume perhaps marketing automation makes sense.
Read Marissa White's full review
Toby Mei profile photo
August 23, 2017

MailChimp Review: "A nice email marketing tool with features and integration"

We use MailChimp to send out marketing/sales emails to our customers and subscribers. We have several segmented lists on MailChimp. Once in a while we use the sign up form to collect basic information from the subscribers at some events.
  • Simple UI to navigate. very clean design.
  • Integration with commonly used marketing and eCommerce platforms. Integrated with HubSpot, Salesforce, BigCommerce...
  • Easy to manage lists.
  • Can't send out one email to multiple lists. Have to choose one at a time.
  • Can't remove a block in the template once the template is selected for the campaign.
  • When it comes to emails on mobile screen, it's a bit harder to adjust the design elements than the desktop version.
A nice email marketing tool to start with, packed with most common features and integrations. Simple and easy to use and create campaigns, manage lists.
Read Toby Mei's full review

WYSIWYG email editor (58)
Dynamic content (53)
Ability to test dynamic content (52)
Landing pages (33)
A/B testing (46)
Mobile optimization (55)
Email deliverability (61)
List management (61)
Triggered drip sequences (34)
Dashboards (60)
Standard reports (62)
Custom reports (39)

About MailChimp

MailChimp is a marketing automation platform. Millions of customers, from small e-commerce shops to big online retailers, use MailChimp to reach their customers and grow their business. The product's features and integrations allow you to send marketing emails, automated transactional messages, and targeted ad campaigns. Detailed reports help you see how much money you're making and how many customers you're gaining with each marketing effort.