Mailchimp Reviews

1946 Ratings

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2021

April 10, 2021
Vicki Lesage | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use MailChimp internally and also recommend it to our clients, where appropriate. It's a great way for clients to get into email marketing with minimal commitment as they learn the ropes and grow their subscriber list. As their needs and subscriber base grows, MailChimp can grow with them. Internally, just our marketing department uses it, and we find the same is true with our clients. MailChimp helps solves the business problem of how to stay in touch with your audience reliably and affordable.
  • Mobile-friendly email templates -- You can always trust that MailChimp's templates will work well across the most common email clients and devices. Much more efficient than hand-coding!
  • Easy-to-use WYSIWYG editors -- You can do almost anything you want in an email with MailChimp's easy WYSIWYG interface.
  • Customizing the sign-up process -- You can brand each page and make it look good while still keeping it streamlined.
  • I think the pop-ups (to encourage users to sign up to your mailing list) could have more flexibility in their design. I was designing one the other day and it had limited choices for the image sizes, so I had to play around with it quite a bit to get it to look good.
  • It's great that they now integrate with Facebook Ads but the reporting is really basic and I find it hard to make changes mid-campaign. For example, I have not been able to find aggregate stats -- I have to hover over the number of each day in the chart and add up the stats for the month. And you cannot extend a campaign more than 3 days before it ends, so you better remember to mark your calendar and update it before it ends with you!
  • The list segmenting is pretty basic. I can do a few of the things I want but nothing too complex at the same time.
I think MailChimp is perfect for small business and newbies because it's the easiest email marketing platform around. You can get up and running quickly and affordably (in most cases even free) and try things out. So many times clients think they want a huge marketing automation platform, and while that could be right for them, I think it's better to start with small, achievable goals and go from there. Send your first email. Get your first subscriber form in place. Learn the ropes and see what works for your business. Then decide if you want to upgrade to MailChimp's more robust features or perhaps graduate to a different (more expensive) platform. For a large business or one with a lot of experience in email marketing, I still think MailChimp can be great because it's very powerful and integrates with nearly everything.
I would have given it a higher rating a while ago, but some of the recent changes make it harder to find things. "List" is now called "Audience" and it's almost too broad; I'd rather be able to drill into an individaul list and see what is going on with each (who is subscribed, which forms I have set up, etc.). In the same vein, it takes lots of clicks to get to things that seem like they should be easier to find. If you want to change the default MailChimp logo that appears at the bottom of your emails and sign up pages, there are 3 different places you need to do so, none of which are immediately obvious. Creating emails is relatively easy, though.
We haven't really used the all-in-one plaform capabilities, other than Facebook advertising. Some of our clients just don't need those services, while others already have other tools in place to handle that. I would like to give a few of them a try at some point, but we (and our clients) just haven't had the need yet.
Read Vicki Lesage's full review
April 08, 2021
Jason Carlage | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use MailChimp across our small sales organization to send email campaigns to current and potential customers. It helps us to email hundreds or thousands of people at one time, and save contact lists so we can send different campaigns to different groups. It also provides us with important analytics like open and click-rates.
  • Sending email campaigns. It's extremely easy and efficient to create campaigns with templates or on your own, and repeat those campaigns so you don't have to recreate them every time.
  • Customer service. They actually only have chat and email support, but I've utilized the chat function numerous times and rarely waited more than a few minutes. Everyone I've chatted with has been extremely competent and a few folks actually went into my campaigns and helped me create them.
  • Analytics. It's very important to have the open and click rates of campaigns, and you can download the list of people who opened your campaigns and what links they clicked, and which links.
  • Phone support. While the chat function is extremely effective, it can be helpful with certain questions to speak with someone over the phone.
  • I'd like the ability to unsubscribe someone to all campaigns. Currently, if someone unsubscribes to a campaign, they will never receive that exact campaign again. But if their email address is on multiple lists or gets added on another list by someone who is unaware that they unsubscribed, that person will receive another email. Many recipients have been angered by this, telling me that the unsubscribed - which they did - but I have to explain that the process is not universal, and sometimes we forget to include the "exclude" list.
  • The payment structure goes by the number of email addresses that are stored on Mailchimp, so to stay below a certain billing threshold, I have to periodically delete lists of stored email addresses. This gets to be cumbersome because I regularly need to delete and re-upload many of the same lists of people.
Mailchimp is terrific for any organization that is looking to send email campaigns to a large group of people, send multiple email campaigns to a variety of lists, and create campaigns with a variety of text and graphic options. If most of the email outreach an organization does is individual outreach, or if mass emailing is more periodic, it might be best to utilize the free mail merge functions of Gmail.
Read Jason Carlage's full review
March 21, 2021
Carmen Rodriguez | TrustRadius Reviewer
Mailchimp is used in our company as the main platform to create, administer and manage all kinds of advertising campaigns. This platform is impressive, since it has a quite comfortable campaign creation and you can also manage several campaigns at the same time thanks to the comprehensive panel that it offers, a panel where you can view the progress of each of the campaigns in real time and what traffic each of those campaigns is generating. MailChimp has been a key platform for the advancement of our company in the sales and advertising sector, because it has allowed us to send campaigns more easily and has also helped us to offer a more optimized design in the campaigns we send to our customers. We are grateful for the services that MailChimp has provided us and for the ability it has had to help us manage all types of campaigns in a simple way.
  • One of the things that I love about MailChimp is the wide variety of templates that it offers me to apply to each of the campaigns that I am building. MailChimp offers me templates with an excellent design, with very good colors and that allow me to obtain a better organization of the information that each campaign will have.
  • I love the way MailChimp allows me to monitor and evaluate the impact of each campaign we've sent. For us, it is too important to be attentive to the progress of each campaign, since this way we will know the access that customers have had to that campaign. MailChimp allows us to have real-time monitoring and also allows us to view the client's access to the campaign in detail.
  • It has excellent integration with the Facebook and Twitter service, which has helped us a lot, since on some occasions we carry out campaigns for a general public and not for specific clients, and this fantastic integration has allowed us to quickly disseminate those campaigns with all the public that follows our social networks.
  • One of the negative reviews that I must mention about MailChimp is the fact that the free trial it offers is quite limited. Currently this free trial does not allow users to create follow-up messages to contacts, this means that it is impossible for automated messages to be created that work through the actions of each client. I would like this free trial to be more complete and allow that function to be performed, as this would capture the attention of new users and allow them to fully test the platform.
  • On some occasions we have had problems with MailChimp's anti-spam system. When we send public campaigns through our social networks, sometimes we receive false accesses to our campaigns by bots or malicious people, which directly affects the impact or traffic that we can collect in a campaign. I wish I could have a better anti-spam system to protect me from this.
I would definitely recommend MailChimp to anyone considering implementing it in their business. This software is the appropriate one to have a general control of all the advertising campaigns that are in progress, in addition, it allows to see detailed information about each campaign, such as: how many clients have accessed, how many clients have not accessed, how many clients have received it And many other things. Despite the fact that MailChimp has a slightly poorly optimized anti-spam system, I think it is a platform that can be used to the maximum and great things can be achieved which help to send campaigns progressively to customers. With MailChimp, campaign creation is very simple as it has a "drag and drop" campaign creator which allows you to add information with just one click.
I have had an overall pleasant experience with MailChimp help and all the services it has provided. It is great to be able to organize and manage various campaigns with the support of all my colleagues, since currently this platform allows my colleagues to also manage the advertising campaigns that are in progress. I am very happy to be using this great platform for managing advertising campaigns, its UI is quite fluid and I have the ability to see the progress of all my campaigns from the same section in the MailChimp panel.
Our company has benefited greatly from this great all-in-one platform, as we have been able to greatly expand our advertising system, and we have also gained the ability to reach more people. MailChimp offers us the ability to create all kinds of ads, send them to social networks, create postcards and much more from one place. MailChimp has not only allowed us to manage the advertising campaigns of our company, but it has also allowed us to have a broad visualization of the advertising progress we are having, with MailChimp we have been able to see how everything takes shape, the trend that our marketing sector is taking and much more.
Read Carmen Rodriguez's full review
March 21, 2021
Ramon Khan | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Mailchimp to handle email newsletters and also to manage email signup as well as automated email sequences. They have a robust set of features and are very well priced for what they offer.
  • Pricing structure
  • Number of features
  • Number of templates that you can use
  • Can be a little difficult to set up for new people
I really like Mailchimp to set up and manage newsletters and auto-response sequences. If you ever need to do any kind of mass mailing its good for that as well.
Usability is good but the implementation can be a little tricky as its not as intuitive as some other platforms. That being said, part of the reason is because they are more robust and offer more features so it does make it a little bit more technical than some of the other tools to set up. This can be looked as a pro or a con depending on how you look at it but besides that its great.
I have not taken advantage of some of the new features that Mailchimp has added in the marketing automation besides the email features but its nice to see that they are adding more services which delivers an ever better value for end users.
Read Ramon Khan's full review
Chris Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it primarily for our production department. Our loan officers have automated and one-off campaigns to maintain touch-points with our current and past customers, as well as with the realtors we've worked with. These campaigns may be fired off once per week or triggered by a birthday, holiday, or home anniversary date.
  • They maintain a solid database that constantly updates with each mailing.
  • They have very flexible drip and trigger campaigns that automate processes easily.
  • The have easy import solutions for adding new data to the database.
  • Their interface takes a little getting used to; not expressly clear at first how icons on left side divide out into sub-functions on right.
  • There is a lot of stuff on their pages that sometimes makes it hard to get to what your after; example: the audience dashboard is mostly black & white with a lot of great information, but your eyes don't immediately drive to where you would go to work with the data.
  • Similar to above, their terms sometimes seem mixed as in "View Contacts" and "Manage Audience" with a sub-menu under that says "Manage Contacts."
Mailchimp does a lot for you, despite taking some time to figure it out and all it's multiple functionalities. It's a great tool that should benefit communications with customers and keeping you top-of-mind. It is definitely not as easy as firing off an email to your group of contacts from Outlook, but your return is so much greater.
Again, Mailchimp throws a lot of functionality and analytics at you which is great, but it just needs to do a better job of visually defining the components of that information. Really it's my only issue with them, because I can spend more time than I wish finding the exact functions I want.
It handles them well as our business depends on retaining customers over a longer period of time between business transactions. Between finding new customers and re-marketing previous ones for products that may benefit them with the ever-changing market climates, we can't afford to miss any opportunities with all the competition we face doing the same thing. Mailchimp provides that vehicle for us rather well.
Read Chris Johnson's full review
Mukesh K. Singhmar | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use MailChimp in two ways:

1. For our prospect and customer marketing campaigns.
  2. For our customers -- in the capacity of a B2B marketing agency partner -- to help them run their email campaigns.

It is being used across the whole organization.

The problem we solve with Mailchimp is being able to effectively run automated email campaigns to the various target segments that we do business with. We also use Mailchimp for customer marketing, where we leverage it for the purpose of educating and engaging our existing clients.

At SeeResponse, we are on the "Standard" plan today which allows us the automation functionality. Though as most Mailchimp users we started on their "Forever Free" plan that allows you up to 2,000 contacts, with 10,000 sends per month and a daily limit of 2,000, but gradually as our marketing needs grew we upgraded to "Essentials" and later to the "Standard" plan. We love Mailchimp's "Standard" plan since it allows us to automate our email sequences and includes pre-built journeys and custom-coded templates.
  • Customer journey builder.
  • Email automation.
  • Inbox delivery.
  • Template based email builder isn't as intuitive.
  • The automated journey builder is a bit complex to navigate if you're just starting.
  • Audience management, early on. As you get used to it, it gets easier.
Mailchimp is a great tool for anyone who's looking for an email software that provides great inbox delivery. Their email deliverability is one of the best in the industry. It is also well suited for someone who's getting started with email marketing. Because it comes 'forever free' if you have less than 2,000 contacts and you intend to send less than 10,000 emails it's a great tool to get your feet wet.
With Mailchimp, I'd say early on there's a little bit of a learning curve. But once you get familiar with all the tabs and the features and functionality, it is a very powerful software. Again, we are big fans of email deliverability and Mailchimp never disappoints.
Correct, with Mailchimp you can manage most (if not all) marketing activities within one platform. But we don't use them for everything. The reason being that we have HubSpot as our CRM and it also allows us to do things like forms and landing pages and SEO, so we keep all that within HubSpot and email marketing is something that we rely heavily upon on Mailchimp -- for both the regular outreach campaign and the more automated email sequences that are triggered based on prospect actions.
Read Mukesh K. Singhmar's full review
Andrey Rusev | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Mailchimp as a tool to help us to start providing the external stakeholders with company news, interesting aviation stories and information about health, safety and travel tips.
Mailchimp is used only by the Public Relations and Communication department right now, but our plans are to involve other departments, such Aviation marketing and Commercial, to take part of it.
  • Mailchimp offers easy way to build the desired layout of your emails in according to the latest readers preferences.
  • Employees with less or without any experience with digital marketing tools can easy work with Mailchimp, so other departments can be involved in using it for their own purposes.
  • Starting with Essential paid plan and monthly payment is affordable when you are in the beginning of creating email marketing database.
  • Audience segmentation is done by tags and this help to customize the experience of the readers.
  • Mailchimp can offer annual paid plan for customers who are looking to pay at once or the company accountants insist of paying it.
  • By registering a Mailchimp account with a European company automatically to issue a tax invoice, not just a receipt.
  • Providing extra ways of testing emails especially when company email servers have restrictions when in the subject of the email has the word "test."
For users who need to start their first steps in the email marketing, Mailchimp is my recommendation, and later, when their email list become bigger, it's easy to upgrade to the next monthly plan. It's good that at any moment you can pause the paid plan and activate it again when you are ready and have something to send to your audience.
I gave 9 of 10 because if you are not a regular user of Mailchimp, it's possible after long pausing to figure out that there are changes in the dashboard and logic of using the platform. Sometimes this makes my experience slow and hard and I need time to get used to.
To use all Mailchimp features you are paid for, you need a marketing strategy specially for Mailchimp, before or after paying for a paid plan.
All in one platform is great when you are active and know how to work with the tool.
I'm glad that there are many explanations articles and users to gain experience from them.
Read Andrey Rusev's full review
March 18, 2021
Jon Fauver | TrustRadius Reviewer
[Mailchimp] our primary email service provider and newsletter management tool. Currently also testing their survey function.
  • Simple to use, easy staff onboarding
  • Good delivery, good list management
  • Fast and helpful support
  • Closed ecosystem, not easy to manage with other platforms
  • Pricing can get expensive quickly, similar to hubspot tactics of upselling more advance features.
  • Limited form functionality, difficult to manage more complex leadgen campaigns.
Mailchimp is best suited for SMB businesses just getting started in eCommerce, companies with small lists and simple email strategies (ie monthly newsletters). Mailchimp starts to get expensive and loose functionality at large list sizes and complex lead gen campaigns, requiring solutions like Zapier (added expense) to combine use with other platforms.

Mailchimp has consistently proven to offer a user friendly interface that was easy for our team to use. Great templates, good delivery, great support. OK Reporting, OK list management, OK expanded feature set. The closed eco-system is a bit frustrating, but understandable.
We have a love - hate relationship with the all-in-one marketing platform. It is great to be able to have one go to place and to only have to train staff on one tool however the trade off of the closed eco-system is a high price for tools that are somewhat restrictive. Unless you are "all in" on the Mailchimp platform, integrating with other tools is cumbersome and adds an expense (most likely by design).
Read Jon Fauver's full review
Chris Lesner | TrustRadius Reviewer
Mailchimp is being used by our organization to send mass emails to hundreds of thousands of people. We use it for ourselves and for our clients. It's one of the simplest email clients that you will come across and we typically recommend it to people who just use email as a campaign sending solution that doesn't need to react in too dynamic of a way.
  • Mass emailing
  • Deliverability
  • Easy drag and drop
  • Fairly inexpensive for smaller lists
  • Smarter dynamic drip campaigns
  • Wish it would allow for more list loading without verification
  • Wish it didn't have as many soft bounces to emails that we know are legit and signed up for our email list
If someone needs to send mass emails and guarantee deliverability, Mailchimp is an easy solution for that. If you have purchased lists from external sources, don't consider Mailchimp. They pride themselves on deliverability and won't let their servers get spammed by bad emails. Also they have easy to use drag and drop builders.
They allow you to use their pre-built templates, or easily build your own without needing to know any code. The drag and drop features tend to be easier to work with compared to some of the other platforms and I find that people who are new to email sending or that are looking for something easy, tend to pick this up very quickly.
I would hesitate to say this is an all-in-one marketing platform even at the higher paid tiers. I know a lot of companies use this as their CRM, because they can't afford something like Salesforce, however it definitely shouldn't be used as a CRM. It doesn't replace many marketing functions outside of email. I wouldn't use the landing page feature if you have your own site, as you already have the capabilities on your CMS typically.
Read Chris Lesner's full review
Christopher Page, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
I've used Mailchimp primarily for clients. It serves as a great email repository system when integrating with landing page software. It solves the problem of collecting email address and storing them in a single system.
  • Tagging contacts
  • Audience segmentation
  • Form creation
  • Visual workflow builder (finally implemented recently)
  • Limited functionality with lists
  • Other than that, great beginner platform
For clients just starting their email marketing journey, I recommend Mailchimp. I haven't used it for more advanced clients or clients with larger lists. It's great for newsletter distribution and easy email design. I haven't used their visual workflow builder/automation, but glad to see they finally built that.
Again, great for new email automation users. Very intuitive system with easy to use email builder. Mailchimp has done a great job being a household name for email marketing, like GoDaddy for hosting. It may not be the most advanced email marketing platform, but it does a great job across the board for basic functionality.
I haven't utilized all the systems within Mailchimp to streamline systems, however, I do recognize the value this can add for businesses who want to manage things in house and not necessary have the best of the best, but have an easy experience.
Read Christopher Page, MBA's full review
khayati jain | TrustRadius Reviewer
Mailchimp is being used by our Sales and Marketing team to do the marketing campaigns, email marketing, content creation, EDM and many more materials for marketing. This software helps us to generate the potential leads by running several marketing campaigns depending upon the segmentation, preferences, needs, and desires of the customer.
  • Email Marketing.
  • Content Creation.
  • Automation.
  • Reports Creation.
Mailchimp is [the] best software to do email marketing as it gives us a feature to create our own content with inbuilt templates which is easy to use with the drag and drop facility. We can create content and publish it in a very short span of time. Anyone can use it as it is easy to use and manage. No coding skills [are] required to generate landing pages and getting data from different sources.
Mailchimp is [an] easy to use and interactive software. Anyone who is unaware of coding a HTML or CSS code can also use this software to do marketing and generating leads. This software helps [the] marketing team to generate high potential leads which can easily be converted into opportunities and go to closure.
Mailchimp gives us an all-in-one marketing platform where we can manage the entire marketing process: from creating content for the marketing, to creating an email, to sending an email, to tracking whether an email is opened/clicked or not, to generating reports and analyzing it. Mailchimp makes our life easier by giving all features under one roof which makes this software highly interactive and productive.
Read khayati jain's full review
Alex Chaidaroglou | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Mailchimp to communicate with our existing users about any product updates, news, maintenance etc. It's used primarily by Marketing, even for technical updates. Even on its free plan, it solves our need to communicate with our users at scale and in an automated way, without us having to use our transactional email services.
  • Ease of use
  • Templates and easily accessible lite advanced features
  • Affordable
  • Many people know how to use it, so it's easy to train someone to use it
  • I'd like to see some more advanced features, automations and dripping functionality
  • More email templates are always welcome
  • A little improvement on the design of the UI
Mailchimp is ideal for businesses that want an easy to use, free and quick to set up software, in order to mass communicate with their users or clients. It's also ideal to integrate with your website for visitors who want to sign up to your newsletter, since virtually every CMS has an integration with Mailchimp.

It might not be ideal to run NPS surveys or do advanced email marketing automations.
Mailchimp is highly user-friendly, it's very easy to get started, find everything you need, import your contacts, set up sign up forms, get new employees to use it and broadcast any emails you need to send to your clients or users.

Generally speaking you can find everything you need very easily, maybe only make some advanced features a little bit more visible. But it's very minor
We haven't treated it yet as an all-in-one marketing platform. For example we use Google Suit for our CRM, another tool for our transactional emails and depending on what we want done, for some specific activities we might use other tools or Mailchimp in combination with other tools.

But that's fine, what it does, it does it very well, especially for starters.
Read Alex Chaidaroglou's full review
Genie Forkner | TrustRadius Reviewer
I manage Mailchimp for my clients that choose this email marketing tool. It's simple integration with Wordpress is generally the deciding factor when they choose this platform.
  • Easy to read analytic reports
  • Offers a variety of drag and drop templates that suits the needs for many users
  • A good choice for startups and non-profits working with limited budgets
  • Organization of lists/audiences
  • Offer simpler options to organize contacts at the time of upload
  • Increased contact limits for non-profits
For a micro organization, startups and non profits that have minimal skills in the area of email marketing Mailchimp is a good tool to build some skills. The easy to read analytics offer easy to understand audience insights. The pre-designed templates help create well structured content to increase open rates and conversions.
Organizing audiences and lists is a bit challenging... would like to see improvements that offer more clearly defined steps to organizing uploaded lists. The implementation of a more directed approach to aid beginners in how to build and segment list would be a wonderful addition to this platform.
Because Mailchimp is an all-in-one solution for email marketing I am able to teach/coach my clients in one convenient location. I've saved countless hours by being able to introduce my clients to Mailchimp and help them develop the skills needed to effectively manage their own email marketing and operate independently.
Read Genie Forkner's full review
Mary Monday | TrustRadius Reviewer
We create monthly newsletters on behalf of our marketing client. It is used by the Sales and Marketing department, not the entire company. It's a cost-effective way to communicate with both commercial and residential customers for the company. It was important to have an easy-to-use tool so in-house staff could be trained to use it in a short amount of time on an as needed basis.
  • Embedding video is a simple drag and drop
  • Adding a variety of layout blocks is simple
  • Customizing templates for company branding
  • Would love to have access to the html code
  • Don't have any other issues
If you are looking to have a simple, easy to learn tool for email marketing, Mailchimp is a good option. If you are looking to have a lot of control over the HTML of the email or any kind of marketing automation for triggered campaigns, it is less ideal. Content is easy to import and edit in the tool.
Very simple to learn to use. Tutorials are helpful and thorough. Anyone with basic knowledge of email marketing would easily get started on Mailchimp.
We only use it to send monthly emails.
Read Mary Monday's full review
Tory Robinson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Mailchimp is being utilized by the marketing department at my company. It allows us to reach customers and prospects who have opted in to our email communications. It allows us to gauge engagement across different segments within our email distribution list as well. It's significantly improved our marketing efforts as it relates to marketing campaigns.
  • Mailchimp has a solid job with reporting and analytics; it gives my team actionable insights.
  • The templates on Mailchimp are easily customizable and aesthetically pleasing.
  • It's simple and easy to use. There is a slight learning curve.
  • The analytics are fine but I believe it doesn't allow you to drill down very far into the metrics.
  • I wish there were more robust features around sending emails to customized segment groups such as those that did not open a previous email in the cadence.
  • There isn't much around creating a campaign that can include social media, landing pages, etc.
Mailchimp is well suited for smaller businesses that do not run robust marketing programs. I believed this email marketing platform is best for companies who run one-off emails, such as promoting webinars and events, rather than a consistent set of email cadences. It's most likely suited for marketing coordinators of smaller enterprises.
I've had several other marketing platforms that required extensive training and getting used to. On the other hand, I would consider Mailchimp very "turnkey." Once implemented, my team and I were able to quickly understand and grasp the different functionality and features of the platform, which is saying a lot in today's digital age.
Since we have the lowest paid version of Mailchimp and we haven't adopted a plethora of other paid platforms, we haven't integrated much with Mailchimp. I believe Mailchimp is already robust in its features but we haven't yet taken advantage of integrated other functions or platforms into this email marketing platform. It'll be an action item for our team in the future.
Read Tory Robinson's full review
March 16, 2021
Cory Dawson | TrustRadius Reviewer
It was used within our marketing department to push monthly emails until we moved to a more targeted approach. For the most part it is great for smaller companies, or those who aren't using more in depth e-commerce tracking. It gives a clean interface to make simple emails look great overall.
  • Clean.
  • Easy.
  • Simple.
  • In-depth E-commerce.
  • Better Segmenting.
  • More design options.
I think Mailchimp has its niches on why it could be good for certain company. It is a widely known product that can even be free for some smaller users. I do feel like it is a good product and gets the job done for those who need a less in depth experience in the email marketing world.
Very simple to use. The "what you see, is what you get" editor does what it is supposed to do. I dock it a few points just because sometimes when you try to change things in the design it doesn't like to fully change or keep things consistent across different email inboxes.
We already had much more advanced tools in place, so we didn't need to use most of Mailchimp's all in one marketing features. We used them purely for their email marketing content creation and to try and track business through their platform. Overall, even the tracking wasn't as accurate as Klaviyo.
Read Cory Dawson's full review
March 15, 2021
Kristi Porter | TrustRadius Reviewer
I used Mailchimp at my previous job for quite a number of years for event marketing communication to attendees, so it was an easy decision to also use it for the last four years in my own business as well. I use it to gather emails for my monthly newsletter and deliver my opt-ins and sales funnels. It is easy to integrate with my Squarespace site, so that also made it an easy decision. Overall, I like the layout and drag-and-drop features, and it helps that I have so much automated with email sequences. As a solopreneur, I have limited time and resources, and Mailchimp was a good email marketing tool to begin with in my new business.
  • Squarespace integration is very easy.
  • The free account makes it an easy decision to choose as I was getting my business off the ground.
  • Creating and sending emails is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I like the varied options to showcase my brand.
  • There are lots of templates and options to choose from for whatever type of email you need to send.
  • I live in Atlanta where they are HQ'd and I really like how involved they are in the community.
  • As they add more features, the interface gets bulky and hard to navigate. I sometimes forget where to find things or how to add new emails, etc.
  • With the new features, the pricing has increased significantly and I question the value for my own needs. I previously had a free account and then downgraded.
  • Email marketing is their core offering, but it seems clunky now that they have all their new features. I wish they would have focused on that before expanding into so many other areas.
  • In my opinion, adding automations is a difficult process and takes me much longer than it should.
  • I can't have one email list and also have multiple opt-ins, so I do a lot of manual maneuvering when new people are added.
  • The tagging feature needs improvement because it doesn't seem easy to use and update a bunch of people at once.
  • Email customer service isn't included with free plans.
  • I have selected that people must check options for email lists, GDPR, and that they won't receive the opt-in without them, but it doesn't look like that's happening.
Mailchimp is best suited for startups who need to bootstrap and for those with simple email marketing needs. Need a free tool? Go for it. Need to only send to one list and only have one opt-in? Proceed. Want an email marketing tool with lots of other add-ons and features? This could be for you.

However, I saw early on that it wouldn't grow with me. I know that very large companies use it, so I fully admit that there are probably things I don't understand or maybe am not using correctly. But the problem is that when they first started, they were easy to use and ahead of the curve. I loved it. But I feel like they've just become complex and bulky, though, as they add features. Why have I been with them for years and it seems to become harder to use?
I feel like the more features they add, the harder it becomes to use. It started out very innovative and user-friendly, but I wouldn't say that's the case for Mailchimp anymore. I've been sending simple emails and campaigns for a long time, so that's pretty second nature at this point. And I have templates set up for duplication which also makes it easier to execute quickly. But adding automations, in particular, is very difficult, in my opinion. I feel like I always need a tutorial when I'm going back to either start something new or even just making updates to a current series. It's also not that easy to add new lists and connect new opt-ins. Integrating with Squarespace is the easy part, but it should be a smoother process to get the rest of it set up.
I only use Mailchimp for sending emails. I don't use the landing page tool or any of the other features. Because I'm not loving the main service anymore, I'm not willing to pay for the other stuff. Additionally, they've started pricing themselves out of what I can afford.

Having digital ads and social media also built-in seems like a great idea, and in theory, I love the idea of an all-in-one marketing platform, but I'm having so many other issues with the email marketing that I am not really willing to put in the time to learn their other stuff. Also, advertising isn't as much of a focus for me right now since my clients primarily come from referrals.
Read Kristi Porter's full review
March 14, 2021
Eric Serdar | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Mailchimp to help use communicate updates to different departments in the organization. When we need to update a team and see how many people opened the email, clicked on the content in it, and/or watched the videos it's been really helpful. We use Mailchimp as a purely internal communication tool. It has helped us move quickly when updating the organization while still giving us the visibility on how effective our comms are.
  • Open/Click metrics
  • Reporting
  • List segmentation
  • Design functionality
  • Automation can be clunky
This tool is great for small businesses. It's great to get you started and up and running. You'll be able to segment lists, create your own email templates (or upload ones that you've created), create automation based on actions, and see the success of your campaigns. If you're new to email marketing/automation this is a great tool to get started with.
Mailchimp is very easy to use and learn. There's very little outside help or tutorials that you'd need to watch to get going with this. They do have these if you want to dive in and become a master though. This is a very user friendly tool that anyone can pick up and use.
We used to use Mailchimp for almost all of our email needs (internal & external) as our external needs grew we moved to a different software. However, we still rely heavily on Mailchimp to inform our internal teams. The ability to segment by department/division has been great for us. This has given us the ability to move quickly and tailor messages to each team.
Read Eric Serdar's full review
Ryan Sarti | TrustRadius Reviewer
Email continues to become increasingly important. With the pandemic and WFH, surface mail has lost some effectiveness. You need a way to reach people where they are, especially when you don't know if they are in the office or at home. If you are in marketing, you fully understand how everything shifted in one day. I had a really unique mail campaign queued up. That went on hold and a year later hasn't returned. I am not sure if that one is ever coming back.
There are lots of email programs out there. I chose Mailchimp and I keep using it for the same reasons. First and foremost, the emails look great. Whether they are viewed on a big screen or a phone, they all format very well. That is the first big check box.
The second big check box is the ease of use. Mailchimp scores very well on ease of use. The templates are well constructed and there are more than enough templates to meet any need.
Last is customization. Again, Mailchimp scores exceptionally well making it very easy to customize any of the templates.
Well done, Mailchimp!
  • Ease of use.
  • Customization.
  • Price point - very budget friendly.
  • Advance scheduling.
  • Calendar look for scheduling.
  • Folders and view sorting could be better.
  • Doesn't have resend logic to automatically send the piece again to those who didn't open.
If you like to be ahead of the curve with planning and scheduling your emails, the advance scheduling feature is terrific. With the calendar view, you can see when everything hits the outbox. The option to send so it lands at the optimal time in the recipient's inbox is great. I market to 43 countries. Being able to time it to the inbox really matters.
The ability to tag and curate your lists is easy. Not matter how good your emails are if you don't have a good list, your content doesn't matter.
Mailchimp makes it easy to get it, get it done, and get out. In today's world, where every minute matters, the speed of process is a big part of the value proposition for software. Mailchimp scores very well here. I can get in, craft an email quickly, look at the calendar for that list, schedule it, and walk away. Done!

The ability to customize the templates is very good. All fast. Viewing screen size doesn't matter, the Chimp has it covered.
I haven't used the landing pages yet. I've considered it, but my current landing page solution seems to be working fine and so I am not inclined to move away from something that works. I will say, that given the user interface with the Chimp, my suspicions are that the landing pages are easy to set up and use.
Read Ryan Sarti's full review
Ashlie Pappas | TrustRadius Reviewer
I help get new wellness professionals get set up in their Mailchimp software as it's still one of the most popular starter autoresponders, due to its affordable price point and robust (from the view of someone newer in their business) capabilities. Mailchimp makes it easy to build and nurture a list - especially with their features that have been added in the past couple years, albeit making it a bit more complex and less intuitive.
I personally use Mailchimp as a backup to my regular autoresponder system as I've had my account for over 7 years and it has always been reliable - usually running a couple opt-in campaigns into it at any given time.
  • Price point.
  • Integrations.
  • Commitment to adapt to meet user needs.
  • Ability to give access to VAs.
  • With the added features, the platform is no longer intuitive and easy to figure out.
  • Unless VA is a recognized Mailchimp Agency Partner, it uses a "seat" to give them access, otherwise password must be shared and coordination set to pass off the verification code.
  • It seems like MC is trying to compete with platforms like ConvertKit, Keap, etc., but the UX is extremely more overwhelming and less effective. It's currently stuck in limbo between beginners software and a full on CRM.
  • Since they are constantly adapting to meet the times, their platform changes pretty frequently which can be frustrating.
  • The email autoresponder capabilities could be improved greatly.
  • The user interface is trendy, but is VERY fatiguing to the eyes if you work in Mailchimp for any extended period of time.
Mailchimp will probably always be my go-to for those who are just starting their list or online business, as it is easy to use for basic functions.

However, I don't think it's a great option for anyone with a sizable list who needs advanced email marketing capabilities. Even with their most recent changes, the interface is hard to look at for any extended period of time and is cheesy. To be honest, it may be my prejudice from working with other email platforms and the difference in user interface. For someone who starts and grows with Mailchimp, it could very well handle more complex functions considering the newer features such as "Journey" automations. But it still doesn't feel very intuitive where other platforms are.
The user interface and use of trendy terms for functions (such as "journey" for the advanced campaign builder) are confusing and not intuitive. However, with a little time and learning, it does what it's supposed to do and is reliable as an autoresponder.
With their regular updates and large platform changes, it can be frustrating to get accustomed to a new interface or system and then have it completely changed, having to learn it all over again.
They do have an extensive support system and it is easy to find instructions on how to navigate the software (making sure to search based on recent materials provided so you don't end up with obsolete instruction).
They are trying to do too much here when they need to focus on building out their email autoresponder abilities and user interface.
When I think of autoresponders, Mailchimp comes to mind immediately.
When I think of shopping carts, e-commerce, graphic design, web hosting, landing pages, etc - Mailchimp isn't a blip on the radar. It's very rare you find a software that has truly mastered being a "jack of all trades," and Mailchimp isn't one of them.
Read Ashlie Pappas's full review
Matthew Gardner | TrustRadius Reviewer
Mailchimp was used for email campaigns as they got us onboard with their free plan initially. Eventually, we upgraded for more features. It accomplishes the task of sending out newsletters for email-based marketing without ending up in spam folders if your content is not terrible. We needed a platform that did not require technical skill to design and send good-looking emails.
  • Creating and managing contact lists.
  • B2C marketing.
  • Template selection.
  • Scheduled send.
  • B2B sales features.
  • API/Transactional email.
  • Power of Slack integration (bounces, etc.).
Mailchimp is a great all-around tool but doesn't specifically master any one use case except "general, low-touch newsletter". To get the power of a lot of sales/marketing tools you'd have to use the API a ton, and the Slack integration is not as powerful as I would like. If I just wanted to build a mid-size newsletter with manual sign ups I'd definitely use Mailchimp, but for a larger SaaS company you need more specialized power.
Simple enough to design emails, but overly complicated outside of that. Not straightforward to accomplish all the things you'd want without a dev. Should focus on some no-code solutions as dev doesn't have limitless time to trigger events, etc.
I don't think of Mailchimp as an all-in-one marketing anything. It's an email sending tool, it should be part of a broader marketing strategy but not the be all end all. It doesn't help with CMS, outbound calls, follow ups, etc. and it definitely can't compete with big CRM players. I don't think that is the right way to describe it at all. It's a newsletter platform that's been beefed up over the years.
Read Matthew Gardner's full review
Matt Varney | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use [Mailchimp] as a light-weight CRM (Customer Relationships Manager) or online database of our members. We then build and design email newsletters for these same people. The system then allows us to track the interaction of those people with the newsletters, so we can determine if our messages are resonating.
  • Very easy to create new Newsletters based on templates, as well as easy to create and design new templates for reuse.
  • Easy to integrate with other systems, such as web sites, where people can sign up for newsletters and "become known" to us for further interaction.
  • For the end user or customer, it is also easy to manage their subscription or sign ups and they can opt out at any time.
  • I would like more ability to categorize and divide up our customer list (subscriber list), making it more of a robust CRM. This way we could provide different messages to targeted subsets of users.
  • I would like more available integrations with financial systems, such as those that would allow us to track dues of the members. Even Pay-Pal integration would be a plus.
  • Integrations with other common platforms, such as Eventbrite, would also be welcome where we could track new or existing members coming to our events.
For the free tier, with a volume of 2500 emails, the solution is great. You can have a very professional looking (and acting) newsletter even if you are a small business with no budget. It also helps to be able to track all your interested parties (customers, members, etc), in an online and highly available manner. The mobile experience for the members is also pretty good.
Point and click (or WYSISYG) is always easy and usable. Additionally, the platform deserves praise for the ADA compliant and mobile friendly emails it generates, so the usability of what Mailchimp sends out is really good. In the free tier, where the options are not quite as vast, the basic choises are easy to use and implement.
We went from zero online marketing or communications to actually having something in very little time just by implementing Mailchimp. So we didn't have many online marketing functions in the first place. However, we can now instantly reach our 500 or so members with any message we choose AND give them a call to action AND track how that message was received.
Read Matt Varney's full review
Jason Rutel | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Mailchimp with multiple clients to manage their email campaigns, some landing pages, and even have it connected to a few woocommerce stores. As an agency owner, I love the fact that I can switch between multiple clients from a single login, and I know that the product will deliver on his promise. Mailchimp allows us to create engaging emails and schedule them ahead of time for clients.
  • Tons of integrations
  • User-friendly email builder
  • Would love to see a visual automation builder
  • Need the ability for users on a current list to have updated tags without creating a new list when sending via zapier or WordPress
Mailchimp is a great email campaign platform for anyone starting out, and also for agencies who need to manage multiple early stage clients. Once you get into more complicated automation, you may need to look for more developed solutions. If you need beautiful emails and an easy user interface, this is the place to go.
It’s always easy to use and makes sense. There are very few times where I run into something that is broken. It is very reliable and I know what to expect when I am working with the platform. The new beta email designer is still a work in progress, but the main designer and works great still! The only downside is a lack of visual automation builder, but that is not a dealbreaker for us.
I have utilized landing page builders on Mailchimp a few times in order to quickly capture emails and that has been a success. As a web developer they still have a long way to go in order to really have landing pages be the most useful solution. I have not spent a whole bunch of time using the Facebook ads side of it but I imagine it to be very useful.
Read Jason Rutel's full review
Jeanette Carroll | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Mailchimp for all email campaigns, some social media posts and sometimes to create postcard mailers for the entire organization. It allows me to manage different campaigns, send targeted campaigns and review the behavior of recipients. It also allows me to manage all my contacts easily by integrating with our CRM and website contact form activities.
  • Templates to use for emails
  • Recent updates allows more flexibility with type of campaigns
  • Good reporting structure
  • More templates to choose from would be great
  • Maybe a bit better organization in contacts, but still great
I think Mailchimp is great for small to mid-size businesses who want to send email campaigns, manage ads, create printed mailers like postcards, etc. I like the new option to manage social postings, which allows me to post information presented in campaigns without going to another platform to do so.
It is user friendly and pretty easy to get around in. I think more templates that can be edited would be great, but overall I think it's a great product that I will continue to use. If you are a small to mid-size business Mailchimp is a great product for campaigns, mailers, ads, etc.
I am able to do many marketing campaigns, manage contacts, tag contacts for targeted campaigns, create landing pages for campaigns, social postings, mailers, and more in one place. This saves time by not making me go from one tool to another to create a good campaign. Time is a precious commodity that I don't have a lot of so it's great to not have to move around a lot. I'm sure I'm not utilizing all the tools available to me, but give me more time and I'll be on it!
Read Jeanette Carroll's full review
Joanna García | TrustRadius Reviewer
The marketing team uses Mailchimp to keep up with the actual clients about the news in our business, blog posts, and any other information that is relevant for them. Also, the marketing team uses it for cold leads, they add them into a funnel for conversion inside Mailchimp.
  • Easy to set-up, you can choose the format for the mail.
  • Shows you the quality of the mail that you added.
  • Can use HTML of previous mails created in mailchimp.
  • The free templates are limitated
  • You can send only to 2000 at once
  • There is no guide for funnels, you have to create your own.
Perfect for small business that sells multiple services or products, since Mailchimp qualify the mail you can arrange a better funnel for retargeting. 2000 per campaign is enough for start-ups.
Versatile, user-friendly, and visually attractive, can be used for any level of expertise.
So far, we used it for mass communication for our clients, and has been great for cold leads. However, we use other platforms to manage marketing promotions.
Read Joanna García's full review

WYSIWYG email editor (291)
Dynamic content (283)
Ability to test dynamic content (271)
Landing pages (216)
A/B testing (237)
Mobile optimization (290)
Email deliverability reporting (531)
List management (309)
Triggered drip sequences (210)
Lead nurturing (2)
Lead scoring and grading (1)
Data quality management (1)
Automated sales alerts and tasks (1)
Calendaring (1)
Event/webinar marketing (1)
Social sharing and campaigns (2)
10.0
Social profile integration (1)
Dashboards (62)
Standard reports (305)
Custom reports (40)
API (2)
Role-based workflow & approvals (1)
Customizability (2)
6.2
Integration with Salesforce.com (2)
Integration with Microsoft Dynamics CRM (2)
Integration with SugarCRM (2)

What is Mailchimp?

Mailchimp is an all-in-one Marketing Platform for small businesses. The vendor says its goal is to help small businesses market smarter so they can grow faster. Mailchimp aims to be the backbone for customer relationships, with AI-powered, user-friendly tools. Mailchimp is designed to put the audience at the center so users can send marketing emails and automated messages, create targeted ad campaigns, build landing pages, send postcards, facilitate reporting and analytics, and sell online. The vendor reports that millions of businesses and individuals - from community organizations to Fortune 100 companies - use Mailchimp to connect with their audience with the right message, at the right time, in the right place. Founded in 2001 and based in Atlanta, GA, Mailchimp has 1000+ employees and is privately held.

Mailchimp Features

Email & Online Marketing Features

Has featureWYSIWYG email editor
Has featureDynamic content
Has featureAbility to test dynamic content
Has featureLanding pages