Overall Satisfaction with Kentico 8
Rockfish is a digital agency. As such we build all manner of websites for large and fortune 1000 clients. The technology department at Rockfish has specialized in several CMS platforms -- Kentico is one of our featured platforms for CMS-style site development. Many other departments across have aligned across the use of Kentico as a development platform.
- The primary selling point of Kentico is its tremendous value for the licensing dollar. When compared to high-dollar CMSs, Kentico provides a 95% of the functionality of a system like Sitecore or AEM at a fifth of the price.
- The development model for Kentico allows for quick entry for developers and a relatively low learning curve. Setup and install is also extremely easy.
- The CMS admin tool itself is quite intuitive and capable for easy ramp-up by non-technical staff members.
- Among top-tier CMS vendors, Kentico has far and away the best support and documentation available in the marketplace.
- Kentico needs to invest in more enterprise class environment management utilities -- example: global CDN support via the CMS is sorely lacking. There are work-arounds, but it should be more elegant.
- The Kentico staging module could be improved to support the concept of bundled releases. Current staging module functionality is good, but could be improved.
- Kentico ecommerce support is a touch immature. While content management is superb, Kentico lags in this area when compared to many open source ecommerce engines.
- Kentico is lacking MVC support. 99% of the time this isn't an issue for the end-user or business user, but can be a hurdle for technology teams depending on the team's makeup.
- Kentico has allowed us to deliver to clients more quickly, more cheaply, and with high quality to our clients. It's an inexpensive licensing model, an easy development platform, and powerful enough we can deliver amazing results to our clients.
- Kentico's quick setup and deployment model has allowed me to very quickly ramp up new developers. This saves money and time.
- We routinely see extraordinary returns in visits, time on page, and other critical metrics after rolling out Kentico-based systems/applications.
When discussing Kentico with clients, I find myself uttering the same phrase repeatedly. "Kentico provides 95% of the functionality of high-dollar CMSs at a fifth of the price." This allows clients to use the dollars they would have previously put towards licencing into feature development -- the true measure of your website. After using Sitecore and AEM extensively, I do not see those systems providing value equal to their licensing costs.
Kentico 8 scales extremely well from project budgets targeted under 50,000 to projects well over 1 million dollars. I've successfully applied the system to both internal business applications as well as high-volume B2C applications. I would avoid using Kentico 8 in situations where the client has extremely specific administration needs.