Aids Remote Work Among All Levels of Tech Savvy-ness
August 23, 2022

Aids Remote Work Among All Levels of Tech Savvy-ness

I am a user experience researcher hired out through a staffing company on a contract with an information and telecommunications company. I spend a lot of time doing desk research and preparing presentations for staff at the IT company. I use Miro to get full participation from the groups that I remotely present to, to get buy-in and to allow everyone to express their opinions. With another company, I have used it to great effect for running remote design sprints. It allows all members in a group to be focused around the same things, but to quietly contribute their ideas in writing, for example. It is a democratizing tool, because in a normal meeting, the loudest person, or the first person to speak, or the person with the most power will often dictate the direction without allowing the group to generate multiple ideas. Miro allows for anonymous voting, it has easy to use tools like timers and it's simple enough for non-tech savvy group members to catch on quickly.
  • Creating sticky notes for all group members to add their thoughts in many colors.
  • Templates for things like user flows to help presenters in design sprints.
  • Anonymous voting even over the course of several days, which is very effective if working asynchronously.
  • A timer/countdown clock.
  • The zoom in/out function on Mac is not intuitive.
  • Could use more design sprint-type templates.
  • Sharing ownership of a Miro board should be easier.
  • It allowed a group of people that had two distinct camps to focus on one objective to get accomplished.
  • Having group members write their ideas before speaking allowed everyone in the meeting to feel heard.
  • Laughs aren't dollars, but we were able to laugh and have a good time around the ideas we shared. Positive collaboration turns into money down the road. When people enjoy working together, better work gets done.
I'm not sure about this aspect of Miro so I answered with a 7 because I don't know. It says it integrates with other software and services, but I've only used it independently.
I work 100% remotely. Miro is the only way I can gather with my colleagues around a table, and it has worked very well for us. We collaborate on ideas for the direction that our business should go and share ideas virtually through Miro.

Not sure

I have used MURAL while working independently, and it is similar to Miro in terms of features, capabilities, and ease of use.
Remote group work- yes. With group members who are not very tech savvy- yes. If what you want to do involves writing a text on a lot of sticky notes, yes. Information architecture, yes. You can expand the board almost infinitely. In-person- less so. If you want to draw or design- less so.