Light Review
August 26, 2022

Light Review

We use Miro to gather references for art, in my case, to create graphic design moodboards in search of narrowing in on a particular art style. It works as a way to collect videos, websites, and images in one place, as well as to easily annotate those images and collaborate with one another on creating said moodboards.
  • Miro's collaboration is its strongest suit -- it's very easy to see what a coworker is doing at any given time, and I've never had any issues working together on one document.
  • There is a lot of flexibility with being able to resize images and add relevant comments. We use it for mood boards, but we've also used it to plan production and it's moved between the two with ease.
  • Embedding videos is annoying and doesn't preview as well as you'd hope for a reference board.
  • Websites like Behance get previewed as videos, meaning you have to click through to see the entire page and clutter a mood board with words where one wants images.
  • Improved productivity and speed of communication for collaboration between small groups of employees.
We use it as an SSO service. It's easy to log in to and slotted into our workflows nicely -- as we used it at the beginning of a project, it was easy to start using it as our primary reference gathering tool. Links and boards are very easily shared out as well as easily kept private, and its built-in organization makes it simple to find previous boards you've worked on. I do wish, however, that it accepted different kinds of links such as videos more easily, and that it required fewer clicking through elements in order to access them.
It has made it easier to communicate while working on a board actively together and when contributing to it separately, as well as made it simpler to turn thoughts into something akin to a presentation.

Not sure

Miro is great for groups of people, scaling well to team size and use case. I like it for mood boards, though it could use some improvement in this regard, I feel it's very well suited towards creating early plans in groups: It's easy to collaborate with others, drag and drop any ideas you have as you have them, and quickly reorganize your page to be easily browsed.