Nutanix Prism Review
April 03, 2017
Nutanix Prism Review
Score 9 out of 10
- Nutanix Prism
Overall Satisfaction with Nutanix
We use nutanix to power 20 virtual servers and 330 virtual desktops. It is used for our entire school district. Using it enabled us to virtualize all our secretary/admin staff machines and 300 student machines. We now update one machine and push out the updates, saving us a huge amount of time and providing reliable machines we can reimage in a moments notice if a student or staff downloads malware or a virus.
- prism is great for managing updates across the platform. Just 2 clicks and the hosts are updated, no other action required. Also no reboots required usually.
- Tech support is very pricey but very knowledgeable. All support engineers are very helpful and always resolve our issues quickly.
- It provides great redundancy for our environment. Several times a host has failed and nutanix was able to move everything over without any of our users even being aware. The hybrid of flash and standard storage works great.
- Cost. nutanix is very, very expensive. Support is very pricey as well, but is basically an annual insurance plan. Covers all support and any replacement part costs. Not worth what they charge in my opinion, especially if you have multiple nutanix nodes like we do. It could be half the cost and I would be happy.
- Updates to ESXi hosts only occur automatically if you have VMware DRS. We don't pay for the licensing so we have to manually move machines off each host to reboot them. Not horrible but annoying.
- We use VM as our hypervisor, but nutanix does have their own (Acropolis). If acropolis ever did linked clones like VMware does we would switch in a second.
- Huge ROI. We now have virtual desktops that replaced 330 machines, we no longer have to purchase or manage 300+ machines.
- Virtual server uptime has been 100% thanks to nutanix; very reliable solution.
nutanix was the only solution we looked at, other than a standard setup of 3 servers with a san.